Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Stella (sky One)

Old 15-01-2012, 11:45
JustJanetnoJohn

high hopes more like the valleys people ? ? ?
what is that then thick as s..t ? ? ? ?

being from south Wales i actually found it great and could see the similarities .
i am from Swansea but as i don't know every single person in Swansea i don't know if anyone didn't enjoy it so wont bother commenting.
With high hopes I was trying to say that Boyd Clack captures the valleys humour better than Ruth Jones. Boyd's characters are way out there anyway but Ruth's characters are meant to be NORMAL valleys people. And that where it doesn't work in MY opinion, just comes off very insulting and stereotyped. And no we don't COCKING keep ponys in our houses. When is the next series of Gavin and Stacey?
JustJanetnoJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 15-01-2012, 11:51
JustJanetnoJohn

Being nosy here, but whereabouts is your MiL's street?
I recognise Tonyrefail Comp but can't place some of the other locations.
I don't want to give my mam in law's street away but it was in the Cymmer Porth area. And I know they used Bronwydd house Porth for the wedding as they couldn't get Pontypridd registry office. Hope this helps. I think a lot of the first episode was filmed down Caerphilly way. Rugby club and such.
JustJanetnoJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 12:11
tushingham
Forum Member

I don't want to give my mam in law's street away but it was in the Cymmer Porth area. And I know they used Bronwydd house Porth for the wedding as they couldn't get Pontypridd registry office. Hope this helps. I think a lot of the first episode was filmed down Caerphilly way. Rugby club and such.
Thanks. I recognised main street in Talbot Green last week and could pick out parts of Rhondda Fach too.
tushingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 13:44
MR. Macavity
Forum Member

Loving Stella so far - not from Wales but do have a lot of relatives and friends in the Swansea area, programme is really making me smile...........almost as much as the parochial Welsh banter on this thread!

I'm from Cornwall - so a lot of the humour 'translates' very well to my part of the world as well!
MR. Macavity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 12:29
stingersplash
Forum Member

did anyone else miss the second half of episode 3? i recorded it, and thought it was odd when the planner said it had recorded a 60 minute episode of the simpsons - i watched it anyway, and there was a technical issue about 15 mins in with loss of sound - but then halfway through, the screen goes black - and hey presto - HD Stella gone, SD simpsons episode from i think season 2 is on.

really gutted as they only do one HD repeat - next bloody thursday.

looks like ill have to ''slum it'' and catch it on sky 2 tomorrow night.
stingersplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 12:32
alves
Forum Member

Its repeated on Sky One tonight (9pm I think) because of the tech problems.
alves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 13:34
stingersplash
Forum Member

cheers for that - i know it wasnt supposed to be on tonight so thats good to know. ill tune in at 9.30 to pick up where i left off
stingersplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 14:33
Spanner82
Forum Member

I dont understand the hate, I like this show, to be fair I liked trollied and Mount Pleasent...didnt like the cafe and havent watched The Spy yet
Spanner82 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 17:03
gavin shipman
Forum Member

How people can not like this programme is beyond me.

It's a breath of fresh air the whole cast is fantastic and it's rating very well.

Ruth Jones is fantastic. I hope she makes another series.
gavin shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 17:13
sp2011
Inactive Member

Love Stella, brilliant show
sp2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 18:09
tawe
Forum Member

Gutted I forgot about it . Hope I can catch up on it
tawe is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 18:11
Mishcoll
Forum Member

Thanks for this I hadn't noticed and my box is set for Casualty and Cloudstreet so 1 if not more of the 3 shows wouldn't have recorded. I'll have to find the Cloudstreet repeat now.
Mishcoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 18:16
barnsleykeith
Forum Member

Thanks for this I hadn't noticed and my box is set for Casualty and Cloudstreet so 1 if not more of the 3 shows wouldn't have recorded. I'll have to find the Cloudstreet repeat now.
Cloudstreet is repeated on:-

Tuesday 11;10pm
Wednesday 10:15pm
barnsleykeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 18:24
daleman
Forum Member

