Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

The Bridge BBC4 (UK pace) No spoilers!

Old 21-04-2012, 14:30
barnsleykeith
Forum Member

Ooh' sorry, I've "spoiler tagged" mine, do you want to "de-quote" me?

K
Done. Many Thanks
barnsleykeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 21-04-2012, 14:50
MrsMR
Forum Member

There will be subtitles. Nearly all BBC programmes have them

I think our Danish/Swedish contributors have said before that the languages are similar. So they all understand each other?

My problem is- I won't be able to tell who is Swedish and who is Danish

Danish cops are Politi. Swedish are Polisen I think. But out of uniform????? I'll have to keep notes
BIB...why did I immediately think of major Blondie in the shower
MrsMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 14:57
barnsleykeith
Forum Member

BIB...why did I immediately think of major Blondie in the shower
'Cos that's the kind of mind you have

UK DVD released on 21st May( 3 Discer). Preorder price of £29 from Amazon. There will be a BR release as well- £39.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Bridge-B...5017196&sr=8-1

PS
Already a Scandi DVD release out there. It has English subs as well, I think.
Old 21-04-2012, 15:29
minkski
Forum Member

I think our Danish/Swedish contributors have said before that the languages are similar. So they all understand each other?

Danish cops are Politi. Swedish are Polisen I think. But out of uniform????? I'll have to keep notes
Notepad at the ready!! Are you planning to do flow charts GrampsBK?

I assume you got bail minkski?
That is why I never answer the phone early on a Saturday morning: bail applications

I actually feel better than I ought to today, a bit tired that's all But it was fun meeting those Danish police last night: they wanted to know if we watched in Danish! I did forget to ask if we could work it out from the clues though But they did say it was very good

Seems I piqued the interest of my friend who shall also be watching it tonight
minkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 15:42
barnsleykeith
Forum Member

Notepad at the ready!! Are you planning to do flow charts GrampsBK?

That is why I never answer the phone early on a Saturday morning: bail applications

I actually feel better than I ought to today, a bit tired that's all But it was fun meeting those Danish police last night: they wanted to know if we watched in Danish! I did forget to ask if we could work it out from the clues though But they did say it was very good

Seems I piqued the interest of my friend who shall also be watching it tonight
No flow charts, or coloured markers. But notepad? Most certainly.

MrsBK wants to watch with me tonight. Which will be fun. It's like having a kid in the car. Who's that? Where have I seen him/her before. etc etc.

PS
Looks like I'm stuck with Gramps from now on?
Old 21-04-2012, 16:31
Verence
Forum Member

These may help

http://www.uniforminsignia.org/?opti...=53&result=135

http://www.uniforminsignia.org/?opti...=53&result=289

Mind you it may not help as far as the subtitles go. Using Mentalbaldo as an example, the subtitles always have him being called Inspector whereas his rank in the Polizia di Stato is actually Commissario
Verence is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 16:36
barnsleykeith
Forum Member

Old 21-04-2012, 16:39
Verence
Forum Member

Thank you Verence.

Deja Vu or what?
That page will be one of my first ports of call if we ever get a programme from another country in the Euro-Crime slot.

I've said it before and I'll say it before, the various Euro-Crime have been educational as well as entertaining as we learn about the legal and political systems of the various countries
Old 21-04-2012, 16:47
gomezz
Forum Member

Using Mentalbaldo as an example, the subtitles always have him being called Inspector whereas his rank in the Polizia di Stato is actually Commissario
But sometime you hear his juniors calling him Dottore (Doctor). I know that in Italy anyone with a first degree can be called that but is it in this case a generic honorific similar to the British police calling their superior Guv'ner?
gomezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 16:58
Verence
Forum Member

But sometime you hear his juniors calling him Dottore (Doctor). I know that in Italy anyone with a first degree can be called that but is it in this case a generic honorific similar to the British police calling their superior Guv'ner?
Maybe it's a bit of banter
Old 21-04-2012, 17:03
ilovewallander
Forum Member

Yes, I've noticed Catarello always calls old Baldo "Dottore"
ilovewallander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 17:07
barnsleykeith
Forum Member

