Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Ricky Gervais new comedy- Derek

Old 13-02-2013, 22:34
Ollie_h19
Forum Member

Sat up as soon as Dougie came in. Love his rants. He tells it like it is.

I thought Tom talking to Kev might be another "**** off Finchy" moment.
Ollie_h19 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
performingmonk
Forum Member

The daughter character is so over the top it doesnt seem true anyone would behave like that
Sadly that's not the case...
performingmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
peteblue
Forum Member

Another good episode. Still don't like Kev, he spoils it for me. , Very sad when the old lady died. Love Karl's rant at the end, he steals the show every week.
peteblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 22:37
dodrade
Forum Member

I still keep watching even though its so sentimental and mawkish it makes Chaplin look restrained.
dodrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 22:39
doom&gloom
Inactive Member

Pretty much the same as last week really, for me it just doesn't work, there's not enough material and it's not going anywhere.
doom&gloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 22:39
theia
Forum Member

You are so right!
theia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 22:40
downtonfan
Forum Member

Pretty much the same as last week really, for me it just doesn't work, there's not enough material and it's not going anywhere.
Hopefully you will not bother watching next week then.

Karl Pilkington steals the show again.
downtonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 22:44
Ollie_h19
Forum Member

This one had everything. The laugh-out-loud frog scene. A hate figure in the fat daughter. The sadness of a death (seeing Derek get upset was awful), a narrative in Hannah's relationship, and a slight confrontation for Kev who almost admitted he wasnt really getting any.
Old 13-02-2013, 22:52
indie.star
Forum Member

Gonna have to watch it on 4OD as I messed up the timings. I'm not used to having this many programmes to watch in a week and things get confusing!
indie.star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 22:52
cliffy91
Forum Member

This one had everything. The laugh-out-loud frog scene. A hate figure in the fat daughter. The sadness of a death (seeing Derek get upset was awful), a narrative in Hannah's relationship, and a slight confrontation for Kev who almost admitted he wasnt really getting any.
Perfect sum up,thought it was another great episode,Gervais' acting is perfect for me and very believable
cliffy91 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 22:53
Apple_Crumble
Forum Member

The daughter character is so over the top it doesnt seem true anyone would behave like that
I asked my mother, who worked for ten years in a nursing home as an assistant manager, what she thought, and she said the character reminded her of a few families that she knew in her time while working there.
Apple_Crumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 22:53
Fairyprincess0
Forum Member

Please tell me either Tom or dougie ends up hitting kev, it's like Derek has befriended his school bully.

My fav line this week: "it your mam memories here." I loved the way Hannah squeezed dougie's arm afterwards.

It's ironic that pilkington play 'himself' and yet, he's one of the smartest characters in the show.....

Best episode so far....
Fairyprincess0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 22:56
JBO
Forum Member

Dougie was fantastic at the end there.
JBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 22:57
Hankshaw
Forum Member

Maybe not. However in this show it's the only case. Which makes this show a little hard to swallow with all it's morally superior messages.

Another round of lazy acting and inconsistent writing from Gervais once again.

Laughing at fat, unattractive women. So warm hearted and wonderful and subtle and nuanced from the pen of Gervais. Anyone who doesn't laugh at that simply doesn't get it.

I noticed the kind Derek was actually embarrassed by Kev's overweight girlfriend. So much for that pure kindness then.

Gervais breaking character with the 'This is sickening.' line, to promote how much he loves animals I guess. Just lazy acting really that he can't stay in character.

Hannah's boyfriend keeps bothering her in the day. Just to emphasise how dedicated she is to her work. Laying it on thick now. We get it, she's good at her job.

Hannah knew that Kev had used the scales to weigh his dick. But she decided not to wash them, throw them away or ban Kev from the home. Maybe she isn't so good at her job.

The sly and deceitful Derek is suddenly an idiot again when it comes to a frog ornament. Anything for an easy laugh, who cares about proper writing.

Kind Derek scavenging other peoples food. Typical Derek behaviour.

