Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Marvel's The Avengers (26/04/2012)

View Poll Results: What did you think of The Avengers?
Epic 148 45.40%
Excellent 118 36.20%
Good 37 11.35%
Average 13 3.99%
Poor 10 3.07%
Voters: 326. You can't vote on this poll right now - are you signed in?

Old 29-02-2012, 12:37
Jay Seery
Community Manager

Digital Spy Staff

I searched through the Movies forum and couldn't find a general discussion/round-up thread for The Avengers news (now titled 'Avengers Assemble' in the UK!) so thought I'd create one myself.

So what are our hopes for the movie? Which superhero are we most looking forward to seeing in action? Discuss here!

Out of all of the previews released thus far, the Super Bowl trailer has definitely been my favourite. Which teasers have been yours?
Jay Seery is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 29-02-2012, 12:58
Residents Fan
Forum Member

I'm hoping it will be a enjoyable summer blockbuster. Though we still have no
idea which comic villains Loki's "army" will be made up of (Skrulls? Frost Giants? Kree? Muspelheim
demons? Walter the Softy and his gang? ).
Residents Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 14:07
Steve5424
Forum Member

I am really hoping its good, although the silly name change has actually put me off a bit.
Steve5424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 14:08
mialicious
Forum Member

Im Not liking captain americas new costume, looks a bit dodgy from what ive seen, i think they should have kept it like it was in his film.
mialicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 15:11
not_the_doctor
Forum Member

Wow, that new Avengers poster is one of the worst Photoshop jobs I've ever seen. Most of the characters are lit differently, and Captain America appears to have grown to Giant Man proportions.
not_the_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 15:44
CJClarke
Forum Member

I searched through the Movies forum and couldn't find a general discussion/round-up thread for The Avengers news (now titled 'Avengers Assemble' in the UK!) so thought I'd create one myself.
Please tell me you're joking about the title change? If they've really changed the title to "Avengers Assemble" then that's one of the worst title changes i've ever seen. It doesn't even really make sense without a comma between the words...

What was wrong with 'The Avengers'? That sounds infinitely better!
CJClarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 16:18
Johnny Clay
Forum Member

Avengers Assemble? Really?

If it's a dud you can just see the headlines, can't you (Avengers a shambles, etc).

btw - just seen that new poster - Jesus wept.

Last edited by Johnny Clay : 29-02-2012 at 16:22. Reason: photoshop horror
Johnny Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 16:40
sepmix
Forum Member

It was renamed so people wouldn't mix it up with the 60s TV series, also been told it's the group's catchphrase, but I agree it's an awful name for the film.
sepmix is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 17:12
Jay Seery
Community Manager

Digital Spy Staff

Agree re: the UK name - it sounds pretty awful.

Here's the newest (just released) trailer:

There looks to be quite a bit of reused footage from the previous trailers but the unseen bits looks pretty awesome. Thoughts?

Have updated the opening post with this trailer too, btw. Feel free to ask if anyone wants anything added.
Jay Seery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 17:20
bad-beat
Forum Member

Yeah, it's a shame about the name change but every time I've spoken about this film to somebody unfamiliar with the comics, they always think I'm talking about the '60s TV series; it's not too surprising they have altered the name.

Still all kinds of excited for this film. It's going to be awesome!
bad-beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 17:20
killthedirector
Forum Member

UK name is awful. Can't believe that the studios would think people will get it mixed up with the 60's show and movie.

The Avengers Initiative sounds better than assemble if they have to change the title.

Looks Like Robert Downey Jnr will be getting the best lines in the movie. hoped they saved some and not put them all in the trailers.
killthedirector is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 17:34
NinjyBear
Forum Member

Stupid name, cool trailer.

Really wish they hadn't replaced Ed Norton.
NinjyBear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 17:43
Weigh-Man
Forum Member

Stupid name, cool trailer.

