Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Car Trouble - Doesn't seem to want to go into 3rd gear

Old 29-02-2012, 10:38
elliecat
Forum Member

For the last couple of months I have been having problems getting my 54 reg punto into 3rd gear. I intially thought it was just me not pushing the clutch down hard enough and so the gears were grinding, I also put it down to driving my partner's new Astra(such a nice car to drive) whilst my car was off the road late last year and just not being used to my car at first. It didn't happen all the time which is why I thought it was just me. Now though it seems to have got worse and happens almost every time and it seems to be popping out of 3rd gear, this morning it went in to 3rd gear a couple of times and seemed to stay however more often than not it grinds or pops out. I ended up this morning jumping from 2nd to 4th. All other gears seem to be fine.

I can get the gears in fine without pressing the clutch when the engine is off. I'm not very good with cars so I don't know whether that's anything of importance. I had a gear cable snap on me last year which got fixed as well.

Does anyone know what the problem may be and roughly how much it will cost me to get fixed? I'm going to try and take it to a garage on Friday anyway. I will add that I know absolutely nothing about cars except where to put the usual water, oil etc so nothing too technical please.
elliecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 29-02-2012, 10:41
Hugh Jboobs
Forum Member

It sounds like your flux capacitor is playing up. They are pretty difficult to fix, so often garages simply put a new one in. Too time consuming and expensive to fix usually.

Depending on what sort of garage you go to, you're looking at around 100 upwards.
Hugh Jboobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 10:43
susie-4964
Forum Member

Years ago, the OH had an old mini, and first and third gears didn't work. He couldn't afford to get the gearbox fixed, so just went around on second and fourth. So long as he avoided really steep hills, it worked pretty well!
susie-4964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 10:58
trphil
Forum Member

Maybe the syncromesh on that gear is knackered. Is it worse changing down into 3rd rather than up into 3rd? Does it engage nicely if you double de-clutch?
trphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 11:14
Cruachan
Forum Member

Maybe the syncromesh on that gear is knackered. Is it worse changing down into 3rd rather than up into 3rd? Does it engage nicely if you double de-clutch?
Cue questions from 'youngsters' about what is double de-clutching.
Cruachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 12:02
elliecat
Forum Member

Thanks everyone

No I have no problens when I change down it's only changing up that I have the problem. Will try doing double de-clutch on my way home this afternoon. I am really hoping it won't cost the earth to fix
Old 29-02-2012, 12:12
Justabloke
Forum Member

I would say that its far more likely to be a dodgy clutch than anything more serious... my '05 punto was having similar issues. Had it checked by my tame garage man and he replaced the clutch and all was good with the world and my gear changes have returned to their former glory and slickness.
Justabloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 12:13
trphil
Forum Member

Thanks everyone

No I have no problens when I change down it's only changing up that I have the problem. Will try doing double de-clutch on my way home this afternoon. I am really hoping it won't cost the earth to fix
To be honest, I don't think it's going to be economically viable to fix it as whatever it is that's wrong is probably going to need a complete rebuild of the gearbox. The cheapest (least expensive) way will be to put in a whole secondhand gearbox but of course you have no guarantee that it won't be knackered too and you won't really know until it's in the car. If I were you I'd live with it and change your driving style accordingly...
Old 29-02-2012, 12:15
trphil
Forum Member

I would say that its far more likely to be a dodgy clutch than anything more serious... my '05 punto was having similar issues. Had it checked by my tame garage man and he replaced the clutch and all was good with the world and my gear changes have returned to their former glory and slickness.
I'd be surprised if a clutch problem would only affect a single gear but as you have the same car who knows? I hope for the OP's sake you're right...
Old 29-02-2012, 12:43
Justabloke
Forum Member

I'd be surprised if a clutch problem would only affect a single gear but as you have the same car who knows? I hope for the OP's sake you're right...
mine was exhibiting exactly the same symptoms... difficult to engage one gear. Its not a worn pressure plate but rather missing or broken teeth on the thrust plate. So once the gear is engaged it behaves normally, which is to say there is no slipping as there would be if it were the pressure plate.
Justabloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 12:51
Waj_100
Forum Member

These Puntos have a problem with the hydraulic clutch slave cylinders.

