Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Why Freeview Boxes do not have a DAB Tuner inside them?

Old 19-02-2013, 00:03
lbear
Forum Member

Argos claim that their Bush TVs can receive DAB radio. I even have an email from their technical department assuring me that this is the case!!!!
Funnily enough I did ask that eBay seller if they would confirm that their USB stick would indeed receive DAB. They replied it did and had many happy customers. Then they rather spoiled it by offering a refund if it did not (and of course failed to mention that I was also entitled to return postage under the SoGA as it would be "fundamentally unfit" since I was specifying this function as a reason for buying)
lbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 19-02-2013, 00:44
gomezz
Forum Member

There is of course the danger that DAB is becoming universally accepted as meaning all digital radio just as Freeview now means all DTT transmissions. I can see the man on the Clapham omnibus test getting any claim to the contrary thrown out.
gomezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 14:38
jj20x
Forum Member

There is of course the danger that DAB is becoming universally accepted as meaning all digital radio just as Freeview now means all DTT transmissions. I can see the man on the Clapham omnibus test getting any claim to the contrary thrown out.
If D Love gets his way we'll all be calling it "digital radio".
jj20x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 17:25
jj20x
Forum Member

DAB radio manufacturer, Pure, has entered the DTT set-top box market. Notably, as a well known manufacturer of DAB kit, it hasn't included a DAB tuner.

http://radiotoday.co.uk/2013/02/pure...t-with-avalon/
Old 25-02-2013, 17:43
spiney2
Forum Member

a dab radio is a separate device. inside the combo-box you'd need additional tuner/ ifstage/ decoder/sowtware. only power supply is shared. so what would be the point ?
spiney2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 18:35
jj20x
Forum Member

so what would be the point ?
There isn't a point, for the manufacturer it would be a lost opportunity to make 2 sales instead of one. It's just a feature some people on this thread seem to like. Something that has previously been available on budget brand models.
Old 03-03-2013, 14:44
barbeler
Forum Member

Why do you need a Band III aerial when you pick up a signal on a portable DAB radio using the wire of a two quid pair of ear plug headphones from B&M Discounts?
barbeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 14:49
Nigel Goodwin
Forum Member

Why do you need a Band III aerial when you pick up a signal on a portable DAB radio using the wire of a two quid pair of ear plug headphones from B&M Discounts?
Because DAB coverage is abysmal
Nigel Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 17:57
hanssolo
Forum Member

DAB coverage is till being rolled out, it's good in many areas so reception should eventually improve in others?
a dab radio is a separate device. inside the combo-box you'd need additional tuner/ ifstage/ decoder/sowtware. only power supply is shared. so what would be the point ?
As mentioned there was a Goodmans Freeview STB that had DAB which is needed for local stations that are not on freeview, but with many STBs and TVs becoming "Smart " and internet connected it could be that sets get built in internet Radioplayer or Tunein software apps, so radio over Freeview, Freesat, VM or Sky may not be needed as national and local radio via TV will come from the internet?
http://www.radioplayer.co.uk/radioplayer-on-your-tv/
Although to some people it seems like a strange thing to do, official ‘RAJAR’ figures show that nearly 5% of all radio listening is done through a TV. At the moment, the main way people find radio on their TV is by scrolling down the huge list of channels in the electronic programme guide. Lurking right down the bottom, usually beyond Home Shopping, God, and Dating, are a few dozen radio stations.

Ask anyone in the media business, and they’ll tell you that 2012 is likely to be the year of ‘connected TVs’. They’re referring to the trend for people to buy tellies that can hook up to your wi-fi and give you stuff not only from your TV aerial/satellite/cable connection, but also through the internet. And apparently we’re increasingly connecting things to our TVs that are themselves connected to the internet – like set-top boxes, games consoles and Blu-ray players.

This opens up a few interesting possibilities for Radioplayer….

1) As TVs get more user-friendly, we should be able to make Radio easier to find. Ideally, under one button.
2) Instead of just a few dozen stations, we should be able to offer listeners more choice (there are now 307 stations in Radioplayer).
3) And while you’re listening, we could show you more interesting/useful stuff on your screen, using the internet connection.
hanssolo is offline   Reply With Quote