Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Series 7 Spoilers & Information Beginning to Come In

Closed Thread
Old 08-02-2012, 12:35
sandydune
Forum Member

Boomerangs are dangerous, as we know, sandy.

lol Granny, it might also depend on the wind direction
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 08-02-2012, 14:36
Corwin
Forum Member

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/chibnall-wh...es-7-30671.htm

Toby Whithouse and Chris Chibnall confirmed as Series 7 writers.
Toby's script is lined up to be Episode 3.
Old 08-02-2012, 16:33
dorkjacksn
Forum Member

Quite happy to see Whithouse back but not particularly enthused by Chibnall. He'll have to go a long way to impress me after his shambolic last 3 offerings. Am I the only one who had hoped for a bit of new blood in the writing staff this year instead of just Roberts, Gatiss, Chibnall, Whithouse over and over? There's plenty of new talent out there surely?
Old 08-02-2012, 16:40
andy1231
Forum Member

Whatever happened to the episode Stephen Fry was writing ? I know it was delayed/cancelled for budgetery reasons but is there any reason it can't be reserected ?
Old 08-02-2012, 17:57
Corwin
Forum Member

Quite happy to see Whithouse back but not particularly enthused by Chibnall. He'll have to go a long way to impress me after his shambolic last 3 offerings. Am I the only one who had hoped for a bit of new blood in the writing staff this year instead of just Roberts, Gatiss, Chibnall, Whithouse over and over? There's plenty of new talent out there surely?
John Fay (who is supposedly writing an episode) is new to DW though of course he has done Torchwood.

There are still 4 or 5 episodes unaccounted for so we may get some other new names.
Whatever happened to the episode Stephen Fry was writing ? I know it was delayed/cancelled for budgetery reasons but is there any reason it can't be reserected ?
It would have to be totally rewritten for a new Doctor and companion and I guess Stephen Fry is just too busy.
Old 08-02-2012, 19:52
Granny McSmith
Forum Member

lol Granny, it might also depend on the wind direction
And on cars backfiring at crucial moments.
Old 08-02-2012, 20:31
Tom Tit
Forum Member

I didn't like any of Whithouse's previous episodes prior to last series; I felt hey had a terrible, smug tone. But his contribution last series was good. Hopefully he has a handle on the show now because before he seemed uncertain about the tone of the show; when characters should make jokes, when they should be serious etc.

Chibnall: I didn't like '42'; too much running around and shouting and not enough actual story. I thought his Silurians story was decent, although the ending was too easy. But i think he has talent there to be unlocked.

I don't watch Torchwood, so i'm not famailiar with John Fay, How were his episodes of that received?

I'm also hoping for some new writers to keep it fresh. Then again, last series was so solid, episode upon episode, that you couldn't blame Moffat for sticking, more or less, with the same people.
Old 08-02-2012, 21:37
TheSilentFez
Forum Member

Yay! Toby Whithouse's The God Complex was my favourite of Series 6 and Chibnall's 42 was one of my all-time favourite episodes. I enjoyed the Silurian two-parter as well, so good news all around!

What's with all the Chris Chibnall hate? I really liked 42 and I fail to see what was so bad about The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood.
Old 08-02-2012, 22:31
Lazlo Wolf
Inactive Member

Moffat probably doesn't need another hefty celeb re-writing job like Gaiman's.
Old 08-02-2012, 22:31
JCR
Forum Member

I fail to see what was so bad about The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood.
Have you seen Doctor Who and the Silurians? It's the same thing but about a million times better than the recent ones.
Old 08-02-2012, 22:34
JCR
Forum Member

The Fry script has been dead for a long time. He told RTD he didn't have time to do a complete rewrite, which taking out Rose and putting in the companions of the day would have involved.
Old 08-02-2012, 22:53
performingmonk
Forum Member

It was rumoured that Stephen Fry's episode involved King Arthur and, with Merlin coming along, they just didn't bother developing it any further.

No doubt the episode would have shown that Arthur really did exist and probably was an alien!!
Old 09-02-2012, 02:04
Tom Tit
Forum Member

I love how you've taken a stray quote there and made fiction from it. Nice going.

