Comments

• Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What, in the current economic climate with people facing pay freezes, pension cuts, losing their jobs???

Not to begrudge her but I'm sure H.M. can afford £60m herself. Last time I checked she is one of the world's richest women. A few jewels or paintings from her private collection would pay for one.
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £60 million isn't really a lot of money to find. Cut the Olympic budget back by £40 million. Exactly the same amount that's being spent on improving the opening ceremony. then you're 2\3rds there. the other £20 million could probability be found down the back of a Buckingham palace sofa. Failing that. I'm sure our hardworking politicians could easily have a whip round to make up the difference. It's not like any of them are struggling to make ends meet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet another comment from Michael Gove that inspires zero confidence. :confused:
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God bless her Maj and everything, but really, at her age is she even safe to pilot one of the bloody things?
  • Options
    hustedhusted Posts: 5,287
    Forum Member
    It could make a fortune if they rent it out when Queenie isn't using it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plan B:
    We write off some italian debt in exchange for the Italians refloating the Costa Concordia and providing it to us. Weld a patch on the side and give it a coat of paint and a hose down. Job done.
  • Options
    bad-beatbad-beat Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, because the Queen really needs the bloody thing.

She gets to be Queen of a country. I would say that is enough for anybody.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shame that Britannia no longer rules the waves :(

Oh well, can't we tart up one of the old frigates the Navy have mothballed? Then rent it out for film shoots and the like when not in use by HM. Also emblazon EasyJet or Virgin logos on the side and they can pay for the upkeep :)
  • Options
    AiramAiram Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Rafer wrote: »
    Plan B:
    We write off some italian debt in exchange for the Italians refloating the Costa Concordia and providing it to us. Weld a patch on the side and give it a coat of paint and a hose down. Job done.

Give her back the yacht she loves - Britannia. It's far more seaworthy.
  • Options
    hustedhusted Posts: 5,287
    Forum Member
    What about that aircraft carrier that we dont have any planes for? Paint over the nasty grey colour, put a palace on the deck and it'd have lots of space for the corgis.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £60 million isn't really a lot of money to find. .
    im getting a little fed up with reading this kind of thing, sure in terms of the nations finances it isnt, but even a few £60 million savings will soon add up.

Plus however much it is or isnt, if the government want to cut benefits to disabled kids, they cant even jokingly justify spending that amount on something like this.

If it does happen, can someone who actually likes the Queen, please pay my share.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    im getting a little fed up with reading this kind of thing, sure in terms of the nations finances it isnt, but even a few £60 million savings will soon add up.

Plus however much it is or isnt, if the government want to cut benefits to disabled kids, they cant even jokingly justify spending that amount on something like this.

That's the point. If you are willing to spend £40 million on a bigger box of fireworks for the olympics. Why can't that £40 million be spent on something productive. Be it a royal yacht, disabled kids, or simply closing the deficit.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still laughing and I don't know if that's insanity kicking in.

Anyone tried to claim that the £60m yacht will bring in more than £60m in tourism money yet?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still laughing and I don't know if that's insanity kicking in.

Anyone tried to claim that the £60m yacht will bring in more than £60m in tourism money yet?

Tourism? You're not thinking big enough. Piracy is the way forward. Look at how much those Somali' make per kidnapping. It's the perfect cover. The royal navy would be powerless to stop them. Nobody would ever believe it, so it's the perfect cover. Besides I can see Phil the Greek fitting in well to his role. He can upset the foreign types as much as he wants.
  • Options
    barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    Don't worry the disabled shall foot the bill!
  • Options
    jimmyworzeljimmyworzel Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gove is a prize prat, the audacity of this odious pipsqueak
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gove is a prize prat, the audacity of this odious pipsqueak
    I endorse this message, particularly considering some of his unwelcome rhetoric as of late, I've taken a dislike to the man.
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Airam wrote: »
    Give her back the yacht she loves - Britannia. It's far more seaworthy.

Barely. Didn't it spring a leak itself the other week?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's the point. If you are willing to spend £40 million on a bigger box of fireworks for the olympics. Why can't that £40 million be spent on something productive. Be it a royal yacht, disabled kids, or simply closing the deficit.
    I can think of a very long list of things, that £40 million could be spent on before a Royal Yacht,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    I can think of a very long list of things, that £40 million could be spent on before a Royal Yacht,

As can I. It's the Manchester council question. If you have very limited money. Do you spend what you have on things you need or things you want? In an ideal world the Queen should have a royal yacht. However at the moment the Yacht is (or should be) at the want end of the list. If the palace can raise the money themselves that's up to them. But as it stands at present, we're all effectively broke, we should be prioritising the needs end of the first.
  • Options
    MD1500MD1500 Posts: 14,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you see The Guardian's front page?
    The placement of this story has to be deliberate. ;)

http://yfrog.com/z/h4souj4j
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As can I. It's the Manchester council question. If you have very limited money. Do you spend what you have on things you need or things you want? In an ideal world the Queen should have a royal yacht. However at the moment the Yacht is (or should be) at the want end of the list. If the palace can raise the money themselves that's up to them. But as it stands at present, we're all effectively broke, we should be prioritising the needs end of the first.
    in an ideal world we would not have a Queen, who apparently need a yacht buying for her.

the only benefit this boat could have, is if its built by a generation of British apprentices, but we know that wont happen.
  • Options
    ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WHAT?? Just shows how disconnected these people are with the real world.

If the Queen had anything about her and actually cared about the country she runs then she would stop these stupid demands.

'oooo my roof is leaking' I need more money. either pay for it to be fixed or claim on your insurance like the rest of us have to

Better stil down size and move in to a smaller house and put your other houses to better use. Save the tax payers some money

NHS is near collapse but omg the buckingham Palace roof has a leak. We best fix that. Hate for the Queen to get wet and die
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the Queen had anything about her and actually cared about the country she runs then she would stop these stupid demands.

Can you point to me any evidence the queen has asked for a royal yacht?.

All the media has made it clear (even the guardian) that this is a stupid idea from gove, and nothing at all to do with the palace.

So if you have this "evidence" I genuinely would love to see it....
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    typical tory