Options

Picture Fault on Series 6 Blu Ray Set

GDKGDK Posts: 9,478
Forum Member
I've not seen it mentioned on here, so I thought I'd ask if anyone else has noticed the picture fault on the Series 6 Blu Rays?

In many scenes, but not all, and most noticable on darker scenes, there's a very noticable horizontal band of video noise across the lower third of the screen. Quite distracting.

I've contacted BBC Worldwide and they replied

"Dear Graeme

Thank you for your email concerning Doctor Who Series 6 Blu-Ray.

We are aware that there is an error with some of the content within this set for which we apologise. We take quality control very seriously and would like to confirm that the publishers are working as fast as possible to correct the issue.

We will be in touch in due course with details of how to obtain your replacement.

Kind regards
DVD Support"

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the post - my boxset does have this noise and also some very speckly things on darker images

Can you please tell me who I write to for a replacement? Can't find it on BBC DVD site

Thanks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I dunno about the Blu-Ray, but the regular DVD box set I have has a pretty poor picture quality all round. Bit murky and muddy, and not as nice as previous sets. I use an upscaling DVD player on a 32" HD set. Just me?
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's interesting that Worldwide have confirmed the problem. Everyone who has the set should email them as soon as.

Past sets have always been excellent quality so it's a shame this has happened. Maybe they were trying to save some money by skimping on the mastering??
  • Options
    EmpiricalEmpirical Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No its not a fault, Matt Smith really does look like that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's interesting that Worldwide have confirmed the problem. Everyone who has the set should email them as soon as.

Past sets have always been excellent quality so it's a shame this has happened. Maybe they were trying to save some money by skimping on the mastering??

Whats more interesting is that the publishers have acknowledged the fault, and yet they are still selling the sets as though theres nothing wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    HoCho wrote: »
    Thanks for the post - my boxset does have this noise and also some very speckly things on darker images

Can you please tell me who I write to for a replacement? Can't find it on BBC DVD site

Thanks

The email address I wrote to is this:

DVDSupport@bbc.com

I would recommend anyone who has the current series 6 Blu Rays should email them too. The greater the number of complaints they have, the more likely it is they will do something about it. If I hear anything more back myself, I will let you know.
  • Options
    Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad I held off buying it then! I won't buy it yet then.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those with the problem shouldn't worry. I'm sure they will eventually sort it out. They will have to wait until they can produce a new, corrected batch of the affected disc(s) which they will be able to send to customers as replacements, as well as using them in any new series 6 sets made.
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    I bought the two part sets when they first came out and mine are all fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    andy1231 wrote: »
    I bought the two part sets when they first came out and mine are all fine.

Interesting, that suggests the part one and part two sets are different BDs from the full series sets (or you're not seeing the fault on your equipment for some reason).

Do you get the (somewhat annoying) audio announcement at the beginning of each disc? Does it say "Doctor Who Series Six Blu Ray edition Part One"? or is there no indication that it's a part set...

Actually, thinking about it, they have to be different. The part one set must end with "A Good Man Goes to War". On the full series set, "Let's Kill Hitler" is on the same BD.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    GDK wrote: »
    The email address I wrote to is this:

DVDSupport@bbc.com

I would recommend anyone who has the current series 6 Blu Rays should email them too. The greater the number of complaints they have, the more likely it is they will do something about it. If I hear anything more back myself, I will let you know.

They've contacted me and told me they're making arrangements for replacements and will contact those who contact them about it when they have sorted that out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've just received another email from DVDsupport asking me "where I am based" for "clarification and their records".

Maybe I'm being too cautious, but I've not given them my full address details, just the town where I live. I'll wait for them setting up the returns programme.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Cheers GDK for the address.
    They asked me the same question; I gave city area and they said it was to work out where the bad bananas were hiding.
    DVD Support told me to hang until they have a replacement scheme sorted.
    I am so pleased you posted - Thought my Bluray was playing up at first.
    I owe you one buddy
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Should I wait a bit before I part with my cash for this then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Should I wait a bit before I part with my cash for this then?

