Options

US soaps dropping like flies

VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
Forum Member
With One Life To Live ending on January 13 there'll only be 4 left.

General Hospital (1963 – present)
Days of our Lives (1965 – present)
The Young and the Restless (1973 – present)
The Bold and the Beautiful (1987 – present)

recently they have axed many long running ones

One Life to Live - July 15, 1968 - January 13, 2012
All My Children - January 5, 1970 – September 23, 2011
As The World Turns - April 2, 1956 – September 17, 2010
Guiding Light - June 30, 1952 – September 18, 2009
(+ on radio - 1937-1956)

Not that I watch them or have ever watched them (well apart from B&B on Sky Soap in the 90's!!)

Comments

• Options
    RiDsTeRRiDsTeR Posts: 12,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Days! Haven't watched in a while though. Don't see it lasting though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the number 1 rated daytime drama show for the last 24 years in states "Young and the restless" isnt going to be cancelled anytime soon considering the latest ratings for week 26th to 30th Dec '11 have it at an average of just over 5 million viewers per day-methinks there's plenty of life left for Victor,Nikki,Nick,Sharon,Victoria etc-i'm enjoying it a lot the past 2 or 3 weeks i have to admit.
    Hopefully Debbi Morgan will get more of a chance soon to show how capable an actress she is,that's IF Maria Arena Bell & Co give her decent material,we'll have to wait and see on that front!!
  • Options
    pixxyypixxyy Posts: 1,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to miss OLTL as I think it's still great and shouldnt have been axed. Even this past week with so few episodes left, the quality of scripts/acting have been high.

GL by the end was abit rubbish and wasnt a surprise it was axed. ATWT I think had the potential to get back to being a good show again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And the likelihood is there'll only be 3 soaps by end of 2012 as unless a miracle happens it seems ABC will cancel General Hospital sometime this year as Katie Couric's chatshow starting on ABC In Sept and this could spell end for "GH" unfortunately.
  • Options
    CPW4EVERCPW4EVER Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There has been much talk of what the future holds for General Hospital this year because of the aforementioned Katie Couric show and also because one of the ABC affiliates, in Florida I think, has decided to stop airing the show. The only good bit of news is that the president of ABC Daytime, Brian Frons, who axed All My Children and One Life to Live has left the position as of last month so maybe GH will be spared.

Days was in a bit of a precarious position a few years back when ratings were low but they axed a load of the long term cast which have cut the budget and ratings have improved a bit so it might be OK for a while.

I don't know why they didn't just retool the shows instead of axing them completely. Paring down the casts and cutting the episodes to run for 30 minutes instead of 60 minutes a day would have saved a lot of money I imagine.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Dallas is coming back.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love General Hospital and I'm really worried about the future of it. I don't think ABC likes soaps at all, they prefer talk shows and cooking shows as they cost much less to make and that's all they're concerned about unfortunately :(
  • Options
    Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's so sad, I loved ATWT, it was like America's Coronation Street.

I'd like to think the bosses over here have more faith in our shows. Not that we're in a similar position at all, as much as people want to believe we are. The soaps are still consistently the top-rated shows on television. And apparently people still think they're on their last legs. As if.
  • Options
    evoleevole Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RiDsTeR wrote: »
    I love Days! Haven't watched in a while though. Don't see it lasting though.

Days is quite good these days, new writers and they brought back John and Marlene. It's really improved over the last few months, but I don't hold out much hope for the genre as a whole. People have too many choices and I think the best days ( no pun intended) are in the past for American soaps. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    Y&R is the only American soap that I watch, but I can't help but fear the worst, it's a dying genre in the states with rapidly declining ratings - and if Susan Lucci could be out of a job so easily then nobody's job is safe!

It'll probably just be Y&R and B&B standing in a few years time, and that's if Maria Arena Bell hasn't completely killed the show by then.
  • Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    Dallas is coming back.

True, but that's not 52 weeks a year - I'm referring to their daytime continuing soaps
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    Americans are stupid. End of discussion.
  • Options
    evoleevole Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamieLee wrote: »

It'll probably just be Y&R and B&B standing in a few years time, and that's if Maria Arena Bell hasn't completely killed the show by then.

Exactly! Bell is doing her damnedest and she might just be successful!:eek::eek:
  • Options
    Seamus2008Seamus2008 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamieLee wrote: »
    evole wrote: »
    Exactly! Bell is doing her damnedest and she might just be successful!:eek::eek:

You're so right. I used to love Y&R. My mother has been watching it since its inception here so I've pretty much grown with it. Of course they're not a patch on UK soaps but every single character has such a rich history that I felt connected to them. But in recent times, I can't even bring myself to watch it. It's more a chore than anything, which is sad. MAB nees the chop ASAP!

