Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

mp3 bit rate

Old 28-02-2012, 17:15
steve75
Forum Member

I have just put a 16gig card into my galaxy mini. I am now transferring a selection of cds onto my phone. The default bit rate is 128kb when ripping the discs to my pc but is it worth selecting a higher rate. Will this mean better quality sound?
steve75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 28-02-2012, 17:29
wavejockglw
Forum Member

128Kbs is OK for headphone listening and is the same as most UK Digital Radio services. Its fine for popular music but 160 or 192Kbs might be more suitable for Classical music where detail is important. 128Kbs will allow lots more on a flash drive so I'd go with it.
wavejockglw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 20:42
alanwarwic
Forum Member

Early on I did a few in 128K but luckily I quickly settled at using 192K

It really depends on whether you 'can be bothered' and how many CD's you have.
alanwarwic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 21:25
Thine Wonk
Forum Member

128Kbs is OK for headphone listening and is the same as most UK Digital Radio services. Its fine for popular music but 160 or 192Kbs might be more suitable for Classical music where detail is important. 128Kbs will allow lots more on a flash drive so I'd go with it.
WRONG, DAB digital radio is MP2 technology, so it's not the same as 128Kbps MP3. Layer 3 introduces several encoding enhancements which provide better encoding quality. Also a lot of stations were 112Kbps last time I looked.

OP if you have the option to covert to AAC+ first and still maintain the 128Kbps you would have amazing quality tracks with the same amount of storage space.

The AAC codec is made by Orban, the makers of high end audio processors and it's a brilliant codec that has very good bass reproduction and really good sound that beats MP3 hands down when it comes to bitrates you get something like double the perceivable audio quality for the same bit rate.

Android should support AAC+ just fine, you could even drop it down to 96Kbps and it would still sound much better than 128Kbps MP3.
Thine Wonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 22:00
Thine Wonk
Forum Member

More on AAC+ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance...ments_over_MP3
Old 28-02-2012, 23:35
simmy
Forum Member

I'm not an audiophile but 128kbps is not good enough, 192kbps is my preference for a decent balance between sound quality & file size. 128kbps sounds ok at first but you will soon notice the difference (I especially notice it with cymbals on drums it really sounds tinny)
simmy is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 23:58
neo_wales
Forum Member

WRONG, DAB digital radio is MP2 technology, so it's not the same as 128Kbps MP3. Layer 3 introduces several encoding enhancements which provide better encoding quality. Also a lot of stations were 112Kbps last time I looked.

OP if you have the option to covert to AAC+ first and still maintain the 128Kbps you would have amazing quality tracks with the same amount of storage space.

The AAC codec is made by Orban, the makers of high end audio processors and it's a brilliant codec that has very good bass reproduction and really good sound that beats MP3 hands down when it comes to bitrates you get something like double the perceivable audio quality for the same bit rate.

Android should support AAC+ just fine, you could even drop it down to 96Kbps and it would still sound much better than 128Kbps MP3.
No need to shout and be so curt to get your point across.
neo_wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 08:31
steve75
Forum Member

Some interesting responses there. I did actually rip some at 320kb and they do sound clearer than the 128. However i see most of you recommend 192. Am i just wasting space ripping at 320. As for converting to acc this is something i will look into. At the moment the disks are ripping to my hardrive via windows media player so will have to look further into the options it gives.
steve75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 08:45
chrisjr
Forum Member

What bitrate you use depends on how serious you are about audio quality. Which is why I never use an mp3 player.

So basically rip at whatever bitrate sounds best to you, it's your ears that are going to be assaulted by the results so only you can decide. I've heard many an audio system that it's owner declares to be the dog's dangly bits that is producing horrendous distortion and generally sounds dreadful so go by your own ears not what I or anyone else says.

Also do not consider even for one moment converting the mp3 rips into AAC or any other format. Doing that will only degrade the sound quality. So if you do decide to use a different format always rip direct from the source CD all over again. That is the only way to ensure good sound quality, even if it is a much bigger pain in the wotsits that way.
chrisjr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 11:09
Mark in Essex
Forum Member

I would say no if it's just MP3, but if it's AAC (default iTunes format) then I would say it's ok.

I started copying all my CD's at 192, but then found that it was not MP3 as default, so I did some tests on a good quality system, my car stereo (a good one with good speakers) and also on my iPod and could not notice the difference between 128 and 192 on AAC files.
Mark in Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 11:42
flagpole
Inactive Member

I did a comparison not so long ago
http://nigelcoldwell.co.uk/audio/

i did MP3 in various bit rates, (as well as WMA, AAC, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC & WAV.) you could try downloading them at the different rates and seeing what is the best quality for you and your setup. it's a very personal thing.

I'd still stick with MP3 simply because everything can play it.

the biggest conclusion i reached was how much better variable bitrate MP3 was over constant bitrate. iTunes does not support this, presumably because they don't want you using it. cheeky really.

It's worth mentioning that if you have 16GB of storage at 128kbps this is roughly 11 days of continuous music or 250 albums. unless that is what you want then it might be worth ripping higher anyway.

over 128kbps you can't hear really hear the MP3 artefacts, it's more about if you compare it to higher bitrates you notice that there are bits missing.

the normal sequence is to rip to a lossless format, so you only have to rip once, say you want to play your music on a home media player with lots of storage, and then to transcode it if you want it for say a portable device.
flagpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 19:50
Thine Wonk
Forum Member

No need to shout and be so curt to get your point across.
Apologies, it was more to do with that particular poster posting wrong information again.
Old 01-03-2012, 00:12
alanwarwic
Forum Member

There was no reference to DAB so I saw no wish to be Pedantic.
alanwarwic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:13
flagpole
Inactive Member

iPlayer for radio one uses this if anyone is interested:
Audio
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format version : Version 4
Format profile : LC
Bit rate mode : Variable / Variable
Minimum bit rate : 130 Kbps