DS Forums

My opinion is very important, and deserves its own thread

View Poll Results: Which Series 6 guest star was your favourite?
MICHAEL GAMBON (Kazran Sardick, A Christmas Carol) 5 21.74%
KATHERINE JENKINS (Abigail Pettigrew, A Christmas Carol) 0 0%
LAURENCE BELCHER (Young Kazran, A Christmas Carol) 0 0%
MARK SHEPPARD (Canton Delaware III, The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon) 1 4.35%
STUART MILLIGAN (Richard Nixon, The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon) 0 0%
HUGH BONNEVILLE (Henry Avery, The Curse of the Black Spot) 0 0%
LILY COLE (The Siren, The Curse of the Black Spot) 0 0%
SURANNE JONES ("Sexy"/Idris, The Doctor's Wife) 11 47.83%
SARAH SMART (Jennifer Lucas, The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People) 0 0%
RAQUEL CASSIDY (Cleaves. The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People) 0 0%
FRANCES BARBER (Madame Kovarian, A Good Man Goes to War, The Wedding of River Song, various) 1 4.35%
CHRISTINA CHONG (Lorna Bucket, A Good Man Goes To War) 0 0%
NEVE McINTOSH (Vastra, A Good Man Goes To War) 0 0%
CATRIN STEWART (Jenny Flint, A Good Man Goes To War) 0 0%
DAN STARKEY (Strax, A Good Man Goes To War) 2 8.70%
SIMON FISHER-BECKER (Dorium Maldovar, A Good Man Goes To War, The Wedding of River Song) 0 0%
NINA TOUSSAINT-WHITE (Mels, Let's Kill Hitler) 0 0%
DANIEL MAYS (Alex, Night Terrors) 0 0%
JAMIE ORAM (George, Night Terrors) 0 0%
AMARA KARAN (Rita, The God Complex) 3 13.04%
DAVID WALLIAMS (Gibbis, The God Complex) 0 0%
JAMES CORDEN (Craig Owen, Closing Time) 0 0%
LYNDA BARON (Val, Closing Time) 0 0%
IAN McNIECE (Emperor Winston Churchill, The Wedding of River Song) 0 0%
Voters: 23. You can't vote on this poll right now - are you signed in?

Old 15-07-2015, 12:48
Abomination
Forum Member

We move onto Series 6 now, which offered an array of guest stars across a variety of stories - and the first series to be split into two parts.

You can see previous thread results here...
Series 1
Series 2
Series 3
Series 4
The Tenth Doctor Specials
Series 5

The poll will once again be open for a week (closing on Wednesday 22nd). The winner will be added to the final poll to be conducted after all eight series have been voted on.
For the benefit of consistency with other series, the poll excludes any lead or significant recurring characters. In the case of Series 6, this includes Matt Smith, Karen Gillan, Arthur Darvill, Alex Kingston and Caitlin Blackwood. A number of actors made cameo appearances across Series 6, but only their main appearances have been listed.

Who was your favourite guest star in Series 6?
Abomination is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 16-07-2015, 11:56
Abomination
Forum Member

I settled on a vote for Michael Gambon this time around, one of the fastest votes I've cast. A Christmas Carol as a whole ranks as one of my all-time favourite episodes for various reasons, and it's certainly my favourite Moffat-era story. Gambon is in no small part responsible for that...his character isn't one of the shows most important (far from it!) but everything about this was just beautifully done.

That being said, Series 6 had some of the most powerful performances of all - from both guest stars and from the leads themselves. Ironically enough it was also one of the less popular series.
Old 16-07-2015, 12:07
iaindb
Forum Member

Special mention for Nina Toussaint-White as Mels (Shame she wasn't in the episode for longer), but my vote goes to Suranne Jones, a very talented actress who was superb as the human version of the TARDIS. I like to see her come back as a semi-regular character.
iaindb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 12:14
Abomination
Forum Member

Special mention for Nina Toussaint-White as Mels (Shame she wasn't in the episode for longer),
Shame she wasn't in the series for longer. I felt she did a brilliant job with a very difficult character, and she wasn't given a lot to work with. Mels was arguably one of the most conveniently placed resolutions to a story arc anyone has ever delivered in a major TV show ("our baby Melody has gone missing in time, but look there's our mysterious best friend Mels who we've never mentioned but is now relevant to the story") and some more foreshadowing would have been nice. I liked everything about Let's Kill Hitler (unlike many) except for how Mels was shoehorned in.
Old 16-07-2015, 12:25
Michael_Eve
Forum Member

Personally very fond of this series, whilst am aware it appears rather divisive, so this is a toughie. A Christmas Carol is my favourite Christmas Special thus far, so Gambon is right up there. So is Mark Sheppard, James Corden, Neve McIntosh, Amara Karan and would also commend a splendid performance by David Walliams. Love The God Complex!

But, because I absolutely adored the episode and it could've gone so wrong but didn't, it's got to be Suranne for me. Some of my favourite scenes with a favourite Doctor were between her and Matt. So Sexy it is!
Michael_Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 13:21
Dave-H
Forum Member

Frances Barber for me.
A great character, in many ways a prototype for Missy I suspect, played to perfection.
Dave-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 16:59
krikkiter68
Forum Member

Definitely Suranne, loved her performance. Mark Sheppard a very close second. Special mention to always-superb Daniel Mays too.
krikkiter68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 00:52
Abomination
Forum Member

Frances Barber for me.
A great character, in many ways a prototype for Missy I suspect, played to perfection.
She really was terrific, but sadly underused in the end. In fact, I agree with you that she seems almost like a Missy prototype...I just wish I didn't agree with you. It would have been terrific to see a brand new female villain - the show has so very few (even less at the time of Series 6 before Missy was on the scene) and I wouldn't have minded having her back. I really thought The Time of the Doctor would have been a great time for that, but it would have been a great time for a fair few things that never happened.

Kovarian was a victim of a story arc that didn't pay off, or indeed really go anywhere. The fate of her character was left up in the air - only her River's World parallel was killed off after all. Nonetheless I don't expect to be seeing her back - she didn't leave a lasting impression for the mainstream viewer I don't think...again, such a shame.

Series 6 is so weird...there's so much I love about it and it has some of my all-time favourite Moffat-era episodes. But so much was also wrong with it. I think it had some of the biggest potential and the best ingredients of all... but the final product was one capable of so much more.