Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

'Sin City: A Dame to Kill For' to shoot this summer

Old 16-06-2013, 23:54
DVDfever
Forum Member

I haven't seen the film yet so wanted to avoid people talking about it in the main thread (as well as this one query getting drowned out by over 700 posts), but I wanted to know whether it's worth seeing in IMAX, especially since the 3D was all added in post-production.

The theatrical ratio is 2.35:1, but I understand the IMAX ratio is 1.85:1, for at least some of the film.
DVDfever is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 17-06-2013, 09:57
DVDfever
Forum Member

Anyone?
Old 17-06-2013, 12:05
MarkMcKeown
Forum Member

I can only comment on the 3D aspect of it, but for Real-D used in regular screens - I assume it can't be much different for IMAX.
Anyway, all I can say is don't bother (if it is the same), it was good for the first 15mins but after that it was like someone switched off the 3D aspect, it just made absolutely NO difference.
Much better enjoying it in full colour while in 2D!
I've just booked my first ever IMAX tickets for it as I'm in Manchester and we don't have one in Belfast, so am definitely going for 2D!
MarkMcKeown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 12:12
CJClarke
Forum Member

I saw it on a Digital IMAX screen and it was in 2:35:1 with black borders for the entire film. It was an IMAX conversion so there is no IMAX footage which fills the screen (so even on a proper IMAX screen you'll still have the borders). The 3D was pretty pointless though (again, it wasn't filmed in 3D, it was converted), but if you're seeing it in IMAX I don't think you'll have a 2D option anyway.

All that said, I'd say it's still worth seeing on an IMAX screen because it really adds to the spectacle of the film.
CJClarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 23:08
DVDfever
Forum Member

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like regular 2D is the way to go for this. It's something like 12.30 for a daytime IMAX ticket at Manchester Odeon, so it's not worth that.

All that said, I'd say it's still worth seeing on an IMAX screen because it really adds to the spectacle of the film.
After seeing Dark Knight Rises in IMAX, I vowed only to see 3D films in IMAX after that. The 1.44:1 scenes were great, and looked like they breathed life, but all the 2.35:1 scenes just looked flat and bland by comparison. And unless you're sitting in the centre, it results in a picture that looks a bit 'stretched' on one side. I didn't enjoy that aspect at all.