Options

Scottish referendum poll

smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
Forum Member
It would be interesting to see what people would vote for in a referendum about the future of Scotland in the Union.

Six possible options:
1. I'm a Scottish voter - full independence
2. I'm a Scottish voter - devolution max
3. I'm a Scottish voter - no change
4. I'm not a Scottish voter - full independence
5. I'm not a scottish voter - devolution max
6. I'm not a Scottish voter - no change

I think I'd go for option 2

Scottish referendum poll 173 votes

I'm a Scottish voter - full independence
18%
[Deleted User]Scalper JackEverything GoesHammyGeegALANMthms5th HorsemanAiramOvalteeniemaximilianmatador1976Reiver97Dave1979carnoch04OrrinessyfencerDaewos[Deleted User]woot_whoo 32 votes
I'm a Scottish voter - devolution max
4%
ProDaveJCRsmudges dadYou_moMidnightFalcon[Deleted User][Deleted User] 7 votes
I'm a Scottish voter - no change
10%
mavis b sausagePedrobhoy07iiHEARTy0uTheToonArmyCELT1987Super Frogcheesy_pastylizbet[Deleted User]academiaEthel_Fred[Deleted User]sonofdavidbenjamini[Deleted User]SamthefootballAbewest 18 votes
I'm not a Scottish voter - full independence
42%
CaxtonTechnixRagnarokSULLAlemoncurdDiawlstarman700MarkLS12TelevisionUserPablo DiabloKIIS102[Deleted User]johna999Saturn[Deleted User][Deleted User][Deleted User]burnesiderjb101Lisa.B 74 votes
I'm not a Scottish voter - devolution max
5%
Aye UpmooxPhil 2804Aneechik[Deleted User][Deleted User]Brigon[Deleted User]Multimedia81Drunken Scouser 10 votes
I'm not a Scottish voter - no change
18%
Brian1709psionicZeusstatelessAnnsyreUncle FesterMuttley76LenkaRookskibblerokTHOMOLostFoolJustMomgazmat[Deleted User]Biffo the BearsolenoidHitchhiker553silentNateDavid Tee 32 votes

Comments

• Options
    BorderReiverBorderReiver Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm Option 1, though I think any referendum should allow people who would prefer Option 2 to express that desire.

In a two question referendum resembling the last one drafted by the Scottish Government ie.

Would you like the Scottish Government to negotiate with Westminster to acheive the provisions of Devo-Max? Yes/No

Would you like the Scottish Government to go further and negotiate full Independence from the UK? Yes/No

I'd vote Yes/Yes.
  • Options
    maximilianmaximilian Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Option 1 would definitely be my first choice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    I'm option 4. Not because I want to get rid of them, but because I can't see a reason why they shouldn't be.
  • Options
    BorderReiverBorderReiver Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    11 Votes in and nobody, Scottish or otherwise, has gone for the Status-Quo yet.

Surprising given the amount of people in other threads telling everyone who'll listen that Scottish Independence will never occur, and that Scotland is too small and too poor to function alone . . .
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You forgot the option

Not a Scottish Voter - Don't really care one way or the other
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about an I'm not a Scotish voter, and while I sincerely hope they stay, Should they choose to go, I wish them all the best," option,

But it's for the Scotish people to decide, and for the Tories to try to dictate to the people of Scotland, when and how, and of whom the question should be asked, only goes to illustrate exactly WHY some Scots want independence,
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a Scottish voter - devolution max
    I will be following the arguments carefully so I could change my opinions over the next two years!
  • Options
    Drunken ScouserDrunken Scouser Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the Scots do leave we should expect calls for regional devolution across England. I certainly wouldn't want a sole English Parliament. We're dominated by London and the south-east enough already, thanks.
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You_mo wrote: »
    I will be following the arguments carefully so I could change my opinions over the next two years!

Seconded. At present I voted yes to independence (as a Scot), but I guess we'll see what happens in the next couple of years. I did start a thread earlier asking Unionists to present what they perceive to be the benefits of the status quo, but as of yet no one has offered any...
  • Options
    alanr74alanr74 Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the Scots do leave we should expect calls for regional devolution across England. I certainly wouldn't want a sole English Parliament. We're dominated by London and the south-east enough already, thanks.

