Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Ricky Gervais new comedy- Derek

Old 17-03-2013, 12:33
Alrightmate
Forum Member

I think Derek and Extras are the best things RG has done to date. I dont understand the criticism really.

I wish Extras was repeated though. Its been a while since I've seen it. I cant bring myself to rewatch Office again as some of the characters/situations are so true to my own office and cringeworthy!
Extras is currently being repeated on the Dave channel.
You've missed the first couple of episodes though.
Alrightmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 17-03-2013, 13:48
twogunthom
Forum Member

I think it was a gentle drama with funny moments about an autistic man working as a care assistant. I thought Ricky portrayed him well, and Karl Pingklton is a natural. I was just glad he didn't go down that Charlie Chaplin, Norman Wisdom road were you have to pity the character then somehow find him funny, give me Laurel and Hardy every time over the unfunny Charlie Chaplin.
twogunthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 13:52
twogunthom
Forum Member

Extras is currently being repeated on the Dave channel.
You've missed the first couple of episodes though.
The office was for me the funniest series that ever was, Extras had some genius moments in it Patrick Stewart as an old perv was hiliarious.
Old 17-03-2013, 18:26
degsyhufc
Forum Member

I think it was a gentle drama with funny moments about an autistic man working as a care assistant. I thought Ricky portrayed him well, and Karl Pingklton is a natural. I was just glad he didn't go down that Charlie Chaplin, Norman Wisdom road were you have to pity the character then somehow find him funny, give me Laurel and Hardy every time over the unfunny Charlie Chaplin.
Not according to Gervais
degsyhufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 19:01
twogunthom
Forum Member

Not according to Gervais
That was just my take on it mate, seems to me it could have been open to interpretation. What did Ricky Gervais say about it
Old 17-03-2013, 19:05
degsyhufc
Forum Member

I think a lot of people seeing the Derek character would instantly think of him being autistic or having learning difficulties of some sort.

He wrote an article about it before the series started (it's linked to in this thread I think) and also he talked about the character in the making of episode.

Gervais said he was just a simple, loveable bloke without a bad bone in his body. I thought it was quite patronising of him to tell people how to feel about Derek and his actions/relationships with others.
I thought the point of the series was for the viewers to make up their mind themselves.
degsyhufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 19:12
twogunthom
Forum Member

I think a lot of people seeing the Derek character would instantly think of him being autistic or having learning difficulties of some sort.

He wrote an article about it before the series started (it's linked to in this thread I think) and also he talked about the character in the making of episode.

Gervais said he was just a simple, loveable bloke without a bad bone in his body. I thought it was quite patronising of him to tell people how to feel about Derek and his actions/relationships with others.
I thought the point of the series was for the viewers to make up their mind themselves.
He's anticipated people might percieve Derek to be autistic, sounds ify. I agree with your last view about making up our own minds.
Old 18-03-2013, 01:25
Alrightmate
Forum Member

The office was for me the funniest series that ever was, Extras had some genius moments in it Patrick Stewart as an old perv was hiliarious.
That Patrick Stewart bit is probably my favourite. "But it was too late...I'd seen it all".
I think Extras probably edges it for me. I don't know why. Possibly because it felt freer not being restrained to office type stuff.

My favourite of all of them though is The Ricky Gervais Show.
I know that there's going to be several parts of every show that I'm going to find hilarious. But do I credit Ricky Gervais for those bits, or Karl Pilkington? I just don't know.
Alrightmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 10:46
gashead
Forum Member

Just caught up with the last ep. and even though it was as subtle as a brick in the head and very emotionally manipulative, it was also very moving I thought.

I found Derek (the show) quite paradoxical. I'm a big fan of Gervais's work, but I found this his weakest, in terms of the stereotyped characters and cliched plots, but the quality of the acting from all concerned rose above that to make the characters likeable, even lovable. Also, I don't think the show 'works' as a concept; it's set in a recognisable, present day environment, but at the same time it's entirely un-realistic in showing the day-to-day running of a care home.