Mind you it may not help as far as the subtitles go. Using Mentalbaldo as an example, the subtitles always have him being called Inspector whereas his rank in the Polizia di Stato is actually Commissario
Laure Berthaud in Spiral is a Captain. But the subs always call her an Inspector.
Old 21-04-2012, 17:08
barnsleykeith
Forum Member

Valentino Rossi is nicknamed The Doctor. He has a degree as well. Not sure if the two are connected though. Apparantly calling someone Doctor is a huge sign of respect. Does this fit in with the character and his subordinates?
Old 21-04-2012, 17:12
gomezz
Forum Member

Being a fan of VR is how I knew.
gomezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 17:25
barnsleykeith
Forum Member

Being a fan of VR is how I knew.
Fan here as well. First saw him at Donington on a 125. You could tell straight away he was a class act.
Old 21-04-2012, 17:58
Doghouse Riley
Forum Member

Given that TV drama programmes should be entertaining, I'm hoping this won't be as depressing as some parts of previous Scandinavian contributions.
No wonder they have such high suicide rates in some countries.
Doghouse Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 18:10
Verence
Forum Member

Valentino Rossi is nicknamed The Doctor. He has a degree as well. Not sure if the two are connected though. Apparantly calling someone Doctor is a huge sign of respect. Does this fit in with the character and his subordinates?
I think that may just like a group of people nicknaming a member of their group "Professor" or "Prof" if they are seen to have more of an education than the rest.

A bit like Sergeant Major Williams in It Ain't Half Hot Mum calling Gunner Graham "Mr La Di Dah Gunner Graham"

(I realise referencing IAHHM does age me quite a lot!!)
Old 21-04-2012, 18:25
Straker
Forum Member

Given that TV drama programmes should be entertaining, I'm hoping this won't be as depressing as some parts of previous Scandinavian contributions.
No wonder they have such high suicide rates in some countries.
Itís the drama that reflects the reality rather than eps of Wallander and The Killing making our European cousins top themselves! Still, youíve laid the foundations for a post-airing moan so......mission accomplished!

Itís a series where the central crime is people cut in half - You were expecting a comedy perhaps?

Perhaps Mentalbaldo would be more your speed - Sun, sand and skin?
Straker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 18:32
ilovewallander
Forum Member

Itís the drama that reflects the reality rather than eps of Wallander and The Killing making our European cousins top themselves! Still, youíve laid the foundations for a post-airing moan so......mission accomplished!

Itís a series where the central crime is people cut in half - You were expecting a comedy perhaps?

He doesn't like Mentalbaldo either. Too light-hearted No pleasing him I'm afraid! Oh and it's subtitled so there'll be moaning about that too.
ilovewallander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 18:38
chestfield
Forum Member

and on the subject of "Doctor", have you noticed how many times the deceased fathers of the poor Nigerian scammers all have that title?
chestfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 18:48
Verence
Forum Member

and on the subject of "Doctor", have you noticed how many times the deceased fathers of the poor Nigerian scammers all have that title?
Aren't a lot of them ex-Army Generals or Government ministers??

Although the one that fooled Olafur in Naeturvaktin was pretending to be a Prince
Old 21-04-2012, 18:54
Doghouse Riley
Forum Member

Err..
Who mentioned comedy?

Oh yes you did.

Anyway, why are you so concerned about what I think about a programme?

Makes no sense to me.

You're already moaning about someone else's opinion, or like some others, do you think that's your job?
Doghouse Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 19:04
barnsleykeith
Forum Member

Aren't a lot of them ex-Army Generals or Government ministers??

Although the one that fooled Olafur in Naeturvaktin was pretending to be a Prince
Prince Benjamin.

Brings a grin to my face just typing it
Old 21-04-2012, 19:04
the_lostprophet
Forum Member

Danish sounds much more guttural/throaty than Swedish - the Swedes seem to roll their 'r's - it's definitely not so much from the back of the throat.
the_lostprophet is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 19:13
barnsleykeith
Forum Member

Danish sounds much more guttural/throaty than Swedish - the Swedes seem to roll their 'r's - it's definitely not so much from the back of the throat.
Linguistic ignoramus on the forecourt remember TLP

But I'll try my best, thanks very much.

So the Danes are the growlers??? And the Swedes purr