Thanks for that , My wife thought thought she had set the recording wrong.
daleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 22:33
NormandyMary
Forum Member

Well all I can say is, it was worth waiting for. Im just really loving this series. OK so its not "laugh out loud" comedy, but it is very amusing, and I think its great.
NormandyMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 00:25
cassie1984
Forum Member

I dont understand the hate, I like this show, to be fair I liked trollied and Mount Pleasent...didnt like the cafe and havent watched The Spy yet
I agree with some of that i don't understand the hate as well. I also like Mount Pleasent and i also saw some of trollied but not all of them but thought they were good. but haven't seen the cafe or The Spy.
cassie1984 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 05:05
Rakshauk
Forum Member

I'm really enjoying it, and dare I say it, I think it has the potential to be as big as Fools and Horses.
Rakshauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 09:02
Mishcoll
Forum Member

Cloudstreet is repeated on:-

Tuesday 11;10pm
Wednesday 10:15pm
Thank-you, box is now set for tuesday.
Mishcoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 09:15
derek500
Forum Member

Bit late, but they put Stella on Anytime yesterday afternoon. So you could have watched/recorded both Casualty and Cloudstreet.
derek500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 10:19
The Moth
Forum Member

I've only seen the first episode so far but I loved it and think it looks likely to be head and shoulders better than anything else that Sky have produced.
The Moth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 14:12
JIMO96
Forum Member

Great characters, superb humour, but let down a little by the contrived plots.

If people could raise a large amount of cash like that in such a short space of time in real life, none of us would have money worries. Echoes of the slippery slope Shameless followed there....

And in soaps/sitcoms, when someone jumps to the front of a queue to do something annoying (like cash in a massive piggybank), nobody amongst the 10 people queued behind ever says a word.......cos that happens in real life, doesn't it?

That said, I did love the funeral speech, cut off after one line.....brilliant.
JIMO96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 14:16
bluebell smile
Forum Member

[quote=JustJanetnoJohn;55921760]I don't want to give my mam in law's street away but it was in the Cymmer Porth area. And I know they used Bronwydd house Porth for the wedding as they couldn't get Pontypridd registry office. Hope this helps. I think a lot of the first episode was filmed down Caerphilly way. Rugby club and such.[/Q

You're not far out the building they used for the Funeral Parlour and the schemes outside are in the main street going through Llanbradach.
bluebell smile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 14:21
Gooby
Forum Member

OK - I have waited until a few episodes in before giving my opinion as I really wanted to give it every chance. I thought after the first one it was ok - could be a slow burner. After the second one I decided I loved it. So very funny, funeral business, rampant sex games - fabulous.
Expecting to love the next episode and to be fair most of it was still great but it is the whole Stella/Shaun thing that I just can't get into.

I'm not saying a bloke can't fall for someone 10 years older - but it is an unusual thing to happen, especially with a really hot bloke. It would work though if there was just a tiny amount of chemistry but there isn't. That whole conversation at the end was cringing and ruined a great episode.

I hope the whole thing moves on quickly.

it is a bit similar to Miranda. Both written by very funny talented ladies and both end up with the 'not conventionally pretty' main characters getting a really hot younger boyfriend.

Mind you if I was the talented writer/actress I would damn well do that too!!!!
Gooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 14:26
cooperone
Forum Member

After reading some of the reviews on here after episode one, I was a little worried that I may not like this series. Well I think its brill, funny, and a breath of fresh air.

If someone can confirm for me, the son, Kyle, that got out of prison last week, was he in footballers wives, the loonatic boyfriend of Shanon?????
Thanks if anyone knows, driving me mad
cooperone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 14:32
ajr493
Forum Member

Just thought I would add my tuppence worth - I really enjoy Stella.

No, I don't think that everyone is Wales is like that, just the same as I don't think everyone in Manchester is like the characters in Shameless.

I really loved that Stella had thought up her druggie/drug dealer name this week.
ajr493 is offline   Reply With Quote