I agree though. Doctor Who doesn't need amateur writers like Neil Gaiman. It needs people who have done great things, like Toby Whithouse.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:59
Talma
Forum Member

Gaiman's not a 'celeb', he's only one of the finest and most-respected SF/fantasy writers there is. A million light years away from Stephen Fry.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:12
Lazlo Wolf
Inactive Member

I've started a new thread on the Gaiman/Fry issue.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Series 7 Information.
Old 09-02-2012, 13:14
Davidus
Forum Member

Sylvester McCoy has to return in a starring role!

How about as The Master!!!!
Old 09-02-2012, 13:46
chrisii2011
Forum Member

I for one was extremly disappointed by series 6 it became the river song show so i stopped watching,however i will be watching the first episode of series 7 to see whether it plucks my interest again.My opinion is if river song is so popular why not make a spin off like they did with sarah jane and seeing as now that is finished its perfect timing for a spin off,leaving doctor who to focus on the doctor and the monsters and aliens,and the river song show to be about her and her adventures aswell as guest appearences by the doctor of course.
Old 09-02-2012, 14:02
davrosdodebird
Forum Member

I wish they would get Graeme Harper back to do some directing duties
davrosdodebird is offline Follow this poster on Twitter  
Old 09-02-2012, 16:06
Corwin
Forum Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/ne...the_New_Series

It's almost time. New monsters are becoming real, old friends are returning to Cardiff and somewhere in Wales, a tweed jacket is being taken from its hanger and lovingly dusted off. It can only mean one thing... Filming on the new series of Doctor Who begins on 20 February, 2012!

The first director to shout 'action' will be the award-winning Saul Metzstein whose previous credits include Micro Men (starring Alexander Armstrong and Martin Freeman), the critically acclaimed Late Night Shopping and BBC Wales' Upstairs Downstairs. For the very first time, Doctor Who will be produced at the new BBC Roath Lock Studios in Cardiff, which officially open in March. The production team includes Steven Moffat (Executive Producer and lead writer), Caroline Skinner (Executive Producer) and Marcus Wilson (Producer).
The new series will see Matt Smith return as the Doctor in what Steven Moffat has described as 'the biggest, the best and the most ambitious season we've ever made'. Karen Gillan (Amy) and Arthur Darvill (Rory) are both back, for what will be their final voyage with the Doctor - a thrilling rollercoaster ride which will culminate in a heart-breaking farewell to the Ponds. But there will be more shocks, surprises and adventures to come when the Doctor meets a new friend, in the last very place he could ever have expected...
And yes! We've been promised the return of some old monsters, but some new and terrifying ones lie in wait for the Doctor...
Old 09-02-2012, 16:42
Listentome
Forum Member

I wish they would get Graeme Harper back to do some directing duties
Agreed. I forgot how many episodes he directed between series 2-4 and the specials. I'd love to see him do a great scary two-parter.

I'd like to see new writers, but would be thrilled to see a classic series writer back. Maybe not someone as old school as Terrance Dicks, but maybe someone from the McCoy era (which feels closest to the revived series). Especially a season 26 writer. Perhaps even Ben Aaronovitch or Marc Platt.

I kind of hope Gareth Roberts doesn't do one, though I have to say I do like The Lodger, but mainly because it was a great showcase for Matt. Maybe if he did a more classic series type story, otherwise give him a rest.
Old 09-02-2012, 18:15
SimonSmith42
Forum Member

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=183
Old 09-02-2012, 19:36
outside
Forum Member

The title of episode 2 "would stop the heart of a lesser man" according to the latest DWM Production Notes.

"Revenge of the Taran Wood Beast", it is, then.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:04
Granny McSmith
Forum Member

The title of episode 2 "would stop the heart of a lesser man" according to the latest DWM Production Notes.

"Revenge of the Taran Wood Beast", it is, then.
Or maybe "The Return of Mel Bush"
Old 10-02-2012, 12:17
outside
Forum Member

Or maybe "The Return of Mel Bush"
Now, that would stop my heart, in all the right ways. Do the right thing, Mr Moffat!

Did you know that the Sixth Doctor and Mel met the Quarks in an unseen adventure (according to one of the novels)?
Old 10-02-2012, 12:24
Granny McSmith
Forum Member

Now, that would stop my heart, in all the right ways. Do the right thing, Mr Moffat!

Did you know that the Sixth Doctor and Mel met the Quarks in an unseen adventure (according to one of the novels)?
Well, of course I knew that, because my Quark, Dodo, told me!

(In real life, no I didn't know that Who came off worse?)

Closed Thread