Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Stella (sky One)

Old 30-01-2012, 13:37
MR. Macavity
Forum Member

OK - I have waited until a few episodes in before giving my opinion as I really wanted to give it every chance. I thought after the first one it was ok - could be a slow burner. After the second one I decided I loved it. So very funny, funeral business, rampant sex games - fabulous.
Expecting to love the next episode and to be fair most of it was still great but it is the whole Stella/Shaun thing that I just can't get into.

I'm not saying a bloke can't fall for someone 10 years older - but it is an unusual thing to happen, especially with a really hot bloke. It would work though if there was just a tiny amount of chemistry but there isn't. That whole conversation at the end was cringing and ruined a great episode.

I hope the whole thing moves on quickly.

it is a bit similar to Miranda. Both written by very funny talented ladies and both end up with the 'not conventionally pretty' main characters getting a really hot younger boyfriend.

Mind you if I was the talented writer/actress I would damn well do that too!!!!
Yeah, I get that and I was thinking the same thing too.

But I would add that I do see that sort of thing happening in real life (at least in my town!) with people in their 30/40s, and also we don't know a lot about Shaun yet - he may have ulterior motives or there may be undercurrents that will be revealed later in the series.

All in all though, cracking so far - perfect Friday evening viewing with a glass or two of wine, Ruth Jones is so talented.
MR. Macavity is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 01-02-2012, 20:18
Loon
Forum Member

Well Ruth Jones is such a pretty lady! So I can see why someone would fall for her. He's a cute bloke but not that hot. He's clearly NOT from Barnsley with a Manc accent. But I'll let it slide cos I love this show!
Loon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:25
Maysie07
Forum Member

I'm absolutely loving this series although the preview for next week's episodes made me feel a little sad. Would be a shame if the teenage parents split up due to him cheating.
Maysie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 18:39
Stebates
Forum Member

I don't want to give my mam in law's street away but it was in the Cymmer Porth area. And I know they used Bronwydd house Porth for the wedding as they couldn't get Pontypridd registry office. Hope this helps. I think a lot of the first episode was filmed down Caerphilly way. Rugby club and such.
This show's locations does my head in everytime I see them so it does. The bloody show was filmed mainly in Tylorstown in the Rhondda Fach where I lived between 1968 to 1976. Brynbedw Rd where Dai and Paula live (no 53) was part of my paper round when I was a kid. I went to Ferndale Grammer School in Maerdy before it became a comp.. So recognising that and Parry St wher most of the filming takes place freaks me out a little when you consider I left Tylorstown in 76. The rugby field (with VIP area) is where I leaned to play the game. The bench is just below Tylorstown tip and you can often see Penrhys, Pontygwaith, Ferndale and Blaenllechau in shot. The fourth episode showed the kids training in Penrhys with Tonypandy in the background. The only location I don't recognise is the funeral directors exterior which I thought was Porth. Bugger all to do with Caerphilly it's the Rhondda.

I now live in Liverpool and both me and my English wife love the series because while the Welsh might not enjoy it, it is how we see people in the valleys about 10 years behind the rest of the UK. I still have family in the valleys and even they love the series so Ruth ignore the negatives, Stella is the dogs Cocking bollocks..
Stebates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 18:51
Mishcoll
Forum Member

This is one of the few tv programmes that I really look forward to each week. Cant believe we're 1/2 way through the series already. Sean is lovely and I hope Ruth has kept them together for the rest of the series. Hope it gets a 2nd series.
Mishcoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 19:27
derek500
Forum Member

It gets better every week. Love the running joke with the Daddy character, where everyone understands what he's saying, except the viewer.

In the first episode, I thought I just wasn't picking up his strong accent. After a couple of times it twigged!!

This week's episode was written by Steve "my name is Alan" Speirs.
derek500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:24
Frood
Inactive Member

This has become a gentle weekly treat.

The pain of Big Alun (it should be Alun, not Alan) is wonderful.

The incomprehensible (to us) old man is hilarious.

The whole thing works well.

I see no problem of Stella dating someone ten years younger, far from uncommon.

I have a friend who, until recently, would only date someone much younger than she was.
Frood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:31
newkid30
Forum Member

I'm loving this show, so well written, great characters, Ruth Jones is fantastic, it's been such a treat to stumble across this. A complete gem.
newkid30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:46
malpasc
Forum Member

LOVE Stella!

Really good comedy-drama. Not too heavy, humorous and sweet.

It is nice from time to time to have a programme you can just watch without getting too involved, or it having loads of plot twists and cliffhangers. Stella makes a good hour of television that you don't have to think about too much.

I hope it is doing well enough to consider a second series.
malpasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:38
mulderfan
Forum Member

I'm loving this show, so well written, great characters, Ruth Jones is fantastic, it's been such a treat to stumble across this. A complete gem.
totally agree,love this show
mulderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 15:39
gavin shipman
Forum Member

Fantastic Series.

