Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Friday Night Lights

Old 21-02-2012, 22:14
DFI
Forum Member

Is no one watching this on Sky Atlantic? It's sensational stuff, one of the most impressive drama series I've seen in years.

Don't worry if you know nothing about American Football....you don't need to. The ensemble cast, the story lines and the acting are right out of the top drawer.

A gazillion times better than Luck without any of the star names
DFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 21-02-2012, 22:17
Gene the Cow
Forum Member

Got Season 1 for christmas, finished Season 5 a fortnight ago.

Great, great show
Gene the Cow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 07:48
BrunoStreete
Inactive Member

I agree, one of the best dramas I've ever watched. And you definitely don't need to know anything about American Football.
BrunoStreete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 07:56
Bester
Forum Member

Imported the DVDs as the series was released in the States.

Easily one of my favourite series of the past decade and I'm not big into football by any stretch of the imagination.

Just awesome......
Bester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 11:20
whedon247
Forum Member

Is no one watching this on Sky Atlantic? It's sensational stuff, one of the most impressive drama series I've seen in years.

Don't worry if you know nothing about American Football....you don't need to. The ensemble cast, the story lines and the acting are right out of the top drawer.

A gazillion times better than Luck without any of the star names
oh it gets better still
whedon247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 11:48
Coen
Forum Member

I've also been working my way through the boxsets for some time, got season 1 in the UK last year and once I'd finished that I ended up getting the rest imported from the french Amazon site.

So far am up to end of season 4 and it really is a brilliant show. Very highly recommended (although I'm a bit of a fan of american football anyway, but as others have said I don't think that's really necessary.)
Coen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 15:18
alternate
Forum Member

So much hype, can't but stick with it, but after two episodes I have yet to see the genius. Seems like a competent melodrama, a bit soapy, little more.
alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 16:46
BigPoppa
Forum Member

Alternate...I'm with you at the mo, I'm a fan of American Football but so far this is very 90210 for me, I hope it gets better, still gonna give it a chance!
BigPoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 16:52
jd02
Forum Member

I've just watched the first 2 episodes for the first time, very good. The ending of the second episode really left me wanting more! Can't wait until next week!
jd02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 17:03
DFI
Forum Member

One of the things that makes it real is that it's filmed in real locations, not a sound stage in sight, and the actors are free to move around without any pre-determined blocking for camera shots. The director has said to the actors, "you go where you need to be for the scene and the cameras will find you".I sense there's some element of ad lib in the dialogue too, and the whole effect is to give the series more of a documentary feel.
Old 27-02-2012, 13:28
Flannerz
Forum Member

I've seen the first two episodes and really enjoyed them. Looking forward to the rest of the series
Flannerz is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 18:24
RedSnapper
Forum Member

Very very good - enjoying it a lot so far.

Seem to remember a film a few years ago that pretty much mirrored the first episode ?
RedSnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 18:53
DFI
Forum Member

Very very good - enjoying it a lot so far.

Seem to remember a film a few years ago that pretty much mirrored the first episode ?
The original book was made into a film in 2004 (with the coach played by Billy Bob Thornton) before it was also then made into a TV series. The original book was based around following a real college football team through a whole season and documenting what happens, although the film wasn't a documentary, and there were some variances between the factual events and how things were depicted in the original film.
Old 27-02-2012, 19:21
MoreTears
Forum Member

The original book was made into a film in 2004 (with the coach played by Billy Bob Thornton) before it was also then made into a TV series. The original book was based around following a real college football team through a whole season and documenting what happens, although the film wasn't a documentary, and there were some variances between the factual events and how things were depicted in the original film.
You mean high school football team.
MoreTears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:43
Miss-Fitz
Forum Member

really enjoying this! surprised there isn't more forum chatter about it! perhaps I missed a thread??

Think the plot is great this far, feel so sorry for the coach, I'd be hopping mad if people told me how to do my job!!!

The girlfriend drives me MAD! Lana and her annoying voice!
Miss-Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 15:22
cf80
Forum Member

So much hype, can't but stick with it, but after two episodes I have yet to see the genius. Seems like a competent melodrama, a bit soapy, little more.
Do stick with it!!! The first few episodes of Season 1 are quite mixed and I had the same view as yourself when I first started watching. I kept going though because a friend had been raving about the show for ages. So glad I did, as it is a fantastic show!!!
cf80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 11:50
shelleyj89
Forum Member

Really enjoying this. I remember hearing about it when it was on in America, didn't realise there'd been five seasons though! Hopefully Sky Antlantic will be showing them all back-to-back?
shelleyj89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 12:42
MoreTears
Forum Member

Really enjoying this. I remember hearing about it when it was on in America, didn't realise there'd been five seasons though! Hopefully Sky Antlantic will be showing them all back-to-back?
I heard that Sky Atlantic only bought the first two seasons. Very likely they wanted to see if they would get a decent audience for the show before committing to buying more seasons.
MoreTears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 13:53
alternate
Forum Member

Still watching. Still an average teen soap. Reminds me of One Tree Hill.
Old 14-03-2012, 15:33
The_abbott
Forum Member

Still watching. Still an average teen soap. Reminds me of One Tree Hill.
stick with it. It helped that I watched Season 1 on DVD so I could watch at my own pace and the show speeds up pace.
The_abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 20:36
alternate
Forum Member

stick with it. It helped that I watched Season 1 on DVD so I could watch at my own pace and the show speeds up pace.
Likely I will as it is okay, just not living up to all the hype just yet.
Old 15-03-2012, 15:27
shelleyj89
Forum Member

I heard that Sky Atlantic only bought the first two seasons. Very likely they wanted to see if they would get a decent audience for the show before committing to buying more seasons.
That'll do for me to start with. Just read that it was originally shown on ITV4 a few years ago? I didn't realise that.
shelleyj89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 11:33
whedon247
Forum Member

That'll do for me to start with. Just read that it was originally shown on ITV4 a few years ago? I didn't realise that.
yeah head to head with champions league football...doh!

every episode is amazing,only wannabe critics could mark this show down,watch and enjoy!
whedon247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 18:43
sandblast
Forum Member

They are showing the first 4 episodes of this tonight starting around 1 am, so i might Sky+ it & give this a chance. Definately looks interesting even though i can't stand American Football.
sandblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 13:10
BrunoStreete
Inactive Member

They are showing the first 4 episodes of this tonight starting around 1 am, so i might Sky+ it & give this a chance. Definately looks interesting even though i can't stand American Football.
You don't need to like American Football, it's my wifes favourite ever show and she wouldn't have a clue when it comes to American Football.
BrunoStreete is offline   Reply With Quote