Wifi bridge, any chance of getting power out of the USB port on my sky hd box?

Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So at the moment I've linked up my sky to a wifi bridge and it works like a dream. Except I have no power from the sky USB port.
Is there a way to get power from it?

Cheers :)

Comments

• user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The power was on for some older boxes but if you have no power then it can only be switched on by Sky in a software update and as Sky have no use for USB at the moment you'll need to get power from elsewhere :(
  • Sky_TechSky_Tech Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    My Sky+ HD box USB's are on. I know from powering the LED Christmas Tree from it. Though the sockets were dead on my old Sky+ box.
  • dcopparddcoppard Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    Seems to be a bit hit or miss whether its on or not. My 1tb box isn't because I've tried charging my mobile phone and its not working.
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky_Tech wrote: »
    My Sky+ HD box USB's are on. I know from powering the LED Christmas Tree from it. Though the sockets were dead on my old Sky+ box.

If they are on they are on if they are off they are off you cannot change the situation yourself as there is no means of doing it without a software change.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    You could always try and bodge getting your power via the RF2 socket, once enabled in the installer menu...only if you know what you're doing of course ;)
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,506
    Forum Member
    You could always try and bodge getting your power via the RF2 socket, once enabled in the installer menu...only if you know what you're doing of course ;)

Which is also 9V, not 5V, and only low current - so very unlikley to be of any use (even with the required electronics to convert it to 5V).
  • AVTECHAVTECH Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or one with power throughput (does not tie up a 13A socket)
    for example :- edit ...having trouble with the link Try ARGOS site, catalogue no 936/8640
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    anniebrion wrote: »
    If they are on they are on if they are off they are off you cannot change the situation yourself as there is no means of doing it without a software change.

The front usb on my Thompson (4E3004?) is certainly on.

I use it to power my pure highway (no longer required in the car) to send DAB stations to the FM radios around the house!;)
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CRTHD wrote: »
    The front usb on my Thompson (4E3004?) is certainly on.

I use it to power my pure highway (no longer required in the car) to send DAB stations to the FM radios around the house!;)

When I had my Thomson I used the USBs to power a couple of laptop fans to keep the box cool as it was in a glass fronted cupboard.

Don't work on my Amstrad, so on an open shelf now.
  • SchnableSchnable Posts: 1,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damn this thread! You have now got me testing my USB sockets for absolutely no reason as I don't need them for anything. :D

I didn't even know I had a front USB socket until now!

Anyway, on my Pace Sky+HD box (an old one) both front and back sockets have power!
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,506
    Forum Member
    Schnable wrote: »
    Anyway, on my Pace Sky+HD box (an old one) both front and back sockets have power!

At the moment! :p

They often get turned off in a later software update,