They leak and cause poor gear selection.

OP, where is your biting point? If it is near to the floor then the cylinder may be the problem.

The clutch cylinder is located on top of the gearbox at the passenger's side, get someone to peel back the rubber on the cylinder and look for fluid leaking out, also check the clutch fluid tank level.

It's possible there may be a problem with gear cable adjustment, or much more serious, the third gear synchromesh has failed, meaning another gearbox is required (can be fixed, but the cost might be more than another gearbox).

I have had clutch pressure plate problems with these Puntos, but the first and reverse gears were the ones that were poor to select.
Waj_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 13:28
smudges dad
Forum Member

It sounds like your flux capacitor is playing up. They are pretty difficult to fix, so often garages simply put a new one in. Too time consuming and expensive to fix usually.

Depending on what sort of garage you go to, you're looking at around 100 upwards.
You need to reverse the polarity of the neutron flow
smudges dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 15:21
c4rv
Forum Member

Sadly I don't think this is going to be cheap. It does sound like a gearbox problem, if its working on the down change but not on up change then could be syncromesh which you can test if you can double de-clutch.
c4rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 16:23
Hugh Jboobs
Forum Member

You need to reverse the polarity of the neutron flow
Any decent garage would try that at first as it's a pretty simple job. More often than not though, it doesn't work and a new one is required.
Hugh Jboobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 19:24
mrcynical
Forum Member

I would burn it out and report it stolen. Hey presto - nice new car.

But that's just me.
mrcynical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 20:12
Bedsit Bob
Forum Member

If it is a synchro failure, you can live with that, by double de-clutching.

I ran a car for nearly 2 years, with a knackered synchro on 2nd.
Bedsit Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 21:19
Psychosis
Forum Member

Will a car with a missing gear/gear that can't be engaged pass its MOT? I'm surprised by how many are saying they've done it for years.
Psychosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 22:28
trphil
Forum Member

Will a car with a missing gear/gear that can't be engaged pass its MOT? I'm surprised by how many are saying they've done it for years.
Of course it can, but a missing synchromesh doesn't stop a gear from being engaged anyway. Plenty of cars even as recent as the 60s had crash gearboxes and synchromesh on 1st is fairly recent. With practise (preferably not in your own car) clutchless changes can be achieved easily and smoothly.
Old 29-02-2012, 22:31
COAX
Forum Member

Oh god they told me on the MOT that the 'flux capacitor' had seen better days! Difficult to fix and 100 upwards!
COAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 22:56
Cruachan
Forum Member

These Puntos have a problem with the hydraulic clutch slave cylinders.

They leak and cause poor gear selection.

OP, where is your biting point? If it is near to the floor then the cylinder may be the problem.

The clutch cylinder is located on top of the gearbox at the passenger's side, get someone to peel back the rubber on the cylinder and look for fluid leaking out, also check the clutch fluid tank level.

It's possible there may be a problem with gear cable adjustment, or much more serious, the third gear synchromesh has failed, meaning another gearbox is required (can be fixed, but the cost might be more than another gearbox).

I have had clutch pressure plate problems with these Puntos, but the first and reverse gears were the ones that were poor to select.
I'd just focus on this post, OP.
Cruachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:18
elliecat
Forum Member

thanks again everyone, all these have been quite helpful.

I have just spoken to the local fiat garage and they have said that it sounds like the synchro and the hub need replacing and have quoted 700, just spoken to my brother (he knows a bit more about cars than me) and he thinks it will be cheaper just to replace the gear box and has given me the number of the garage he uses so I am going to see if I can get them to have a look at it tomorrow and see how things go from there.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:24
DaisyBumbleroot
Forum Member

I had a citroen AX and so did 3 of my friends and with all 4 cars we had this problem at some point, it was the link cable, it cost 60 odd quid about 10 years ago to fix. Not saying that what is wrong with your car, but it might be.
DaisyBumbleroot is offline   Reply With Quote