Oh and we get Derek crying into the camera now. I hope those tears are from guilt for how poorly he treats the residents. I doubt it though.

And that woman was right to question Derek working there. He is rude to the residents, has brought in an alcoholic sex pest who hangs about, takes up far too much time and energy of the other staff and does no work in the home. He's a liability and a drain on their resources.
Hankshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 23:00
Ollie_h19
Forum Member

Maybe not. However in this show it's the only case. Which makes this show a little hard to swallow with all it's morally superior messages.

Laughing at fat, unattractive women. So warm hearted and wonderful and subtle and nuanced from the pen of Gervais. Anyone who doesn't laugh at that simply doesn't get it.

I noticed the kind Derek was actually embarrassed by Kev's overweight girlfriend. So much for that pure kindness then.

Gervais breaking character with the 'This is sickening line' to promote how much he loves animals I guess. Just lazy acting really that he can't stay in character.

Hannah's boyfriend keeps bothering her in the day. Just to emphasise how dedicated she is to her work. Laying it on thick now. We get it, she's good at her job.

Hannah knew that Kev had used the scales to weigh his dick. But she decided not to wash them, throw them away or ban Kev from the home. Maybe she isn't so good at her job.

The sly and deceitful Derek is suddenly an idiot again when it comes to a frog ornament. Anything for an easy laugh, who cares about proper writing.

Oh and we get Derek crying into the camera now. I hope those tears are from guilt for how poorly her treats the residents. I doubt it though.

And that woman was right to question Derek working there. He is rude to the residents, has brought in an alcoholic sex pest who hangs about, takes up far too much time and energy of the other staff and does no work in the home. He's a liability and a drain on their resources.
As Karl/ Dougie might say... "Don't worry about it"
Old 13-02-2013, 23:03
Hankshaw
Forum Member

As Karl/ Dougie might say... "Don't worry about it"
Clearly Gervais doesn't care!
Old 13-02-2013, 23:09
Northcroft
Inactive Member

Get rid of Kev ffs, he lets it down
Good though, and they didn't do the obvious and keep the ring from the daughter
Northcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 23:12
Matthew_Clarke
Forum Member

Gervais breaking character with the 'This is sickening.' line, to promote how much he loves animals I guess. Just lazy acting really that he can't stay in character.

Oh and we get Derek crying into the camera now. I hope those tears are from guilt for how poorly he treats the residents. I doubt it though.

**** me you're bitter. Cookie?
Matthew_Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 23:19
Hankshaw
Forum Member

**** me you're bitter. Cookie?
Bitter about what?

Rather than insult me, maybe if you believe I'm incorrect in my post you can point out where I'm wrong.
Old 13-02-2013, 23:34
Missy Marsh
Forum Member

I work in healthcare and can honestly say that I've seen relatives that horrible. Don't care for their relative at all- some of the ones i've had the misfortune of meeting, I wonder why they even bother visiting.
Missy Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 23:36
indie.star
Forum Member

I still don't like Kev either. I wish they'd get rid of him.

Another heartwarming episode. The half hour always whizzes by for me.
indie.star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 23:52
Fibromite59
Forum Member

I thought Derek was a resident there, not a worker. That's why he doesn't do much work and can annoy people, because he has problems and lives there.
Fibromite59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 00:14
Hankshaw
Forum Member

I thought Derek was a resident there, not a worker. That's why he doesn't do much work and can annoy people, because he has problems and lives there.
Nope. He's a member of staff.

I enjoyed the hypocrisy of Dougie talking about the items he could nick to sell at the jumble sale and his fury at the woman who's mother had just died for wanting to sell her ring.
Old 14-02-2013, 01:06
leeruk
Forum Member

if you dont enjoy the show why are you still watching the show your just bitching for the sake of it I bet you even buy the DVD when its released so you can bitch about it all over again
leeruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 01:53
grazman
Forum Member

Why is you so angry and bitter Mr. Hankshaw?
grazman is offline   Reply With Quote