Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

The Beyoncé Appreciation Thread (Part 2)

Old 02-08-2014, 08:21
Wavy_Gravy
Forum Member

As a fan of Blues music [and I don't mean the stuff which has now hijacked the label of "RnB"] I thought I would start up this thread as I can't see one running already.

For starters I stumbled across this website http://www.bluesmusicdirectory.co.uk the other week, which is rather impressive to say the least.
Wavy_Gravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:49
nathanbrazil
Forum Member

The blues was where rock 'n' roll came from, of course, and is due its credit for that. But, as a lifelong fan of music I feel that it was, in many instances, a starting point from which better things evolved. Just as, the original Rock Around The Clock style works, which inspired the Beatles, can't hold a candle to stuff like Strawberry Fields Forever, musically. Although, in terms of raw emotion it could be argued that it's the other way around.

Better 'blues' things, would include the magnificent Bobby Bland, much copied by Rod Stewart and even covered by Whitesnake! That smoothing out of the original roughness on Bland's most commercial works (which I appreciate is what many fans liked in the first place) is among my favourite stuff in the soul/blues area. Ditto the earlier works of Scott Walker, and the career of Paul Carrack, to name but two of the best.

Right now, I'm listening to 18 by Moby, which cherry picked the blues, added to it, and ended up being fantastic. Some people don't like when an artiste does that, but to me the blues, like all music, is akin to a river; it moves on. As soon as it stands still, it stagnates.
nathanbrazil is offline   Reply With Quote