I hope Sky1 recomission another series.

whole cast is brilliant. how is doing ratings wise?
gavin shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 22:02
kalispera
Forum Member

This show's locations does my head in everytime I see them so it does. The bloody show was filmed mainly in Tylorstown in the Rhondda Fach where I lived between 1968 to 1976. Brynbedw Rd where Dai and Paula live (no 53) was part of my paper round when I was a kid. I went to Ferndale Grammer School in Maerdy before it became a comp.. So recognising that and Parry St wher most of the filming takes place freaks me out a little when you consider I left Tylorstown in 76. The rugby field (with VIP area) is where I leaned to play the game. The bench is just below Tylorstown tip and you can often see Penrhys, Pontygwaith, Ferndale and Blaenllechau in shot. The fourth episode showed the kids training in Penrhys with Tonypandy in the background. The only location I don't recognise is the funeral directors exterior which I thought was Porth. Bugger all to do with Caerphilly it's the Rhondda.

I now live in Liverpool and both me and my English wife love the series because while the Welsh might not enjoy it, it is how we see people in the valleys about 10 years behind the rest of the UK. I still have family in the valleys and even they love the series so Ruth ignore the negatives, Stella is the dogs Cocking bollocks..
The reason you don't recognise the Funeral Directors is because it is in Caerphilly. Llanbradach to be precise - stick Frwd Terrace Llanbradach in Google Maps and you should recognise it. If it doesn't do your head in too much obviously ...

I love the series, only problem I have is Ruth Jones' accent is quite peculiar at times, especially considering she is actually Welsh! There again maybe she is speaking some strange new dialect I'm unfamiliar with, being 10 years behind the times and all ...

kalispera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:43
PERCYFURTER
Forum Member

The reason you don't recognise the Funeral Directors is because it is in Caerphilly. Llanbradach to be precise - stick Frwd Terrace Llanbradach in Google Maps and you should recognise it. If it doesn't do your head in too much obviously ...

I love the series, only problem I have is Ruth Jones' accent is quite peculiar at times, especially considering she is actually Welsh! There again maybe she is speaking some strange new dialect I'm unfamiliar with, being 10 years behind the times and all ...

Well said, being Rhondda born and bred know most of Stella isn't filmed in the Rhondda. Tonyrefail comprehensive and Caerphilly are not in the Rhondda. I lived all of my 40 years in the Rhondda, not 2 minutes.
PERCYFURTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:28
Loon
Forum Member

I think the poster re the location has the same minor (and it is v v minor cos I loves Stella I do) issue with Sean's accent. The actor is from Barnsley, the character is from Barnsley and I am also from that delightful town, however his accent appears to be more central Manchester than South Yorks. Now I don't have a Barnsley accent myself thanks to my lovely Ma and it is a hard one to do if you don't have it naturally so I don't blame him. I just think, instead of taking lessons in Northern accents from the Gary Barlow school of language, he should've listened to Uncle Mick (see below)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knVbqfzj57M

Now THAT is how Barnsley folk who haven't migrated or had a posh mother sound like!
Old 07-02-2012, 15:04
MorganleFay
Forum Member

I think Stella is a cocking good show and I do proper love it!
MorganleFay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 17:53
Shute
Forum Member

[quote=bluebell smile;56082872]
I don't want to give my mam in law's street away but it was in the Cymmer Porth area. And I know they used Bronwydd house Porth for the wedding as they couldn't get Pontypridd registry office. Hope this helps. I think a lot of the first episode was filmed down Caerphilly way. Rugby club and such.[/Q

You're not far out the building they used for the Funeral Parlour and the schemes outside are in the main street going through Llanbradach.
Just to add to the location spotting the "Lamb & Flag" in the Keckers/Tablo (Tableau?) episode is actually the Brunel Arms in Pontyclun - right opposite the railway station. Mystery of the massive film truck I was cursing for hogging all the parking spaces at the station last summer finally solved.
Shute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:13
derek500
Forum Member

Good news. Stella has been given a second series.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:24
MR. Macavity
Forum Member

Great news - as with Gavin and Stacey I don't think its one of those shows that will necessarily run for for more than 2 or 3 series but great to have at least one more.
MR. Macavity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:59
Loon
Forum Member

Woop! Looking forward to it already!
Old 09-02-2012, 09:50
Mishcoll
Forum Member

Mishcoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 13:27
teabag444
Forum Member

I saw this for the first time yesterday and really loved it. She is a very attractive lady ans lookes terrific on her date with Shaun.Sorry I missed the first episodes so hope it will repeat the series sometime.
teabag444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 20:08
thelostone
Inactive Member

I saw in the opening Stella that one of the directors is Tony Dow is this the same Tony Dow of Leave It To Beaver/New Leave It To Beaver?
thelostone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 20:12
wildbenji64

Has the always been a title sequence? That's the first time I've seen it, and I've watched every episode so far .
wildbenji64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 22:01
Loon
Forum Member

You know I said the same last week. I don't know why I hadn't noticed either!
Old 11-02-2012, 10:27
derek500
Forum Member

I saw in the opening Stella that one of the directors is Tony Dow is this the same Tony Dow of Leave It To Beaver/New Leave It To Beaver?
No. It's this one.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1222874/