Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Is DYNAMO the magician some sort of freak of nature?

Old 01-02-2012, 10:01
jsmith99
Forum Member

If he does the trick with the 5 loaves and 3 fishes, then it's the second coming!
The third fish came from up his sleeve, I imagine.

Personally, I'd settle for the turning water into wine. Preferably a nice Shiraz.
jsmith99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:20
divingbboy
Forum Member

Criss Angel does similar things.
I've never forgiven Criss Angel for absolutely ruining my lunch in Vegas a few years ago when he turned up to film, the knob.
divingbboy is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:17
Daedroth
Forum Member

Illusion, manipulation, misdirection and deception, that's what he excels at, like Criss Angel.
Daedroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:27
MGS4SnakeRulez
Forum Member

How does he do the one where he takes someones mobile and twists is? Is it just the person with the phone is actually his mate and the phones a trick phone made to be twisted?
MGS4SnakeRulez is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:28
ChocFestUnited
Forum Member

Everything Dynamo does is faked. He's not a magician, he's a fraud.
ChocFestUnited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:32
Gilbertoo
Forum Member

So, please do tell me which magician performs real things?
Gilbertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:45
ChocFestUnited
Forum Member

So, please do tell me which magician performs real things?
I only mentioned Dynamo because that's who the forum's about.

Gandalf?
Old 01-02-2012, 11:54
Daedroth
Forum Member

So you're suggesting magic is real?
Daedroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:57
Gilbertoo
Forum Member

I only mentioned Dynamo because that's who the forum's about.

Gandalf?
So long as you know that every magician is a fake, that's alright. Yes, even Gandalf.
Gilbertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:01
.Lauren.
Forum Member

I think what annoys me about Dynamo is the way he passes off his magic.

Obviously every magician will deceive you as magic isn't real.

But it's the way he uses TV tricks and stooges and fake items that annoys me it really cheapens the idea of magic. Many magicians will use tricks, but they aren't reliant on the things Dynamo is. They could still do amazing stuff without stoogoes, TV trickery and props. if you take those away from Dynamo all you're left with is simple card tricks.
.Lauren. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:02
Soundbox
Forum Member

I've not seen him - is he better than Paul Daniels?

"Not a lot - just a little". Hard to better Paul and his cards.
Soundbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:10
DarthFader
Forum Member

As others have said if you use slow mo on Sky Plus you can work out how he does stuff, like walking through the glass you can see him crawling around and out the door but behind the two big security guards on the door.

I am sure he uses so many celebs as they must enjoy being in on the joke but never telling joe public unlike if joe public who would no doubt come on here and blab.

Saying that, news flash all magic is not real and is fake so complaining he is fake doesn't really wash with me. He seems a genuine humble guy when he is interviewed, he never uses his illness as an excuse and should be a positive role model for anyone with long term illness.

PJ
DarthFader is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:37
ChocFestUnited
Forum Member

So you're suggesting magic is real?
So long as you know that every magician is a fake, that's alright. Yes, even Gandalf.
I do know, I promise!

Old 01-02-2012, 12:38
ChocFestUnited
Forum Member

But it's the way he uses TV tricks and stooges and fake items that annoys me it really cheapens the idea of magic. Many magicians will use tricks, but they aren't reliant on the things Dynamo is. They could still do amazing stuff without stoogoes, TV trickery and props. if you take those away from Dynamo all you're left with is simple card tricks.
This is what I was getting at earlier. All that faux wonderment is extremely irritating.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:41
Tom_Tit
Forum Member

Poor mans David Blaine.
Tom_Tit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:43
alfster
Forum Member

I agree it cheapens magic...but it is still magic..."the art of making something appear to happen which is impossible" (my definition).

However, it's not GOOD magic.

i.e. The Derren Brown Live Lottery Prediction wasn't 'good' magic, but the follow-up show on how he supposedly did it 'was' good magic (that's obviously a matter of opinion - however the follow up show was non-stooge, non-camera trick stuff where the 'wisdom of crowds' test group really believed they made the prediction.)
alfster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:49
alfster
Forum Member

As others have said if you use slow mo on Sky Plus you can work out how he does stuff, like walking through the glass you can see him crawling around and out the door but behind the two big security guards on the door.
Going on from my pervious post about good/bad magic I'd say that's a good magic trick. No camera tricks, yes it needs some setting up in camera angles but a card trick needs to be done at specific angles to the audience so they can't see the card manipulations.

Did it look like Dynamo had walked through glass without having to go into slo-mo or it being a camera trick? If yes then it's an OK trick...magic tricks are supposed to be viewed and experienced at full speed. Just because someone can work out how something is done by frame-by-frame slo-mo doesn;t make it a bad trick.

The best tricks can have the simplest explanation especially if it's a great effect.i.e. walking through glass.

pretty much any non-manipulation trick will have a 'banal' explanation...but that doesn't make it a bad trick.
alfster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 13:18
Ingenue
Forum Member

Seriously?

Seriously seriously seriously?

OP it's all just an illusion, like any other magician. I remember seeing ONE and only one of his shows on TV where he 'apparently' magicked himself through a pane of glass, when in actual fact you could see some big burly bouncers hiding him as he crawled around the doorway to then stand up at the other side of the glass.

Edit to add, I've just seen that Darth Fader has already mentioned this one.
Ingenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 13:42
Sifter22
Forum Member

Has it been confirmed Dynamo uses camera tricks? Will that one where he balances the guitar and drumsticks be camera work?
Sifter22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 14:18
Bathsheba
Forum Member

I think he must be an alien or sutin !
You're Jerry Baboona

Him and David Blaine are the only peopl on planet who are God's sperm
LOL, I must have seen that episode of Never Mind the Buzzcocks about 5 times. Adam Buxton needs to be full-time host.
Bathsheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 14:25
Pootmatoot
Forum Member

It's a combination of basic tricks, camera tricks, and stooges.

He's not an "honest magician" (ie his tv show uses fake members of the public and the scenes are cut together misleadingly, much like David Blaine)
Pootmatoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 14:27
Pootmatoot
Forum Member

Has it been confirmed Dynamo uses camera tricks? Will that one where he balances the guitar and drumsticks be camera work?

Yes. In one episode he teleports between two building rooftops: you can see a pillar that is there in one shot, and not in another, because it's been spliced in to hide the transition between two totally different shots as the camera suddenly moves between the two buildings.
Pootmatoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 14:29
Sifter22
Forum Member

Yes. In one episode he teleports between two building rooftops: you can see a pillar that is there in one shot, and not in another, because it's been spliced in to hide the transition between two totally different shots as the camera suddenly moves between the two buildings.
Ahhh yeah think I remember that one. Guess that was a pretty big mistake. For me though it's often just lazy watching, he gets boring after about 10mins.
Sifter22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 14:31
Ingenue
Forum Member

LOL, I must have seen that episode of Never Mind the Buzzcocks about 5 times. Adam Buxton needs to be full-time host.
That is my favourite episode of Never Mind the Buzzcocks...... or sutun
Ingenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 22:35
James J
Forum Member

Seems no one can explain walking through a glass door, disappearing and turning into a heap of clothes...

It's all ... camera tricks?!

The production crew are extremely tight lipped.
James J is offline   Reply With Quote