Vonets VAP11G WIFI Bridge vonets wifi bridge
OR
The open media version open media wifi bridge

What is your opinion?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    I'm not using either of those so can't comment on them, but I got one of these a couple of weeks ago. http://www.ebuyer.com/169923-tenda-wireless-n150-access-point-router-extender-w311r- It does the same job (for £11.99!) and has 4 ports, so connected my Sky box, Blu-ray player and TV all in one go, with one to spare.

The only thing it doesn't do is take its power from USB - it has to have mains power. Other than that, I thoroughly recommend it.
  • Options
    philleesphillees Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    I'm using the VAP11g mate, works fine once you track down the setting up software.( the software it comes with isn't win7 or vista compatible)
    After that It's up and running in minutes. At the time of purchase it was the cheapest I could find at £20.
  • Options
    AVTECHAVTECH Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the comments so far.

The Vonets looks the better option for me (small size to tuck away behind the sky box). Thanks for the heads up about the software, I've now been looking at various reviews and the software supplied seems a bit hit and miss, some report disc won't read, some it runs xp only, others that it is win7 only. So I should be prepared if that is my final decision.
  • Options
    philleesphillees Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    If you do a Google search you'll find a link to a guy who has done a setup guide, pictures and all.(its on the avforums)
    His method for a final connection check is a bit long winded but he has very kindly dropped the setup software in a cloud thingy so its easy to retrieve.
  • Options
    FulwellFulwell Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    phillees wrote: »
    I'm using the VAP11g mate, works fine once you track down the setting up software.( the software it comes with isn't win7 or vista compatible)
    After that It's up and running in minutes. At the time of purchase it was the cheapest I could find at £20.

I've got this bridge and its software installed no problem whatsoever on my Win 7 laptop (I've read reviews from others who reported problems trying to load it onto Win 7 but was ok on XP and vice versa!).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I settled for the Vonets in the end.

The software disc supplied has options for xp and win7/vista. Loaded and installed easily.

Runs like a dream, so why pay sky £60 for their version when this came in at just under £20.

Now. if only the sky box USBs supplied power ! :(
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,524
    Forum Member
    AVTECH wrote: »
    Runs like a dream, so why pay sky £60 for their version when this came in at just under £20.

Because it essentially plugs in and works, and you don't need a computer (plus reasonable computer skills) in order to set it up.

If you have the required computer, and possess the skills required, then there are numerous cheaper options - but none as simple.

Best option of course is to run an Ethernet lead!.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it essentially plugs in and works, and you don't need a computer (plus reasonable computer skills) in order to set it up.

If you have the required computer, and possess the skills required, then there are numerous cheaper options - but none as simple.

Best option of course is to run an Ethernet lead!.

Wife would not let me run ethernet cable from router in master socket in bedroom across the hall then across the full length of the lounge :mad: or this would have been my first choice.

Reasonable computer skills?:confused: I put the disc in my laptop drive, put the rj45 in the ethernet socket and USB in its socket, it started to load !
    I clicked " next " 3 times, entered my router passkey (from the querty keyboard). Set up done!
    Then put it into sky box, powered up and got a page on screen asking me to press "select" on my remote.
    ALL DONE AND DUSTED.

NO COMPUTER SKILLS REQUIRED.
    I would have happily let my 10 year old grandson do it. But then I would probably had to give him half of the £40 I saved:D

Having watched the SKY VIDEO of how to set up their own wireless box (including having to use the remote as a keypad to enter the passkey) I reckon the Vonets was just as simple.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wife would not let me run ethernet cable from router in master socket in bedroom across the hall then across the full length of the lounge :mad: or this would have been my first choice.

Reasonable computer skills?:confused: I put the disc in my laptop drive, put the rj45 in the ethernet socket and USB in its socket, it started to load !
    I clicked " next " 3 times, entered my router passkey (from the querty keyboard). Set up done!
    Then put it into sky box, powered up and got a page on screen asking me to press "select" on my remote.
    ALL DONE AND DUSTED.

NO COMPUTER SKILLS REQUIRED.
    I would have happily let my 10 year old grandson do it.

