DS Forums

Spiral (Engrenages) Series Four

Old 08-01-2015, 22:24
Aura101
Forum Member

I thought a second series was promised?
Especially as Sir Ian said they saw the faults in the first series and would rectify them for the second.

I really enjoyed the series apart from a couple of really naff episodes!

Anyone know?
Aura101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 08-01-2015, 22:27
degsyhufc
Forum Member

It starts filming this month.
degsyhufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 22:53
Straker
Forum Member

The faults in the first series are that they bothered to make it at all! One of the most dreadful things ever broadcast.
Straker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:26
davelovesleeds
Forum Member

The faults in the first series are that they bothered to make it at all! One of the most dreadful things ever broadcast.
Can't agree at all with this comment. I thought it was very funny and is quite deserving of a second series,

Don't know what faults he was referring to.
davelovesleeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:35
guestofseth
Unregistered

The faults were the scripts, the series only managed to be enjoyable for me because it was obvious how much fun the cast was having with it. Watching brilliant actors being allowed to ham it up, knowing but clearly not caring how bad the scripts were, is entertaining in itself.
guestofseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:41
little-monster
Forum Member

Delay in season 2 was due to both actors schedules

That's the problem when you have two such established actors who are never out of work and normally do several projects a year.
little-monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:57
koantemplation
Forum Member

The faults were the scripts, the series only managed to be enjoyable for me because it was obvious how much fun the cast was having with it. Watching brilliant actors being allowed to ham it up, knowing but clearly not caring how bad the scripts were, is entertaining in itself.
I'm not sure I agree it was bad, but I do agree that half the fun of the show was seeing the actors enjoying what they were doing.

Ian and Derek make a great team.
koantemplation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 13:12
Merida
Forum Member

I thought it was poor at first but it definitely improved. I thought the episode in the nightclub was really good, I laughed loads at that one.
Merida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 14:45
DCM10
Forum Member

Totally disagree. Some of the scripts were weak but it wasn't a dreadful series
DCM10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 15:00
Straker
Forum Member

It was appalling. What a waste of three fine actors. The bloke who played the one McKellen was lusting after was especially terrible, broadcasting lines and mannerisms as if trying to reach the cheap seats in the O2. The tone of the whole thing was like a hangover from the seventies but with added gay content.
Old 09-01-2015, 18:20
DCM10
Forum Member

It was appalling. What a waste of three fine actors. The bloke who played the one McKellen was lusting after was especially terrible, broadcasting lines and mannerisms as if trying to reach the cheap seats in the O2. The tone of the whole thing was like a hangover from the seventies but with added gay content.
Well enough people liked it for a second series to be commissioned. Perhaps you should avoid it as you obviously don't like old fashioned comedy
DCM10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 18:27
MagicCoppelia
Forum Member

Exactly how I feel.
MagicCoppelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 18:29
Straker
Forum Member

Well enough people liked it for a second series to be commissioned. Perhaps you should avoid it as you obviously don't like old fashioned comedy
Did I give the impression I'd be torturing myself with it again? Fortunately with it being on ITV it's habit for me to avoid it, just like I do with 99% of their output!

ITV are just thrilled at having Jacobi and McKellen in a show. They would've recommissioned it regardless.
Old 09-01-2015, 18:59
performingmonk
Forum Member

It was good fun and easily worthy of a second series!
performingmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 19:02
jake lyle
Forum Member

Did I give the impression I'd be torturing myself with it again? Fortunately with it being on ITV it's habit for me to avoid it, just like I do with 99% of their output!

ITV are just thrilled at having Jacobi and McKellen in a show. They would've recommissioned it regardless.
Indeed the ratings collapsed throughout the run.
jake lyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 21:03
knawtitypaos
Forum Member

Dreadful program. What were McKellen and Jacobi thinking???
knawtitypaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 21:24
primosprimos
Forum Member

Dreadful program. What were McKellen and Jacobi thinking???
Have to agree. I hope they didn't need the money.

I was embarrassed for them both, as well as for the wonderful Frances deLaTour.

As noted, the young boyfriend was playing to the bartender waiting for the theater goers to leave their seats and have a drink during intermission. He was awful and in need of acting classes.
primosprimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 17:44
Welsh-lad
Forum Member

I thought it was dreadful.

The technical aspects for improvement (e.g. the main actors tending to shout because they were in theatrical rather than TV recording mode) could be easily achieved, but the concept and content of the programme was off; the two main characters dislikeable, the inexplicable Ash with his faux tínorth accent, the silliness without charm.

It wasnít good.
Welsh-lad is offline   Reply With Quote