Options

Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 8)

SupportSupport Posts: 70,867
Administrator
    Admin Notice: This thread is a continuation of: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1526610

[highlight]Admin note[/highlight]: Threads marked as 'Appreciation' or 'Supporters' are solely designed to allow fans of particular things, such as particular contestants, clubs or people to simply debate and discuss their chosen subject in a positive atmosphere - genuine "appreciation". They are not designed to be, and must not be treated as, exclusive clubs; they should simply be considered friendly places for fans to discuss things together. Should someone disrupt the flow of positive discussion with a negative comment please alert us to the problem so that we can move it to a more appropriate thread; do not treat another member in a disrespectful way and do not respond to it.

People who treat other users disrespectfully, attempt to disrupt discussion, or even attempt to "tactically" alert, are not welcome here and will be banned.

Comments

• Options
      [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,740
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      never thought i would post here let alone be the first well part from the admin dude being first
    • Options
      [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 942
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Merseyside Police have made an arrest...
      MerseyPolice Merseyside Police

A 20 year old Aintree man has been arrested tonight on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order offence following Friday's game.
    • Options
      Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
        Admin Notice: This thread is a continuation of: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1526610

[highlight]Admin note[/highlight]: Threads marked as 'Appreciation' or 'Supporters' are solely designed to allow fans of particular things, such as particular contestants, clubs or people to simply debate and discuss their chosen subject in a positive atmosphere - genuine "appreciation". They are not designed to be, and must not be treated as, exclusive clubs; they should simply be considered friendly places for fans to discuss things together. Should someone disrupt the flow of positive discussion with a negative comment please alert us to the problem so that we can move it to a more appropriate thread; do not treat another member in a disrespectful way and do not respond to it.

People who treat other users disrespectfully, attempt to disrupt discussion, or even attempt to "tactically" alert, are not welcome here and will be banned.

Asking people to not respond when the sole aim of the poster is to wind others up is a little unfair. Gettind wound up is natural and the supporters in the thread are the ones who put up with all the crap in here from trolls etc - to suggest that we may be doing wrong in responding to someone is ridiculous, surely?

Anyways that's my opinion. I fully expect a ban now.

Happy 8th thread. Yippee.
      • Options
        Forum Member
        ✭✭✭
        SJB 2007 wrote: »

I'm not glad there has been a racist comment, of course, but I'm very pleased that the offender has been arrested. Let's hope if guilty he's charged and banned from football matches for life.
      • Options
        tatlocktatlock Posts: 716
        Forum Member
        ✭✭
        Unigal07 wrote: »
        Asking people to not respond when the sole aim of the poster is to wind others up is a little unfair. Gettind wound up is natural and the supporters in the thread are the ones who put up with all the crap in here from trolls etc - to suggest that we may be doing wrong in responding to someone is ridiculous, surely?

Anyways that's my opinion. I fully expect a ban now.

Happy 8th thread. Yippee.

I think you misunderstood my comments. All i said was "Third time lucky", meaning that the two previous Liverpool FC statements were poorly thought out.

I have absolutely no idea why you would take offence by that, plenty of other people have said similar over the various Liverpool/Suarez threads. There's nothing offensive there, it's an opinion, which plenty of other people share.

If someone had taken a personal dig at yourself, used bad language, spammed, or been blatantly trolling, sure, i could see why a you might have a problem with that, but it was simply an (admittedly short) comment on something that's happened, and a reasonable enough one i think.
      • Options
        Forum Member
        ✭✭✭
        tatlock wrote: »
        I think you misunderstood my comments. All i said was "Third time lucky", meaning that the two previous Liverpool FC statements were poorly thought out.

I have absolutely no idea why you would take offence by that, plenty of other people have said similar over the various Liverpool/Suarez threads. There's nothing offensive there, it's an opinion, which plenty of other people share.

If someone had taken a personal dig at yourself, used bad language, spammed, or been blatantly trolling, sure, i could see why a you might have a problem with that, but it was simply an (admittedly short) comment on something that's happened, and a reasonable enough one i think.

You have been intentionally inflammatory in the LFC supporters thread numerous times. That's why I picked up on you - I remember your username.
      • Options
        Forum Member
        ✭✭
        Unigal07 wrote: »
        You have been intentionally inflammatory in the LFC supporters thread numerous times. That's why I picked up on you - I remember your username.

I'll bear it in mind before posting in future...but i feel you're being extremely over-sensitive.

All the best.
      • Options
        clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,894
        Forum Member
        ✭✭
        Yay, a new thread!!! Part 8, 7 ahead of Chelsea :D
      • Options
        Forum Member
        ✭✭
        In my search to find hypocrisy in this current situation it dawned on me that one of our 'leading' journalist is in Qatar... Taking the moral high ground. Can you guess who it is... Yes it's the Daily Mirror's Oliver Holt.

He's having a lovely time being a guest of the Qatari 2022 World Cup organising committee.

Just a shame he hasn't asked them about this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Qatar

Or this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Qatar

Taxi for Mr Holt!!!
      • Options
        taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,958
        Forum Member
        Well according to Alex McLeish, after a converstaion with KD he's been assured that Liverpool don't want to sign Darren Bent. I'm sort of quite pleased about that because although he's a decent goal scorer,in the long term I just don't think he'd be value for money in either transfer fee or wages.

The only little niggling thought in the back of my mind is that the reason we might not be interested in him is we just don't have that amount of cash to spend this window.
      • Options
        Forum Member
        In my search to find hypocrisy in this current situation it dawned on me that one of our 'leading' journalist is in Qatar... Taking the moral high ground. Can you guess who it is... Yes it's the Daily Mirror's Oliver Holt.

