Options

Salary opinions/advice

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
Forum Member
Hi all,

I'm 19 years old and I'm in my first year of university studying Orthoptics.

I know that I'll be earning about 20,000 - 22,000 straight out the door when I graduate, and I know that this is fairly good for someone that has just graduated. However I know that Orthoptists only really earn up to around 60,000 max, maybe a bit more if you're lucky

I can't really gauge how good a salary this would be because I don't have enough experience, but if I had no kids and was living on my own or with a partner who was also earning would this be a good salary? and what about if I'm working and living in London or not?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I can't pretend to know a great deal about your industry but as a recent graduate, learn from my mistakes.

You can't expect to walk out of University into a job, As harsh as it sounds I can almost guarantee you that you won't. Chances are like me you'll be working an unpaid internship to gain experience or working somewhere as a "stop-gap" or even worse unemployed.

I know plenty of people that got a better degree than me in an area that is alot more conducive to getting a job that are desperately trying to find any form of work.

Harsh, but ultimately you need to lower your expectations.

In answer to your question, Yes 20,000 is a good salary for a new graduate, whatever the field, but seriously, you'll need to work your arse off and get a fair slice of luck along the way to get it.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    people can get by on £25k household income if you really wanted. Is £60k a good salary, it depends on what sort of lifestyle you want to live.
  • Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, what's prompted your question? Are you planning early, or having a change of heart on Orthoptics?
  • Options
    eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

I'm 19 years old and I'm in my first year of university studying Orthoptics.

I know that I'll be earning about 20,000 - 22,000 straight out the door when I graduate, and I know that this is fairly good for someone that has just graduated. However I know that Orthoptists only really earn up to around 60,000 max, maybe a bit more if you're lucky

I can't really gauge how good a salary this would be because I don't have enough experience, but if I had no kids and was living on my own or with a partner who was also earning would this be a good salary? and what about if I'm working and living in London or not?

thanks in advance

If you genuinely don't know whether or not £60,000 is a 'good' salary then I'd question how you got into university as common sense is clearly lacking.

Unless you want to live in a millionaire's lifestyle, I'd say you could get by just fine on 'only' 60,000 a year, even in London. Especially as you're single and have no children.

20,000 - 22,000 is a salary most graduates would be thrilled to get as soon as they walk out of university. It's a bit of an insult to say that's a 'fairly good' salary when there are graduates working as interns and volunteering and stacking shelves on work placements who would kill for 20,000 a year jobs.
  • Options
    Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a little confused by the question. Are you asking if £20k is okay to live in London on? If that's the question then you have to find out - nobody knows how much your living costs are except you and where in London you want to live and what sort of accommodation. Surely someone must have told you how to work out cost of living? And does it have to be London?

If you're asking if that's a good salary for your proposed line of work then again down to you. Surely you must know enough about the industry to be aware of salaries otherwise why bother going to university at all!

And good luck with walking straight out of uni into that job. I think £20k for any job right now isn't bad going.
  • Options
    MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to echo what the other said - starting jobs in your field may be worth £22k a year but it is highly unlikely you will be able to get one soon after you graduate. Graduates with first class degrees are stacking shelves in Tesco as we speak.

Your biggest expense is almost always rent/mortgage unless you can stay with family. As a general rule, it shouldn't be more than 40% of your income and 30% is more comfortable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    The average UK wage is £25K, which gives you a take home pay of roughly £1400 a month.

The average London wage is £30k which gives you a take home pay of roughly £1675 a month.

If the top end of your pay scale is about £60K that would give you a take home pay of roughly £3400.
  • Options
    Miss NMiss N Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friend is an Orthoptist. I don't know how much she earns as I find it rude to ask friends how much their salary is!!

She has been at the same Clinic for years...there isn't really many promotion opportunities other than being head of the clinic. I can't imagine that my friend is anywhere close to a salary of £60K though.
  • Options
    deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    £60K..?? I would love to earn £60K....!!

I used to work in the city and at the highest point of my job there, I was earning £55K.

....eventually got made redundant and the company went under.

Now, I'm working in a totally different field and only getting £19K. If your questioning if £60K is 'a good salary' - I think you're not aiming high enough......:rolleyes:
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stop being so harsh on the OP s/he is only 19 and probably never had a job so would never know!!! Its experience that teaches you these things.

20k should be fine for you - even on your own. Depending where you live you could probably rent somewhere for about £600 a month, bills of about £300 and the rest is your own. Not bad.