As for Geravis insisting that Derek (the character) isn't mentally disabled in some way, I think that's a massive cop-out from him to allow him to play such a person without having to address the issue when asked of whether it's accurate or even exploitative (in much the same way the creators of The Big Bang Theroy insists that Sheldon doesn't have any any autistic traits, when he quite obviously does). There are ways to play a - to quote Gervais from an above comment - 'simple, loveable bloke without a bad bone in his body', without having to resort to bad hair and clothes, limited intelligence and facial tics.
gashead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 18:10
tardiscake
Forum Member

Video of the highlights of Derek Season 1 i made

Make sure to comment below the video and like it also subscribe to my channel please

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi-xZ2yr0tc
tardiscake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 22:56
jsmith99
Forum Member

Video of the highlights of Derek Season 1 i made ..................
Was it much of a problem getting permission to make a copy for public broadcast?
jsmith99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 14:55
Nailz
Forum Member

Derek is being repeated on More4 starting this Sunday night (26th May) at 23:05

Worth watching if you missed it first time. Karl Pilkington is great as Dougie.
Nailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 15:41
radcliffe95
Forum Member

Info and Trailer for Series 2, which starts on 23rd April:-

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-...rek-series-two
radcliffe95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 15:43
albion-mad-nick
Forum Member

Info and Trailer for Series 2, which starts on 23rd April:-

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-...rek-series-two
Yayyy, can't wait
albion-mad-nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 17:21
Jefferson
Inactive Member

That Patrick Stewart bit is probably my favourite. "But it was too late...I'd seen it all".
I think Extras probably edges it for me. I don't know why. Possibly because it felt freer not being restrained to office type stuff.

My favourite of all of them though is The Ricky Gervais Show.
I know that there's going to be several parts of every show that I'm going to find hilarious. But do I credit Ricky Gervais for those bits, or Karl Pilkington? I just don't know.
Let's not forget how brilliantly funny Gervaise has been over the years at awards events and his contributions to Comic Relief.

I'm not impressed by people being awarded the funniest person in Britain who can't raise a titter when they accept it.
Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 18:27
charliesays
Forum Member

Loved the first series, proper bit of feel good TV. Looking forward to all of the twonks piling on this thread with their tiresome Gervais hatred.
charliesays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 18:46
Ollie_h19
Forum Member

Yay! Cant wait!
Ollie_h19 is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 19:43
poppy10
Forum Member

Wooo Woooo can't wait. Love this show. Karl Pilkington is so funny.
poppy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 12:36
radcliffe95
Forum Member

Wooo Woooo can't wait. Love this show. Karl Pilkington is so funny.
I'm afraid you're in for a bit of a disappointment then.....

Spoiler
radcliffe95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 20:38
BellaRosa
Forum Member

Another one who cannot wait for this. Was not sure to begin with but love it now.
BellaRosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 00:58
Moleskin
Forum Member

I think if I were rating Gervais's TV stuff I would go:

Office Series 1 - 9
Office Series 2 - 8
Office Specials Pt 1 - 7
Pt 2 - 8.5
Extras Series 1 - 7.5
Series 2 - 7
Christmas Special - 7.5
Rickey Gervais Show Series 1 - 7.5
Series 2 - 7.5
Series 3 - 7
Life's Too Short - 6
Derek - 6.5
Moleskin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 07:23
charliesays
Forum Member

I think if I were rating Gervais's TV stuff I would go:

Office Series 1 - 9
Office Series 2 - 8
Office Specials Pt 1 - 7
Pt 2 - 8.5
Extras Series 1 - 7.5
Series 2 - 7
Christmas Special - 7.5
Rickey Gervais Show Series 1 - 7.5
Series 2 - 7.5
Series 3 - 7
Life's Too Short - 6
Derek - 6.5
You're wrong of course
Old 20-04-2014, 08:31
ShotMarvin1
Forum Member

I'm sort of looking forward to this. The first series had a lot of good elements, but also many that I found fault with.

I think this has been the weakest series that Ricky Gervais has done - he seems to have lost the subtle touch he brilliantly displayed in both The Office and Extras. Derek, in comparison, was about as unsubtle as comedy/pathos could get.

I'll give the first episode a go to see whether it's improved or not.
ShotMarvin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 09:28
Phoenix Lazarus
Forum Member

You're wrong of course
No they're not, because they're rating them according to their own subjective opinion, which they obviously know.
Phoenix Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 17:53
charliesays
Forum Member

No they're not, because they're rating them according to their own subjective opinion, which they obviously know.
Sorry but they are completely wrong. And so are you.