Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

2 Broke Girls (E4, UK Pace, No Spoilers)

Old 07-04-2012, 01:10
JasonWatkins
Forum Member

Looking forward to this, but anyone want to bet on which episode it'll be pulled to "return later in the year" ??.

Perhaps we should have a sweep .. I'm going say they'll split it in two, so we'll get around 12 before it's pulled.
JasonWatkins is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:56
RiDsTeR
Forum Member

I just saw the advert for it, looks quite funny. I'll be giving it a go.
RiDsTeR is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:17
geordielady
Forum Member

Hope i am proved wrong but just looks like another rubbish comedy to come out of the states, the US use to give us some great comedy shows but recently the quality has really gone downhill, shows like new girl, happy endings and the many other new US comedies shows on E4 are just dire IMO, the only one that just about manages to keep its head above water is the big bang theory.
geordielady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:54
Mikey_
Forum Member

Looking forward to this, but anyone want to bet on which episode it'll be pulled to "return later in the year" ??.

Perhaps we should have a sweep .. I'm going say they'll split it in two, so we'll get around 12 before it's pulled.
Pretty much the entire season has aired in the US, so I don't imagine there will be any breaks in the run. The breaks only usually occur when the US has done the same.

Also, it's much better than most of the E4's American offerings. It's quite crude and genuinely funny.
Mikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:11
JasonWatkins
Forum Member

Pretty much the entire season has aired in the US, so I don't imagine there will be any breaks in the run
This is Channel 4 we're talking about
JasonWatkins is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:34
sp2011
Inactive Member

This show looks funny, Cant wait
sp2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:15
theonlyweeman
Forum Member

Hope i am proved wrong but just looks like another rubbish comedy to come out of the states, the US use to give us some great comedy shows but recently the quality has really gone downhill, shows like new girl, happy endings and the many other new US comedies shows on E4 are just dire IMO, the only one that just about manages to keep its head above water is the big bang theory.
I think the problem is that most American comedies these days are quite polarising. For example, if you hate Zooey Deschannel then New Girl just won't work and if you hate crude humour you probably won't 2 Broke Girls.
theonlyweeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 13:47
Densino
Inactive Member

I couldn't agree less!!!!

Happy Endings > The Big Bang Theory

What about Community? Parks and Recreation? Rules of Engagement?
all very good comedies.

2 Broke Girls looks dire
Densino is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 14:50
rivercity_rules
Forum Member

2 Broke Girls is good, it's one of the shows I've stuck with from the start (Whitney, Subugatory and Up All Night have fallen behind for me at the moment) along with Revenge and it's a good little show.

It takes a few episodes to get used to the crudeness, it's maybe just because I'm used to more clean cut US comedies, it takes a while to set in that this is just what the characters are like, it's not just thrown in for the sake of it.

Has the show been renewed for a second series? Jennifer Coolidge's addition makes me think it hasn't and she's been brought in to somehow boost ratings but I'd love it to return for a second run.
rivercity_rules is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 16:34
theonlyweeman
Forum Member

I'm willing to bet that most of the people that enjoy 2BG are younger and those that think looks dire are probably slightly older. (Obviously that was a generalisation and there will be some exceptions). I imagine the crude humour doesn't really appeal to an older demographic, who are more likely to enjoy 30 Rock, Community, Park & Rec., etc.
Old 07-04-2012, 16:43
theonlyweeman
Forum Member

Has the show been renewed for a second series? Jennifer Coolidge's addition makes me think it hasn't and she's been brought in to somehow boost ratings but I'd love it to return for a second run.
According to TV by the Numbers it has already been renewed. It has the 3rd highest cancel/renew index on CBS (behind 2.5 Men and Big Bang Theory).
Old 07-04-2012, 23:09
geordielady
Forum Member

I think the problem is that most American comedies these days are quite polarising. For example, if you hate Zooey Deschannel then New Girl just won't work and if you hate crude humour you probably won't 2 Broke Girls.
I dont have nothing against ZD at all and was looking forward to New girl but IMO its just cheap storylines and in places it would not look out of place on the disney channel.
My view has always been its so easy to make a funny comedy but darn hard to make a quality comedy.

But of course its really just down to personal choice but in my view most comedies that have come out the US in the last 5 years or so just follow the same lines, nothing new or origional at all.
But according to some here 2BG got a crude element to the show, so it may yet appeal to me
geordielady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:48
Ghost World
Forum Member

The problem is not that there are no good US comedies, it's that you're using E4 as a barometer for the health of American sitcoms. E4's core audience are idiots. That's why they buy bad comedy shows.

If they cared about good television, there would be plenty to choose from.

