http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUhLUCaVpvM

Where can I buy Horse Meat in the UK?

YUK!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Have you asked your local butcher?
    They might beable to order it in.

Years ago my local butcher used to sell horse tongue meat. Tastes have changed since then though.
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    gerr60 wrote: »
    YUK!!!!!!!!

Why YUK!!!!!!!!?
  • Options
    DubDubDubDub Posts: 2,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no .
  • Options
    nobabydaddynobabydaddy Posts: 2,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had horse merguez in France many years ago.. They tasted awesome! :D
  • Options
    GaditanoGaditano Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a stall at the back of La Boqueria market in Barcelona, top left hand side. And a great Cuban restaurant where they cook it beautifully, near Jaume III metro station.

I like to help.
  • Options
    NickelbackNickelback Posts: 23,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No..The Idea is repulsive to me,I'm a horse lover i hope to god none of my ponies ever ended on somebodies dinner plate,whatever next cats and dogs :(
  • Options
    BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
  • Options
    springtimeloverspringtimelover Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nickelback wrote: »
    No..The Idea is repulsive to me,I'm a horse lover i hope to god none of my ponies ever ended on somebodies dinner plate,whatever next cats and dogs :(

Probably ended up as pet food like a lot of them do.
  • Options
    dids858dids858 Posts: 3,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite tasty is a bit of horse I wouldn't mind seeing over here. Told have a bit when in france.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Nice site. I might order a selection for bbq season
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nickelback wrote: »

I'd happily tuck into cat or dog. In fact if I went somewhere like Korea where these are eaten I'd make a point of trying it. Who are we to say that what we eat in our culture is correct and what others eat isn't?

If it tastes good, is prepared properly and won't poison me I'd eat anything.

I really don't understand people who won't try things because they don't like the idea of eating a cute, fluffy rabbit or a deer like Bambi. :rolleyes:

That site posted above looks great. If the meat's decent quality I can see myself trying quite a bit from there. Zebra, Reindeer, Impala! Fantastic!
  • Options
    NickelbackNickelback Posts: 23,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Koreans aren't they the ones that like to hang the Dog and beat it to death,torturing it brings out the flavour, and oh don't forget they like to skin them ALIVE too...if your ok with that then good for you..:eek:

I do eat meat but i draw the line at eating Pets :p
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a pet pig when I was a kid. Tasted just as good as a non pet pig when we ate her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horses shouldn't be eaten unless its a war and famine and you have no other option and it's a final and last resort. Why would anyone want to eat such a useful, elegant graceful creature.
  • Options
    Butcher BillButcher Bill Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a very Belgian thing to do.

I don't think we should be doing Belgian things.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about Belgian buns and watching Poirrot?
  • Options
    Butcher BillButcher Bill Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    What about Belgian buns and watching Poirrot?

Well that's different.

Besides - Belgian buns look like breasts - and Poirot's brother does the news.
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horses shouldn't be eaten unless its a war and famine and you have no other option and it's a final and last resort. Why would anyone want to eat such a useful, elegant graceful creature.

Because they taste nice?

What has it being elegant and graceful got to do with anything? That's essentially saying that it's OK to eat pigs because they're fat and ugly. How about a disabled horse? Is that OK to eat? It's probably not as graceful and elegant and probably couldn't pull a cart.

I'd eat a pink unicorn with a golden horn if it tasted good.

As for the Korean dog thing. I don't particularly see a reason why they have to be cruel when killing the dogs but I would try it.
  • Options
    richcleverrichclever Posts: 12,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've eaten horse once in Malta a couple of years ago and it was gorgeous. Asked my butcher whether he could get it and he told me he is not allowed to sell it so looks like it'll have to wait for my next visit to Malta or when I next visit my mother in France. Lovely stuff though.
  • Options
    alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    The only horse meat you will get in this country will have been frozen - so I wouldn't bother.
  • Options
    GoobyGooby Posts: 1,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friends have just come back from a massive trip in South East Asia where dog is on many menus. However it is considered a delicacy so it is much more expensive than most meals.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is an animal. Humans eat animals, like pigs, cows, and whatnot. An animal is an animal, if it can be eaten, and it tastes nice, then there is no problem with that.
  • Options
    paulmasterpaulmaster Posts: 237
    Forum Member

thanks for that some of the meat sounds great