Options

General Ident Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.Page wrote: »
    Does anybody anticipate a new "Strictly come Dancing" ident, for the forthcoming new series, now that the TV Centre ones are no longer appropriate?

This year's promo ends with a huge glitterball, which reminds me of the original SCD Glitterball ident, but I would be surprised if they reverted back to that one.

Surely, it's too big a show for the BBC, to not have one made, for this new "Elstree" era?

I am actually really bored of all BBC1 and BBC2 idents now. There's no excuse not to change them. They spend money on elaborate animations for one Rugby match yet their on screen presentation is ignored. The BBC now look tired and old fashioned. I think it reflects on their output too. Look at how ITV has improved this year. New look, new idents, new shows and it has worked out well for them. BBC should take note.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    I am actually really bored of all BBC1 and BBC2 idents now. There's no excuse not to change them. They spend money on elaborate animations for one Rugby match yet their on screen presentation is ignored. The BBC now look tired and old fashioned. I think it reflects on their output too. Look at how ITV has improved this year. New look, new idents, new shows and it has worked out well for them. BBC should take note.

yes the Beeb should change them all BBC 3 and 4 included! We shold also have an 'ITV/C4/C5/Sky and other broadcasters' idents disscussion thread!
    This thread should also be renamed to just BBC channels ident disscussion thread, as then it can include BBC3/4/Kids/News/Parliament and Alba too!
  • Options
    RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am actually really bored of all BBC1 and BBC2 idents now. There's no excuse not to change them. They spend money on elaborate animations for one Rugby match yet their on screen presentation is ignored. .
    Do they, give an example?
  • Options
    D.PageD.Page Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm sure you've heard this from me before, but I think this BBC1 ident era is the best yet. Having said that, the almost total lack of any new ones being introduced thesedays means that most people are probably finding them tiresome now, after all this time. Quite understandable. (Even I am!). Also, I can never stop cringing at 'Kites' (and one or two others) which, since their refreshes, now have ridiculously brief pre form-ups which simply no longer work at all.

BBC would agrue that they have recently refreshed BBC2's idents with the new soundtracks. I personally don't like these new soundtracks, for use with the idents, apart from 'Mirror', which I think works well, as the original soundtrack, although good, was a little too sombre for this ident's visuals really.

As for itv's new idents, I think they are, frankly, rubbish. Yes, there are an awful lot of them, but I don't think the production values are in the same league as BBC1 and BBC2's idents.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do they, give an example?

There was a recent rugby league final where the trailer featured some animated giant players hurling themselves across London landmarks. This must have cost a few quid to create as it was just for one match.
  • Options
    BurstfireBurstfire Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am actually really bored of all BBC1 and BBC2 idents now. There's no excuse not to change them. They spend money on elaborate animations for one Rugby match yet their on screen presentation is ignored.

Remember, the BBC are under budget cuts (the rugby animations would have come out the sport budget). I doubt they'll change their idents because a few anoraks noticed it hasn't changed for a while.
    Personally I think the circle Idents still work well and there's no need to change them for the sake of change. Get over it, 90% of viewers probably don't care.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Burstfire wrote: »
    Remember, the BBC are under budget cuts (the rugby animations would have come out the sport budget). I doubt they'll change their idents because a few anoraks noticed it hasn't changed for a while.
    Personally I think the circle Idents still work well and there's no need to change them for the sake of change. Get over it, 90% of viewers probably don't care.

I am sure you're right. Thanks for such wonderful narkiness. They will eventually change the idents, and I have been told by the BBC that there are "currently no plans to change them". But idents will change eventually and the costs will come from the marketing budget (as do all trailers) and actually, considering they can strengthen a channels identity and brand (ITV this year for example), budget cuts or no budget cuts, spending a quarter of a million quid on a strong brand identity that gets international recognition and can enhance the identity, is not really money wasted.
  • Options
    emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am sure you're right. Thanks for such wonderful narkiness. They will eventually change the idents, and I have been told by the BBC that there are "currently no plans to change them". But idents will change eventually and the costs will come from the marketing budget (as do all trailers) and actually, considering they can strengthen a channels identity and brand (ITV this year for example), budget cuts or no budget cuts, spending a quarter of a million quid on a strong brand identity that gets international recognition and can enhance the identity, is not really money wasted.

i wounder what the new lady controller has ideas on this? other than story telling themes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well said. (Apart from the bit in bold, for me :D)
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

ITV's new idents are terrible compared to their previous ones. I thought they finally got them right, but then screwed them up.
  • Options
    goldframedoorgoldframedoor Posts: 1,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it on BBC One, the flying kites, wind and grey clouds ident seems to be one of the most used idents on BBC One, even throughout most of summer, and the days in September when we have still been having the decent weather? Why can't they use that woods, squirrels and sunlight ident more often during the periods of good weather? :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it on BBC One, the flying kites, wind and grey clouds ident seems to be one of the most used idents on BBC One, even throughout most of summer, and the days in September when we have still been having the decent weather? Why can't they use that woods, squirrels and sunlight ident more often during the periods of good weather? :(

If you were to watch BBC1 all day long, on a typical day, there will usually be a mixture of their idents, though I readily admit, with a few of them reserved for less frequent programming. They do try, much of the time at least, to choose the most logical ident for each proceeding programme.