He's having a lovely time being a guest of the Qatari 2022 World Cup organising committee.

Just a shame he hasn't asked them about this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Qatar

Or this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Qatar

Taxi for Mr Holt!!!

If he comes back trying to tell us how great a winter World Cup would be then he should be sacked.... :rolleyes:
      • Options
        Forum Member
        ✭✭
        taurus_67 wrote: »
        Well according to Alex McLeish, after a converstaion with KD he's been assured that Liverpool don't want to sign Darren Bent. I'm sort of quite pleased about that because although he's a decent goal scorer,in the long term I just don't think he'd be value for money in either transfer fee or wages.

The only little niggling thought in the back of my mind is that the reason we might not be interested in him is we just don't have that amount of cash to spend this window.

£25-30m for a 28 year old. It was a complete non-starter in my opinion.

Hoilett at Blackburn i can him as a posible transfer target.
      • Options
        Forum Member
        ✭✭
        I think someone like Jermain Defoe could be a great signing for Liverpool.

He'd certainly fit the profile of striker i think they need. He's very different to Suarez, and obviously Carroll.
      • Options
        ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
        Forum Member
        £25-30m for a 28 year old. It was a complete non-starter in my opinion.

Hoilett at Blackburn i can him as a posible transfer target.

Demba Ba would be a better option, and there's that rumour of his £10m release clause.
      • Options
        Forum Member
        tatlock wrote: »
        I think someone like Jermain Defoe could be a great signing for Liverpool.

He'd certainly fit the profile of striker i think they need. He's very different to Suarez, and obviously Carroll.

How much would he cost! Come the start of next season he'll be pushing 30. I really don't think strikers that age are the way for us (or any top club) to be going.

I also don't think we should be helping Tottenham free up their wage bill.
      • Options
        Forum Member
        Demba Ba would be a better option, and there's that rumour of his £10m release clause.

Depends on how dodgy that knee of his really is?
      • Options
        Forum Member
        ✭✭
        How much would he cost! Come the start of next season he'll be pushing 30. I really don't think strikers that age are the way for us (or any top club) to be going.

I also don't think we should be helping Tottenham free up their wage bill.

Well, a player like that, if good enough, could prove the difference between Liverpool finishing 6th or 4th.

Also, Defoe seems to keep himself in shape. I think he'll be round for at least another three or four years, though he might not have a huge resale value, admittedly.

I think he'd cost less than £10m, though i'm not 100% sure Spurs would sell to a side who may be direct rivals for them next season.
      • Options
        ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
        Forum Member
        Depends on how dodgy that knee of his really is?

At that price it might be worth the risk - I know Stoke are certainly wishing they'd taken a punt on him!
      • Options
        Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
        Forum Member
        Oh - new shiny thread!

So - the chant thing... An arrest had been made which is good - find out what went on and hopefully put an end to it. If racism then chuck the book at him, if not then let it go. Simple really - not sure why so many people seem to have trouble understanding this - apart from their obvious (and slightly pathetic) hatred for LFC.

In other news - Bent and Ba - not fussed about either. Both great players, but I have concerns about Bents age (relatively short shelf life) and Ba's Knees and African Cup commitments.

Another Suarez type signing would be the best bet for me. Find a young player abroad and bring them in!
      • Options
        kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
        Forum Member

good! throw the book at The racist scum!!
      • Options
        TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,892
        Forum Member
        ✭✭
        kobashi100 wrote: »
        good! throw the book at The racist scum!!

The guy was 20 which doesn't surprise me. An immature act given the current climate at the club. I'd readily concede Liverpool's support of Suarez will be wrongly interpreted as a support for racism by some, whether through ignorance or through convenience in order to score cheap points against a rival club. Some of Liverpool's actions haven't helped as they've been ill-judged and insensitive. Let's hope we handle this latest incident a little more professionally and don't give rival fans further opportunities to fuel thflames or feed the frenzy.
      • Options
        Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,396
        Forum Member
        Liverpool should sign Sinclair, Moses, and Hoilett, and one from Defoe, Bent or Ba.
      • Options
        SweetlikeheavenSweetlikeheaven Posts: 5,035
        Forum Member
        I was watching the FA Cup highlights show last night and I hated how there was no talk at all about our win and instead ITV used it as an opportunity to say "Oh Adeyemi wouldn't have been abused if Liverpool didn't back Suarez" when that isn't the case at all

Do the media really believe a 20 year old will think "Liverpool backed Suarez, so now I can also racially abuse players". I don't believe the two incidents are related at all. A player being racially abused can happen at any football ground, but with the two incidents occuring so close together.. the media were always going to use this as another dig towards the club

It would be nice for them to acknowledge that the club didn't back Suarez because they thought it was fine for him to racially abuse Evra. They backed him because they believe there was a cultural difference and Suarez had been misinterpreted

The "Racist" label the club and the fans are being given is ridiculous. I for one am not racist and just because one fan "apparently" abused a player.. it doesn't mean the rest of the fans should be labelled in the same way
      • Options
        [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,649
        Forum Member
        ✭✭
        Todays beeb gossip round up has us linked , alongside City with Abidal, who's Barca contract is coming to an end. Also with Celtics' full back Adam Matthews , which is far more likely IMHO. The former story comes from the metro with the latter from the mail on Sunday.
        Beeb don't even mention the metro story linking Suarez with a host of clubs in Europe for £30m, which says it all:rolleyes:
      • Options
        Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,396
        Forum Member
        ITV used it as an opportunity to say "Oh Adeyemi wouldn't have been abused if Liverpool didn't back Suarez" when that isn't the case at all

So how do they explain what Ron Atkinson said about Desailly?
      This discussion has been closed.