NE voted against that. England doesn't really want regional parliaments. we're happy with our god damn awful local councillors.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

With you there comrade, perhaps we should ALL get together and tell 'that London' to "DO one"?

Or perhaps the Scots, Welsh, and northern Irish should have a little 'chat' and then say "Actually, WE aint leaving the union,............ YOU are,?

:D
  • Options
    Drunken ScouserDrunken Scouser Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanr74 wrote: »
    NE voted against that. England doesn't really want regional parliaments. we're happy with our god damn awful local councillors.

I think it was rejected because it was seen as a taling shop with little power. Perhaps if they'd been offered the same powers Holyrood has the result could have been different.

Indifference to regional parliaments could well change if regional resentments begin to bubble up more in England, as could well happen if the north is stuck with a perpetual Tory government in Westminster.

Whatever the structure, I'd certainly want a second layer of government with significant powers. Pretty much every other developed democracy does it this way.
  • Options
    AiramAiram Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    The government obviously believes England has regions when they're considering regionallevel of pay in the public service. So a huge rise in pay in London can be expected, sucking in those from other regions.
  • Options
    Killer GorillaKiller Gorilla Posts: 3,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With you there comrade, perhaps we should ALL get together and tell 'that London' to "DO one"?
    Erm, most London constituencies are Labour controlled.
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Devo Max for me but for it to work it requires the whole UK to become federated.
  • Options
    Killer GorillaKiller Gorilla Posts: 3,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should become an entirely seperate country to the UK.

However I strongly suspect that when it comes down to it, Scots will bottle it and vote to stay in the UK.
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used not to care either way - but recently have changed to believing that Scotland should go its own way, simply tired of getting blamed for all their woes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Erm, most London constituencies are Labour controlled.

Fine then, all the Tory constituencies can "do one" where ever they are,........
    NO, wait.... I live in a Tory constituency, a little island of blue in a sea of red, up here in the N/E.....

erm, I've not thought this through have I?
  • Options
    HeresyIsFreedomHeresyIsFreedom Posts: 3,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need: Option 7: I am not a Scottish voter - accept the right of Scotland to self-determination if the people so wish it.
  • Options
    redstar81redstar81 Posts: 1,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am ambivalent towards independence, but every time I see Cameron's smug shiny face I shift more to yes. I would imagine that independence would mean no more Tories for a long time......bliss!
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There wasn't an option for my way of thinking which is no referendum no change - my logic being based around the great unknown.....europe.

I don't think now is the time for all this. What we should be doing is putting on a united front and trying to attract long term investment from european interests that might be getting twitchy over the euro.
    While we're faffing about re-enacting Braveheart wont those potential opportunities head east towards those growing economies in China, India and the like? This island can be a hard enough sell at the best of times.

It makes for a fun debate and I do enjoy the opportunity to wheel out the much loved "porridge gobbler" phrase when i'm feeling in a particularly mischievous mood but in all seriousness couldn't this keep for another 10-20-30 years?
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need: Option 7: I am not a Scottish voter - accept the right of Scotland to self-determination if the people so wish it.

Add the words "but not before 2050 please" (or something to that effect) to the end and count me in as an option 7 also.
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »
    I used not to care either way - but recently have changed to believing that Scotland should go its own way, simply tired of getting blamed for all their woes.

When it comes down to it Thatcherism is responsible for many of the woes in this country. Whether that's sky high rail fares, a balooning benefits bill, a national housing shortage, a corrupt and immoral financial services sector that expects state welfare to pay for its mistakes...

With the continued denial of the English Tory party that there is anything wrong with their ideology is it any wonder the UK becomes less and less united by the day.
  • Options
    GlastonGlaston Posts: 1,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    When it comes down to it Thatcherism is responsible for many of the woes in this country. Whether that's sky high rail fares, a balooning benefits bill, a national housing shortage, a corrupt and immoral financial services sector that expects state welfare to pay for its mistakes...

With the continued denial of the English Tory party that there is anything wrong with their ideology is it any wonder the UK becomes less and less united by the day.

Good grief. :eek::eek: Way to go off topic.

I would vote for the Scots to just disappear.
    Increasingly fed up with the constant whinging.
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    When it comes down to it Thatcherism is responsible for many of the woes in this country.

Thatcher has been out of power for over 20 years and since then we have had 5 Elections - yet none of her core policies have been changed.

Seems that the electorate like your preferred policies even less than hers. :D