It depends on when, exactly, you are tuned in to BBC1, and what you regularly watch on BBC1, as to how frequently certain BBC1 idents seem to be used. Kites, and Capes (cyclists riding around a roundabout), are usually used for the BBC1 News, as well as other serious programming. If you are tuning in to BBC1 for the news a lot, for example, then it may appear that Kites (and Capes) are being used much more than most others.
  • Options
    goldframedoorgoldframedoor Posts: 1,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you were to watch BBC1 all day long, on a typical day, there will usually be a mixture of their idents, though I readily admit, with a few of them reserved for less frequent programming. They do try, much of the time at least, to choose the most logical ident for each proceeding programme.

It depends on when, exactly, you are tuned in to BBC1, and what you regularly watch on BBC1, as to how frequently certain BBC1 idents seem to be used. Kites, and Capes (cyclists riding around a roundabout), are usually used for the BBC1 News, as well as other serious programming. If you are tuning in to BBC1 for the news a lot, for example, then it may appear that Kites (and Capes) are being used much more than most others.
    The kites and capes ident is one of my favorites, with the helicopter rising from a platform in the middle of the sea one is my most favorite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The kites and capes ident is one of my favorites, with the helicopter rising from a platform in the middle of the sea one is my most favorite.

In case you’re interested, here's a few full length/clean uploads:

BBC1 Ident ‘Kites’ 2009 Edit - Full Length/Clean (Northern Ireland version)
    http://www.framestore.com/work/bbc-ident-kites

BBC1 Ident 'Capes' Original Long Edit - Full Length/Clean
    http://vimeo.com/63995324

BBC1 Ident ‘Capes’ 2009 Long Edit - Full Length/Clean
    http://www.aurophonic.com/page/2/#/bbc-1-capes-ident-re-vamp

(With 'Capes', keep an eye on the puddle at about the 4 o'clock position on the roundabout. A few of the cyclists appear to ride underneath it :D)
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (With 'Capes', keep an eye on the puddle at about the 4 o'clock position on the roundabout. A few of the cyclists appear to ride underneath it :D)

It's like there's shadow on the cyclists, albeit from something underneath them :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    It's like there's shadow on the cyclists, albeit from something underneath them :)

It is the same effect as when I'm using Photoshop, and I've set one of the layers I'm working on to a reduced opacity.

It’s amazing really, isn’t it. BBC1’s idents look very lavish, and you get the impression that everything is taken into account, right up to the finest detail, yet quite a noticeable error can creep in, which, incredibly, nobody seems to spot.

I noticed another error with the Channel 4 ident “Diner”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUP4-lZXSHM

At about 0:08, look closely at the front edge of the silhouette of the car in the foreground. For a brief moment, a chunk of the car disappears! It is very brief, but freezing the footage at the right moment shows the missing area clearly :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC2 are using the 'retro' idents they used for their '80s season, in May 2010, for their ‘Afternoon Classics’ season, on weekday afternoons.
    Glad they had the presence-of-mind to use them again for this new afternoon classics season.

What’s more, at the junction between Mastermind and The Weakest Link today, they used BBC2's 'Blade', from the 1991-2001 ident era, on the programme board.
    Let's hope we are also going to be treated to one or two of the superb idents from this era (including 'Blade') during this 'Afternoon Classics' season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC2 are using the 'retro' idents they used for their '80s season, in May 2010, for their ‘Afternoon Classics’ season, on weekday afternoons.

Glad they had the presence-of-mind to use them again for this new afternoon classics season.

What’s more, at the junction between Mastermind and The Weakest Link today, they used BBC2's 'Blade', from the 1991-2001 ident era, on the programme board.

Let's hope we are going to be treated to one or two of the superb idents from this era (including 'Blade') during this 'Afternoon Classics' season.

I have a feeling that BBC1 will be getting a rebrand soon. With BBC1+1 launching it would make sense for it happen then. The current set of idents were 7 years old last saturday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a feeling that BBC1 will be getting a rebrand soon. With BBC1+1 launching it would make sense for it happen then. The current set of idents were 7 years old last saturday.

Is it just a hunch, or do you have any actual info, as such, which might indicate this?
  • Options
    dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be happy with just an update of the current BBC1 idents, they work well and no point spending loads of money on a complete rebrand when a few updates and tweeks would save some cash.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it just a hunch, or do you have any actual info, as such?

Just a hunch really. But there was a lot of emphasis on the importance of BBC1 yesterday. Form it needs to be "on top form" and "brave" and that any work on channels must start with BBC1. And, as BBC3 have now had new idents it would make sense for BBC1 to have some.
  • Options
    leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    ITV's new idents are terrible compared to their previous ones. I thought they finally got them right, but then screwed them up.
    The itv idents are rubbish compared to the regional idents days. Those were the glory days of itv imo.

The bbc idents need a revamp along the lines of the 1990/91 ones
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    The itv idents are rubbish compared to the regional idents days. Those were the glory days of itv imo.

The bbc idents need a revamp along the lines of the 1990/91 ones

The 1991+ stings (the '1' being used as various objects) could easily be adapted into terrific idents.
  • Options
    emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a hunch really. But there was a lot of emphasis on the importance of BBC1 yesterday. Form it needs to be "on top form" and "brave" and that any work on channels must start with BBC1. And, as BBC3 have now had new idents it would make sense for BBC1 to have some.

whats the new controler of bbc 1 again? whats her name? i want to email her on the bbc 1 ident idea. my email to danny cohan fell on death ears
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emails wrote: »
    whats the new controler of bbc 1 again? whats her name? i want to email her on the bbc 1 ident idea. my email to danny cohan fell on death ears

Charlotte Moore.