Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Who is looking forward to the BBC1s adaptation of the novel "Call the Midwife"

Old 01-02-2012, 07:00
Tourista
Forum Member

Well, its not too often I will admit to being completely and utterly wrong about a show, but with CTM I have to!.

I only recorded it because my OH wanted to see it, but after a couple of minutes, I was glued to the screen too.

Three weeks in, and the only "gripe" is a tiny one, and that is the overall "clean" look of the docks and workers.

Best news of all, is the shows renewal for another 8 episodes.

Well done beeb, and the only shame really is that the author never had a chance to see it on screen.......
Tourista is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:47
seejay63
Forum Member

Very interesting indeed! Like you, I am finding it hard to believe they wouldn't care about apparent 'mistakes' when they have tried so hard to get other things completely correct to the period.
It doesn't seem to bother the beeb about 'mistakes'.

They keep on giving judges gavels to bang in courtrooms when British judges have never used gavels.

Also in Larkrise to Candleford Sidney was helping Dorcas count money in shillings, and he had 10 pennies to a shillling and not 12!
seejay63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:50
Gooby
Forum Member

Forum Mods - perhaps we could have a sticky thread at the top of this Forum for putting in mistakes you have spotted in shows. Then all the other threads can be left to discuss the programme without a few minor errors taking over!
Gooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:55
seejay63
Forum Member

this week's had me in floods of tears (when 'Joe' was reported as dying shortly after the amputation)
That same thing happened to my grandad 10 years ago. The nurse who came to change his dressings on a regular basis didn't seem to notice they'd gone gangrenous. When he was eventually admitted to hospital at the insistence of the family (the doctor thought we were being over-dramatic!) the doctor in the hospital was shocked at the state of his leg. He died less than two weeks after the amputation. I think when you're old an operation like that is too much of a shock for the body to take.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:04
winenroses

That same thing happened to my grandad 10 years ago. The nurse who came to change his dressings on a regular basis didn't seem to notice they'd gone gangrenous. When he was eventually admitted to hospital at the insistence of the family (the doctor thought we were being over-dramatic!) the doctor in the hospital was shocked at the state of his leg. He died less than two weeks after the amputation. I think when you're old an operation like that is too much of a shock for the body to take.
That storyline was so well done and quite heartbreaking. So sorry to hear of its echo in your own life.
winenroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 19:55
kadylou
Forum Member

Using a measuring tape to determine fundal height during pregnancy was first introduced in the late 1970's. It gained popularity in the late 1980's and because it is simple and inexpensive, it has become widely used by many maternity caregivers, although not all caregivers use it

those days they would have measured fundal height with fingers and seeing how many finger spaces it takes up!
kadylou is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 20:23
seejay63
Forum Member

Using a measuring tape to determine fundal height during pregnancy was first introduced in the late 1970's. It gained popularity in the late 1980's and because it is simple and inexpensive, it has become widely used by many maternity caregivers, although not all caregivers use it

those days they would have measured fundal height with fingers and seeing how many finger spaces it takes up!
I've had three children and the midwife only ever used her fingers to measure fundal height. It didn't strike me as being particularly scientific though because one week I could be given a date of 34 weeks, the following week 36, the week after 34 again!
Old 01-02-2012, 22:12
kadylou
Forum Member

I've had three children and the midwife only ever used her fingers to measure fundal height. It didn't strike me as being particularly scientific though because one week I could be given a date of 34 weeks, the following week 36, the week after 34 again!
yes but thats all the had them days! and tape measuring isnt much better two midwives can have two differant readings- thankfully we go off dating scans now for dates but measurements are still significant of the wellbeing of the baby x
Old 05-02-2012, 20:33
smartie 33
Forum Member

Not recognising any of tonight's storylines from any of the books
smartie 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 20:42
habby
Forum Member

I like the little things that you forget about like having only a phone box to go to to make a phone call.
habby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 20:45
Terry Wigon
Forum Member

This is unrelentingly depressing tonight!
Terry Wigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 20:45
happy tv

I have just tuned in to this because I have heard good reviews, I am finding it a bit depressing so far. Is it like this every week? or are there happier storylines
happy tv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 20:47
Terry Wigon
Forum Member

I have just tuned in to this because I have heard good reviews, I am finding it a bit depressing so far. Is it like this every week? or are there happier storylines
The last two episodes weren't.
Old 05-02-2012, 20:49
happy tv

Think I will go back to Wild at Heart. It is a pity I missed the happier episodes
happy tv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 20:54
Scrabbler
Forum Member

Think the writers have been watching Eastenders....
Scrabbler is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 20:56
Eurostar
Forum Member

The baby abduction story is very believable. Such events were very common in the 50s and 60s.
Eurostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 20:58
Fayecorgasm
Forum Member

That last bit was all very shawshank redemption with the voice over and the music
Fayecorgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 21:01
Hollywood1989
Inactive Member

Just watched this, What a load of crap!
Hollywood1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 21:03
wildbenji64

So it's a bit more "depressing" than the other episodes, that doesn't mean it's not as good as the others. I don't think it was that "depressing" either, it still had the same humour as the other episodes, admittedly mainly in the first half.

I see the typical DS response of depressing = Eastenders has come up as well.
wildbenji64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 21:06
teresagreen
Forum Member

It was heartbreaking tonight. Poor Mary.
teresagreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 21:12
Terry Wigon
Forum Member

So it's a bit more "depressing" than the other episodes, that doesn't mean it's not as good as the others. I don't think it was that "depressing" either, it still had the same humour as the other episodes, admittedly mainly in the first half.

I see the typical DS response of depressing = Eastenders has come up as well.
Well, humour is very personal but
Spoiler
didn't tickle my funny bone!

It was good in as much as it is an historical record of real-life events but was certainly darker than the other episodes. After the relative levity of the last two programmes I wasn't prepared for the degree of misery in tonight's episode.
Old 05-02-2012, 21:18
Abbasolutely 40

It was upsetting tonight , but having been a nurse for 300 hundred years ( or so it feels ) you get weeks like that .Thats life I am afraid .I loved tonight, not becuase I like being dpressed but because its just so good .
I loved the dance , loved the girls getting ready and I love Chummy .
Abbasolutely 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 21:19
Mint
Forum Member

It's based on actual events. Some happy, some depressing.
Mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 21:20
smartie 33
Forum Member

Yes, the storylines of the books really got more and more depressing. I had to give up reading them in the end. Mary's plight was even worse than portrayed - and nobody spoke up for her like in the book.
smartie 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 21:31
kadylou
Forum Member

didnt recognise the abduction storyline from call the midwife, was it in another book?
I thoughts tonights was very interesting, but sad.