Also, New Girl is perfectly fine. And Bob's Burgers was good.
Ghost World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 13:26
brangdon
Forum Member

E4's core audience are idiots. That's why they buy bad comedy shows.
Isn't it because E4 have no money? They are not exactly the number-one channel. Not even number four.
brangdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 19:02
theonlyweeman
Forum Member

The problem is not that there are no good US comedies, it's that you're using E4 as a barometer for the health of American sitcoms. E4's core audience are idiots. That's why they buy bad comedy shows.

If they cared about good television, there would be plenty to choose from.

Also, New Girl is perfectly fine. And Bob's Burgers was good.
That was a tad over the top

I consider myself part of E4's 'core demographic and audience', but I like 'more intilligent' shows such as The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, 30 Rock and Community, as well as shows like New Girl, 2 Broke Girls, The Big Bang Theory and American Dad.

To call all or E4's core audience idiots, just because you dislike some of their shows, was a tad overzealous and idiotic of you.

PS: Bob's Burgers is appauling, It's so unfunny I wouldn't even call it a comedy
Old 10-04-2012, 20:11
Densino
Inactive Member

I consider myself part of E4's 'core demographic and audience', but I like 'more intilligent' shows such as The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, 30 Rock and Community, as well as shows like New Girl, 2 Broke Girls, The Big Bang Theory and American Dad.

To call all or E4's core audience idiots, just because you dislike some of their shows, was a tad overzealous and idiotic of you.

PS: Bob's Burgers is appauling, It's so unfunny I wouldn't even call it a comedy
Bob's Burgers > American Dad, New Girl, 2 Broke Girls
Old 10-04-2012, 20:12
Ghost World
Forum Member

Beaver Falls, Made in Chelsea, Desperate Scousewives, Sorority Girls, Tool Academy - stupid shows for stupid people.
Ghost World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 22:10
rivercity_rules
Forum Member

Beaver Falls, Made in Chelsea, Desperate Scousewives, Sorority Girls, Tool Academy - stupid shows for stupid people.
In your opinion.

People watch tv to unwind, mindless things are entertaining to some whilst others like to unwind with documentaries or dramas.

Sometimes the last thing I want after a day at work is to watch anything that involves even a hint of thinking.

Made in Chelsea cast sell out PAs at Students unions with ease, ie a whole building of people getting degrees, not stupid.

Not everyone wants to be educated by TV shows. Stop being so rude and insulting please.
rivercity_rules is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 23:11
theonlyweeman
Forum Member

Just because they're on a channel doesn't mean it's entire audience watches them. They air Cbeebies on BBC One, doesn't mean it's entire audience are toddlers...
Old 10-04-2012, 23:12
theonlyweeman
Forum Member

Bob's Burgers > American Dad, New Girl, 2 Broke Girls
I happen to disagree strongly, (and was slightly offended by the casual autism joke in the pilot), but who am I to decide what you should like and what you shouldn't
Old 11-04-2012, 00:59
Densino
Inactive Member

I happen to disagree strongly, (and was slightly offended by the casual autism joke in the pilot), but who am I to decide what you should like and what you shouldn't
If I'm not mistaken American Dad spent a full episode taking the p^ss out of an autistic character, also 2 Broke Girls, has gotten lots of negative reviews for being 2 crude, racist and offensive...just google "2 Broke Girls 2 Offensive" and you'll have your fair share of articles to read about
Old 11-04-2012, 01:09
theonlyweeman
Forum Member

If I'm not mistaken American Dad spent a full episode taking the p^ss out of an autistic character, also 2 Broke Girls, has gotten lots of negative reviews for being 2 crude, racist and offensive...just google "2 Broke Girls 2 Offensive" and you'll have your fair share of articles to read about
I haven't seent that episode of American Dad and a quick google couldn't find anything, so I think you may be mistaken. Anyway, Family Guy got negative publicity for a joke involving Down's, so I doubt Fox would do it again. Also, I have no problem with Autism jokes, I regularly watch and enjoy both The Big Bang Theory and Community. There was just something about that joke in Bob's Burgers that didn't resonate well with me.

I certainly don't care how crude a show is. Racism, only offends me if it is clearly intended. For example, a racist joke doesn't offend me but somebody being outright racist without humour, sarcasm or irony would. One of the reasons I like 2BG was because it was ridicoulsly crude and over the top.
Old 19-04-2012, 20:53
RingoJ739K
Forum Member

7 Mins to GOO!
RingoJ739K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 21:09
Densino
Inactive Member

not bad so far, but not great
Old 19-04-2012, 21:13
Simpsons_Fan_16
Forum Member

I agree not bad but not great. It's very pilot-y though, they are trying lots out. I think it should be sorted out in a few episodes time so will try and stick with it!
Simpsons_Fan_16 is offline   Reply With Quote