Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Ricky Gervais new comedy- Derek

Old 27-03-2014, 13:37
Ethel_Fred
Forum Member

Well what a surprise, take a weekly half hour programme on BBC2, make it a monthly show on BBC4 and express shock when it loses 80℅ of it's audience
Ethel_Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 27-03-2014, 14:04
mossy2103
Forum Member

Or is there another reason?

The BBC's long-running arts programme The Review Show is being axed, with its last edition due to air this weekend.

The panel show, currently presented by Martha Kearney and Kirsty Wark, has been on air for more than 20 years in different formats but was moved from BBC Two to BBC Four last year.

Earlier this week, director general Tony Hall pledged to put culture "at the very heart" of the BBC.

A spokesperson confirmed this Sunday's programme will be its last.

"The series has made a valuable contribution over many years but as outlined this week, the BBC has ambitious plans for arts on TV, radio and online," said a statement.

"Review will continue to have a place across the BBC alongside more topical arts coverage."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26771323
mossy2103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 14:08
Tassium
Forum Member

The BBC will do "the arts" but it I feel it will be a different type of arts.

More "accessible", i.e. stupid.

So those Dr Who concerts will seem high-brow in a few years time...
Tassium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 14:09
ohglobbits
Forum Member

Culture at 'the very heart' of the BBC sounds a bit like when John Major said britain should be at 'the heart' of Europe.

Political newspeak, expect the opposite.
ohglobbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 14:14
Groundhogal
Forum Member

Used to watch that when when it was part of friday's Newsnight and Mark Lawson was the presenter and the original unholy triumvirate of Tony Parsons, Alison Pierson and Tom Paulin.
Groundhogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 14:19
Lenitive
Forum Member

Used to watch that when when it was part of friday's Newsnight and Mark Lawson was the presenter and the original unholy triumvirate of Tony Parsons, Alison Pierson and Tom Paulin.
Them were the days. Really sad about this. I wonder if the Edinburgh Festival coverage will be slimmed as a result?
Lenitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 14:21
Straker
Forum Member

Well what a surprise, take a weekly half hour programme on BBC2, make it a monthly show on BBC4 and express shock when it loses 80℅ of it's audience
Inevitable. IIRC I said asmuch at the time.

And if we track back the lineage we used to have a half-hour weekday arts/culture programme with The Late Show on BBC2 after Newsnight (which is what spawned The Review Show).

The new heads of arts programming was on The Media Show yesterday (convenient how this announcement came after that...) and despite being pushed he point-blank refused to discuss the budget for Yentob`s Imagine. I "imagine" it`s a bloody fortune and sucks up money that could have gone to other shows such as Review!
Straker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 14:29
CAMERA OBSCURA
Forum Member

A daft move taking it from its weekly slot in the first place. I hope there will be a suitable replacement.

The BBC will do "the arts" but it I feel it will be a different type of arts.

More "accessible", i.e. stupid.

So those Dr Who concerts will seem high-brow in a few years time...
More soundbites from Tassium.

Did you not read the links provided for you yesterday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26728704

Performances from Glyndebourne and Shakespeare's Globe will also be aired.
the team behind The Hollow Crown will reunite to create filmed versions of Shakespeare's Henry VI and Richard III plays.
The Story of Women and Art as well as news coverage celebrating the winners of the Man Booker and Riba Stirling architecture prizes.
A celebration of Museums at Night, an after-hours festival involving more than 500 museums, galleries and heritage sites
A relaunch for The Space, the BBC's collaboration with Arts Council England
"Major" coverage of the Edinburgh Festivals, including a performance every day online
An "online partnership" with the Royal Academy in London focusing on its 2014 summer exhibition
Programmes planned include A Knight at the Barbican, a BBC Four evening dedicated to the work of English conductor Sir Simon Rattle, and Dialogues, a new drama strand for BBC Four focusing on just two characters.
There will also be a "new take" on Civilisation, the landmark 13-part series about the history of western art that originally aired on BBC Two in 1969, and a two-part Imagine documentary on BBC One on US novelist Philip Roth

Other programmes include an animated film by War Horse author Michael Morpurgo and a Northern Ballet version of Three Little Pigs for the CBeebies channel
CAMERA OBSCURA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 15:16
ffa1
Forum Member

Yeah. I used to like it when Germaine Greer was on. Like Paulin she hated everything!
ffa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 15:18
ffa1
Forum Member

deleted
ffa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 15:40
Blueju
Forum Member

What a pity the BBC cant revive the style of the old panel maybe with a twist for a similar arts orientated programme. Even if they irritated on occasion, the likes of Parsons, Bonnie Greer, Tom Paulin and Germaine Greer were never short of something interesting to say...especially when they disagreed !
Blueju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 16:32
striing
Forum Member

Yes I watched it all the time when it was in that slot. I enjoyed the mix of seeing them review things I had seen and learning about things that were on that I might not have chosen to see myself.

The BBC seems to be trashing the arts at the moment. I'm still furious that the Sunday drama slot on Radio 3 has been moved too late to listen and get up for work on Monday. And now Hamlet (which in the past would have undoubtedly been in the 7.30/8pm Sunday slot) is on in chopped up parts after The Archers in the middle of the afternoon when anyone who is working also cannot listen. Maybe the BBC just wants pensioners to listen to their output.
striing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 16:34
TCD1975
Forum Member

Gutted. I used to really like this when it was Newsnight Review.

A fairly short list of arts programming, to be shown over the coming year, does not excuse the axing of BBCs only decent arts review show.
TCD1975 is offline   Reply With Quote