Options

The Leveson Inquiry: Culture, Practices & Ethics of the Press, 2012

Comments

• Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jay still taking Brooks through her witness statement.
  • Options
    MarkBealesMarkBeales Posts: 3,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'd think she'd have tidied her hair up a bit
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MarkBeales wrote: »
    You'd think she'd have tidied her hair up a bit

No way! I think her hair is great!

Nice dig at Brown and Whelan there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am not clear what Jay is getting at.

What I have learned about Coulson and Brooks is that that each of them is highly intelligent and articulate.

I have also learned that politicians and journalists mix a lot and sometimes have dinner together.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think #Gingerwitch has worked out that the girly smile has no effect on Jay whatsoever :D
  • Options
    hustedhusted Posts: 5,287
    Forum Member
    Rebekah Brooks:
    Gordon Brown and Charlie Whelan (his spin doctor) were "the masters of spin", much more so than Blair & Campbell
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think #Gingerwitch has worked out that the girly smile has no effect on Jay whatsoever :D

Tit for tat imo. He does a lot of smiling too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    What I have learned about Coulson and Brooks is that that each of them is highly intelligent and articulate.

Oh absolutely. I sort of hope both find employment in the future because I do believe they're two great talents at what they do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jay says "it has been suggested" a lot without direct reference to who did the suggesting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh absolutely. I sort of hope both find employment in the future because I do believe they're two great talents at what they do.

She is busy being a mother.

Coulson will find gainful employment when this is over, I am certain of it.
  • Options
    cheachea Posts: 7,827
    Forum Member
    this is brilliant
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Leveson wanting to know how she knew how her readers thought or felt. She says via letters, petitions and polls on paticular subjects.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brooks keeps talking about the Sun in the present tense. It's almost as if she doesn't think she's left.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Judge suggests five minute break.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    Brooks keeps talking about the Sun in the present tense. It's almost as if she doesn't think she's left.

I noticed that in her last comments. Previously it was all past tense. Yet she left the Mirror years ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »

Well she is being asked to transport herself back into the newsroom and talk about what went on so perhaps that's why she is taking that approach. And she did work there for so long that maybe she does feel it's still very much a part of her. I imagine newsrooms are probably a bit like that. Piers Morgan probably still feels close to The Mirror.
  • Options
    hustedhusted Posts: 5,287
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well she is being asked to transport herself back into the newsroom and talk about what went on so perhaps that's why she is taking that approach. And she did work there for so long that maybe she does feel it's still very much a part of her. I imagine newsrooms are probably a bit like that. Piers Morgan probably still feels close to The Mirror.

There are some jobs where you feel very much part of a family.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    She has described Blair and his advisers as "a constant presence in my life"
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    husted wrote: »

Interesting.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Tit for tat imo. He does a lot of smiling too.

Remember that song about the smile of the crocodile :D
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Fair comment.

With the immediate reaction from the BBC to what she's said - not reporting on the bulk of what was said, just looking hungrily around for smoking guns - I found myself thinking of Leveson's remarks yesterday. I haven't been able to download them (the site is seriously busy) but AFAICR it was about hunting through the Inquiry for conspiracy theories and saying that if that's what they were doing, people would be far better off reading fiction.

So far, I'm on the fence with Brooks. She's cagey but I sense that's partially because of her circumstances and partially because she *is* a journalist and is not about to reveal her sources. She's not as clued up as Coulson but of all the journalists / editors that have so far presented at Leveson , I have to say that this is the first one who genuinely does seem to be "on the reader's side".
  • Options
    cheachea Posts: 7,827
    Forum Member
    I hate her. Very smug.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    Jay starting to get annoyed with her inability to give straight answers.
  • Options
    john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She seems to be able to remember an awful lot about her dealings with Gordon Brown but seems strangely forgetful when it comes to her dealings with David Cameron. Maybe Brown was more memorable.
This discussion has been closed.