When they start using doppelgängers galore, you realise they've scrapped the bottom of the barrel (Emily/Patty/Mary Jane anyone?). Not to mention they keep changing family ties like people change socks, which is quite frankly stupid. Marriage doesn't hold any significance AT ALL for them (you can get married as many times as you like and with whoever you like, especially within the same family). Oh and they also go way overboard with their OTT recasts (Abby Abbott springs to mind) - but that's US soaps for you.
  • Options
    NoWireHangersNoWireHangers Posts: 909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bring back Sunset Beach!
  • Options
    DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,745
    Forum Member
    CPW4EVER wrote: »
    I don't know why they didn't just retool the shows instead of axing them completely. Paring down the casts and cutting the episodes to run for 30 minutes instead of 60 minutes a day would have saved a lot of money I imagine.
    OLTL was a master for coming under budget, no matter how low it was slashed each year. GH has problems with being over budget, and that show was never a contender for the axe. ABCD already paired down OLTL's episode count for the last few years (there were several weeks when they'd only air 4 episodes), and they have a production break to save money. Each episode only runs for 35 minutes with 25 minutes of commercials!

Low ratings and low demos were letting the show down in 2009-10 and instead of allowing them to fix this, they decided to axe the show instead, and really it had been in the planning for a lot longer. The point is, ABCD favoured GH and AMC over OLTL, and even after the cancellation, OLTL had begun picking itself up and turning things around. It has been on fire for the majority of last year, and ratings and demos improved immensely. This show should not have been cancelled; it has been rating higher than AMC last year, beating B&B a few times for #2 spot, as well as thrashing GH. It certainly had life left in it, and I'm so happy that show is going out on a major high. It will be missed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the saddest things bout "One Life" finishing, apart from so many actors,crew losing their jobs, is that there's no longer ANY Daytime dramas being filmed in New York and so many were produced there over the years including my favourite ever daytime drama "Another World",i loved that show for so many reasons,hard to believe it's nearly 13 years since it was axed by NBC.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anytime I see Days I always expect Dr. Drake Ramorey to pop up : D I remember watching Friends in the 90s. Anyway I like watching B&B. I still miss Sunset Beach. :(
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi everyone, how do you manage to watch US soaps? I love B&B and Y&R and miss them since they left UK screens, a PM from anyone that can help would be great
  • Options
    UpInMyFaceUpInMyFace Posts: 2,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bring back Sunset Beach!

This was ace but apparently the American's never got it the way the UK audience did which is odd given how OTT Days Of Our Lives was at the same time. I remember reading that Sunset Beach would have ended in 1998 had it not been for its UK popularity, NBC must have been getting huge rights payouts from Channel Five. It wasn't enough to stop the axe from falling a year later though. Channel Five even offered to part fund the show to keep it on the air!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aidodub1 wrote: »
    One of the saddest things bout "One Life" finishing, apart from so many actors,crew losing their jobs, is that there's no longer ANY Daytime dramas being filmed in New York and so many were produced there over the years including my favourite ever daytime drama "Another World",i loved that show for so many reasons,hard to believe it's nearly 13 years since it was axed by NBC.

Another World is the main Soap i'd like to see more of. I own the books and some of the storylines sound fantastic.
    I did see the Frankie Frame death storyline & youtube has a 100 or so episodes in TV section.

Crazy how close Days came to being axed a few years ago, yet it outlived GL/ATWT and now AMC/OLTL
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have had the displeasure of watching a few American soap operas and they consist of the most wooden acting I have ever seen. The storylines are all the same (one family vs. another family) and so dull. There's no real drama / on the edge of your seat stuff like we have here in the UK. I recently watched Days of our Lives and had to stop watching after 3 minutes of awful scripting and robotic acting . It's no wonder the shows are being axed! Why can't the soaps in America be as good as the other shows they have there, like Friends?
  • Options
    gentleguygentleguy Posts: 16,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aidodub1 wrote: »

how do so many people manage to watch us soaps assuming you are all english of course.
  • Options
    gentleguygentleguy Posts: 16,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UpInMyFace wrote: »
    This was ace but apparently the American's never got it the way the UK audience did which is odd given how OTT Days Of Our Lives was at the same time. I remember reading that Sunset Beach would have ended in 1998 had it not been for its UK popularity, NBC must have been getting huge rights payouts from Channel Five. It wasn't enough to stop the axe from falling a year later though. Channel Five even offered to part fund the show to keep it on the air!

this is what i have never understood, the shows are no different so why did brits love sunset beach but hate other US soaps and why was sunset beach hated by americans but loved other US soaps. Sunset Beach is also the shortest US soap ever and possibly the world.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had the displeasure of watching a few American soap operas and they consist of the most wooden acting I have ever seen. The storylines are all the same (one family vs. another family) and so dull. There's no real drama / on the edge of your seat stuff like we have here in the UK. I recently watched Days of our Lives and had to stop watching after 3 minutes of awful scripting and robotic acting . It's no wonder the shows are being axed! Why can't the soaps in America be as good as the other shows they have there, like Friends?

All soaps have wooden acting. And no edge of your seat stuff/dullness? theres plenty much more than UK soaps. You must've caught the wrong episodes. Or watched Bold & Beautiful in that case I agree :p

I watch Soaps from all over the world, and imo American ones are the most exciting full of twists and turns.