It's a tough call.

If you buy the full set Blu Rays now you will almost certainly get a bad copy, but you will be able to get a replacement assuming they go ahead with a replacement scheme.

If you wait till there's a replacement offered, it will be tough to know for sure when buying new that you're getting a re-issued, corrected copy, especially if ordering on-line.

You could buy the series 6 part sets. Apparently they're unaffected by the problem, though I've not seen that confirmed (even though the disc are different surely the video segments are the same?). You'll miss all the extras that are on the full set, like the micro-episodes of "Night Time in the TARDIS". They are worth having.

If it was me, I would buy the full set now and get in line for a replacement as and when. You CAN still enjoy the discs despite the picture fault (I have watched all the eps and I enjoyed them all over again). Series 6 is great! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cheers GDK for the address.
    They asked me the same question; I gave city area and they said it was to work out where the bad bananas were hiding.
    DVD Support told me to hang until they have a replacement scheme sorted.
    I am so pleased you posted - Thought my Bluray was playing up at first.
    I owe you one buddy

No problem. I had the same thoughts. Is it my system? My setup? Is anyone else getting this problem? I only posted here when I saw one thread on another forum discussiing it.

I don't think my location is much use to them because I bought it online (Amazon).
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    GDK wrote: »
    It's a tough call.

If you buy the full set Blu Rays now you will almost certainly get a bad copy, but you will be able to get a replacement assuming they go ahead with a replacement scheme.

If you wait till there's a replacement offered, it will be tough to know for sure when buying new that you're getting a re-issued, corrected copy, especially if ordering on-line.

You could buy the series 6 part sets. Apparently they're unaffected by the problem, though I've not seen that confirmed (even though the disc are different surely the video segments are the same?). You'll miss all the extras that are on the full set, like the micro-episodes of "Night Time in the TARDIS". They are worth having.

If it was me, I would buy the full set now and get in line for a replacement as and when. You CAN still enjoy the discs despite the picture fault (I have watched all the eps and I enjoyed them all over again). Series 6 is great! :)

Thanks. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    I have a fuzzy line across the bottom half of the screen, I'm on a pretty new set up and I've emailed BBC Worldwide too, thanks for the heads up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just got this email:

Dear Graeme

Thank you for contacting us, we are very sorry for the inconvenience this problem has caused.

Please send your faulty Doctor Who - Series 6 Blu-ray discs, without packaging, to the UK Freepost address below.
    Remember to include your name and postal address clearly in the package for the return:

Freepost
    PO Box Doctor Who Series 6
    PO Box 7035
    London
    W1A 3FL

Please allow some time for your replacement discs to arrive.

Kind regards
    DVD Support
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member

Thanks

I think its probably what they call noise. In areas of shadow where there is little or no information, one tends to get such speckly things. i find the same on a lot of HD channels where there are patches of darkness, also banding like the rings of a tree.

I'm not sure, but I think the type of telly you have can increase the visibilty of noise and banding. I have an LCD TV and it can look pretty bad at times.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, over the weekend I posted my faulty series 6 full set blu rays to the address they gave me. I'll post here when I receive the replacements and confirmed they are fault free.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I received the box set for Christmas and the picture quality is not good. The quality of 'A Chrstmas carol' is almost unwatchble with a lot of picture noise in the dark scenes. Has anyone also noticed that the 'resume play' functionality does not work on any of the disks in the 6th series unlike all the other series. The BBC shop told me that this was a fault but DVD Support told me that it did not work on their copy either or on their series 5!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Somebody on "another" forum has said they've received their replacement discs.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=180655&page=9

I've not got mine though. Yet. :(
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    The picture quality on The Doctor's Wife is terrible for blu-ray. It is a very dark episode and it seems to be a problem in areas of heavy black. Haven't notice problems on other episodes yet.
  • Options
    LivingDestinyLivingDestiny Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks a lot for the post I was quite disspointed with it but didn't know who to contact, thanks again! :)