10 year old grandkids have the skills :D

A great many people can't even tune their TV, never mind setting up something like this. However, from your description it's easier than some of the other options.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10 year old grandkids have the skills :D

I've got this one trained already:D He can identify diodes and capacitors and knows how to read resistor bands, and his solder joints are clean and neat.
  • Options
    arkwrightarkwright Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Does this take it's power from the Sky box's USB?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately not.

Most boxes now do not have power available out of the USB, there are still some older boxes out there which do (but rare now).
    I used a spare 3pin to USB transformer which came with a (now defunct) phone, these are also available in many sites for £2/3.
    No need to worry to much about which transformer, the WiFi bridge operates on a range of 5 - 15 volts
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've got this one trained already:D He can identify diodes and capacitors and knows how to read resistor bands, and his solder joints are clean and neat.

I taught my daughter to solder about 7 or 8, and while I never managed to get her interested in Electronics she has made a number of Maplin/Vellemen kits and enjoyed doing so.

At secondary school they did electronics for a couple of lessons (building 55 timers on veroboard), and she could solder better than the teacher! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    arkwright wrote: »
    Does this take it's power from the Sky box's USB?

It does on my 3 year old Amstrad HD box.
  • Options
    arkwrightarkwright Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately not.

Most boxes now do not have power available out of the USB, there are still some older boxes out there which do (but rare now).
    I used a spare 3pin to USB transformer which came with a (now defunct) phone, these are also available in many sites for £2/3.
    No need to worry to much about which transformer, the WiFi bridge operates on a range of 5 - 15 volts

Cheers!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fulwell wrote: »
    It does on my 3 year old Amstrad HD box.

But it might not continue to do so, various boxes used to, but were disabled in later updates - it's not something you can rely on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But it might not continue to do so, various boxes used to, but were disabled in later updates - it's not something you can rely on.

Thanks for the info Nigel.

Can you advise (or speculate) on the reason why Sky would want to disable the USB port - doesn't seem to make any sense to me?
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member

Can you advise (or speculate) on the reason why Sky would want to disable the USB port - doesn't seem to make any sense to me?

And while you're at it give a good reason why 5.1 sound isn't transmitted via the HDMI socket.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Because it's not used - it was originally added for the introduction of a portable Sky Player, so you could copy programmes to it - but DRM issues killed the project, and the USB port was never used for anything. The fact that power was accidentally enabled on some boxes was an oversight by the developers.

As for no 5.1 via HDMI?, the Sky HD box predates it - there was nothing at the time that could do it, so it obviously wasn't considered of any importance.

Even now ARC and 5.1 over HDMI are far from universal.

There have been some suggestions that the non-PVR HD box (as it's a newer design) 'may' have the capability though?.
  • Options
    JRNSUFF99JRNSUFF99 Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want to buy the Vonets VAP11G WIFI Bridge but will need a power supply as the Sky box won't power by USB. Can someone point me in the direction of what I need on ebay or similar?

Thanks
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There have been some suggestions that the non-PVR HD box (as it's a newer design) 'may' have the capability though?.

No "may" about it, it certainly does support 5.1 audio over HDMI. I have one of these boxes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    No "may" about it, it certainly does support 5.1 audio over HDMI. I have one of these boxes.

Nice to have it confirmed - I've no personal experience of it - mainly because the boxes are 'multi-room only' and it's pointless selling multi-room as you make no money on it.
  • Options
    user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »

IIRC it's the DRX595 that does DD5.1 over HDMI.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »
    IIRC it's the DRX595 that does DD5.1 over HDMI.

yes and that's the non-PVR HD box, which is what i referred to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JRNSUFF99 wrote: »
    I want to buy the Vonets VAP11G WIFI Bridge but will need a power supply as the Sky box won't power by USB. Can someone point me in the direction of what I need on ebay or similar?

Thanks

Here is one example (there are thousands of others out there)
    http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/-/3139/2406/-/13417253/Groov-e-USB-iPod-iPhone-UK-Mains-Power-Charger-Adapter/Product.html