Why, he was bloody awful!
Weigh-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 17:50
bob_fossil
Forum Member

Me too! Although it'll be interesting to see what Ruffalo brings to the table. He's been great in the movies of his I've seen.
bob_fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 18:07
killthedirector
Forum Member

if only bill bixby were still alive
killthedirector is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 19:48
Kal_El
Forum Member

Wasn't bothered, but the new trailer has me foaming! It looks absolutely awesome. My favourite thing? The new Hulk. Steals the trailer for me personally.

Can't wait.
Kal_El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 20:05
not_the_doctor
Forum Member

Why, he was bloody awful!
Yeah, that was a case of "don't make Hulk calm. You wouldn't like him when he's calm".
not_the_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 21:37
CJClarke
Forum Member

UK name is awful. Can't believe that the studios would think people will get it mixed up with the 60's show and movie.

The Avengers Initiative sounds better than assemble if they have to change the title.
Couldn't they have just called it "Marvel's The Avengers" with the "Marvel" part being on the poster in small writing just above the main title? That would have been far better/neater and more in line with what the film is called on the rest of the planet...plus it wouldn't have looked as daft on my Blu Ray shelf

I can't believe that anyone would be able to get the film confused with a show from the 1960s, it's quite obvious from the trailers and posters what kind of film it is.
CJClarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 21:42
NinjyBear
Forum Member

Because I post my opinions and not other peoples.
NinjyBear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 22:05
mr_me
Forum Member

Please tell me they haven't changed the title in the UK. Please please please.

That awful title is enough to make me buy the Region 1 bluray when it's released. "Avengers Assemble"? WTF??
mr_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 22:06
Motthus
Forum Member

The new trailer does look great although I don't like the new name either.I think most people will still end up calling it The Avengers despite the name change for the UK!

I thought they tried to get Edward Norton back for The Avengers but he wouldn't do it so they had to recast the part!
Motthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 22:35
Residents Fan
Forum Member

Please tell me they haven't changed the title in the UK. Please please please.

That awful title is enough to make me buy the Region 1 bluray when it's released. "Avengers Assemble"? WTF??
Not the first time this has happened- witness the
American comic "Steed and Mrs. Peel" (because
Marvel didn't want them to print a US comic
called "The Avengers").
Residents Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 22:46
Fizzbin
Forum Member

It is a stupid name for the UK.

If they must change it, they could have taken their cue from the trailer and called it Avengers Initiative.
Fizzbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 23:21
deadpool v1
Forum Member

Really not fussed on Mark Ruffalo but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt ,

but what I'm really not liking if the way the Hulk looks, he looks more cartoony like Ang Lee's Hulk rather than the Version from The Incredible Hulk (2008) which I thought was far superior
deadpool v1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:33
lordo350
Forum Member

The new trailer does look great although I don't like the new name either.I think most people will still end up calling it The Avengers despite the name change for the UK!

I thought they tried to get Edward Norton back for The Avengers but he wouldn't do it so they had to recast the part!
Norton has a bad rep in Hollywood. I remember Anthony Hopkins saying he was a prick to work with on set of Red Dragon, yet I do rate him as an actor. He did want to return, but negotiations broke down with Marvel. It certainly would have flown a hell of a lot better with Norton returning as Hulk, especially as Hulk is the film that is the least mentioned in the Marvel CU, and the only one that isn't getting its own sequel (though another worry of mine is after the spectacle of the Avengers, won't seeing Iron Man, Thor and Cap A alone again rather anticlimatic? Unless they use it to introduce Ant Man etc).That said, Ruffalo is looking good in the part.
But seriously. Who the hell is going to see a poster for the Avengers, with Iron Man shooting things, Thor blasting things, Cap A with his shield, Black Widow looking hot (dayum does SJ look hot in this movie) Hawkeye with his bow and Samuel L Jackson looking serious, and think "oh, they've made a movie of a show that was on back in the 60s." The name change seems pointless and actually sucks. The Avengers sounds much better. One wonders what they were smoking when they made this decision.
One word for the trailer: awesome. I think I'm even more excited for this than TDKR now!!
lordo350 is offline   Reply With Quote