DS Forums

My opinion is very important, and deserves its own thread

Old 19-02-2015, 04:18
FIFA1966
Forum Member

These were unused, imagine the complaints:

http://doctorwho.io9.com/these-unuse...tic-1659319048
FIFA1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 19-02-2015, 09:58
joe_000
Forum Member

Like the Mondas style cyberman with the more human face. Really creepy. Cyberman these days are too much like mindless generic robots rather than cyborgs.
joe_000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 13:28
cat666
Forum Member

Mondas Cybermen looked bad. Obviously tights over the face, with folds being seen all over the place.
cat666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 16:57
adams66
Forum Member

Mondas Cybermen looked bad. Obviously tights over the face, with folds being seen all over the place.
That was kind of the point - that they looked like humans that had been... augmented, added to, adapted and improved. Having cloth face masks with folds in simply isn't an issue. Just as having human hands isn't.

There's something scarily, horribly mundane about the Tenth Planet Cybermen. They're not shiny, uniform, pneumatic, clanking robots - they are us, but just weirdly different, with voices that just sound that little bit wrong, and with the physical 'improvements' held together by sellotape and glue. I really wish they'd return in some form.
adams66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 17:18
chuffnobbler
Forum Member

Yes, I think the Mondas Cybermen are very creepy. They're more obviously semi-human than any other Cybermen, and that's one of the reasons they're so unsettling. From 1968 to the present-day, Cybermen might as well be robots. Even if we see people being converted into Cybermen (Attack of...), or see Cybermen crying (Yvonne Hartman), they still look like robots. The creaky-croaky voices of the 60s are much missed in the Chuff household, too.
chuffnobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 01:04
kninemark2
Forum Member

The second one down look like a power ranger.

Wasn't there concept art of a Borg like cyberman from the 80's
kninemark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 10:14
Mr Seta
Forum Member

That first one under the concept art looks pretty cool/ creepy.

One of the biggest shortcomings of the cybermen is they are pretty limited and one dimensional in terms of plot. Or at least they have been up to now. But I'm sure they are missing a trick here with Who. The Doctor is a time traveller so why does he have to always meet a more advanced version of the cybermen? Why don't they bring back the original more humanised version for a few stories? Not in terms of cloth masks & sing song voices but a gruesome half human type (similar to the first one here in the concept art) which represents the original version. And why stop there? Why not have a double episode where the Doctor comes up with the idea to bring the original & the new versions together to try and destroy/ upgrade each other rather than the human race?
Mr Seta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 10:46
saladfingers81
Forum Member

Maybe after the Dalek debacle Moffat was wary of messing too much with an established classic villain and design? Maybe not. Whatever the reason it's a shame they haven't been braver with the Cybermen in recent years as the ones we have had since 2005 have been dreadfully clunky and poorly designed and are just begging for a proper reboot. I used to find the original Cybermen terrifying. Even the ones in the Eighties. The voices. The movement. The whole look of them.

The New Who ones are too much robot. Cumbersome and dopey. Too sleek and clean. Almost to the extent they risk blighting good stories. How much better it was in Death in Heaven when Danny had his mask off and we got a glimpse at the true body horror behind the concept and shiny metal surfaces. More of this! How much scarier they would have been in that episode or indeed any if the line between robot and human was blurred a bit more. I know it's a family show so they can't go too far with the concept of dead human tissue being melded with machine but there is room for a bit more there. Instead we are stuck with a bunch of bumbling tin men and ten years in Stonehenge zombie Cyberhead and Danny Cyberman are as good as its got.

S8 finale was definitely a step in the right direction after the lame and toothless appearances previously. But more needs to be done.
saladfingers81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 00:14
kninemark2
Forum Member

Couldn't find the image I was after but did find this which I love

https://whopix.files.wordpress.com/2...n-cyberman.jpg
kninemark2 is offline   Reply With Quote