Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Mrs Brown starring Judi Dench

Old 16-02-2012, 22:38
projectmayhem00
Forum Member

New British comedy about a group of disparate retirees who opt to spend their 'autumn years' in India. With an all-star cast including Dame Judi Dench, Dame Maggie Smith, Bill Nighy, Tom Wilkinson and Celia Imrie. Looks good and is out on the 24th Februrary. Anyone seen it yet?
projectmayhem00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 17-02-2012, 08:13
Inkblot
Forum Member

The trailer got a good reaction in the cinema when I went to see The Artist, but I thought it looked embarrassingly cliched. The bit where Dev Patel does an It Ain't Half Hot Mum Indian stereotype really put me off. Maybe the trailer does it a disservice.
Inkblot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 08:15
mimicole
Forum Member

I'll probably see this at some point.
mimicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 08:19
Muttley76
Forum Member

The trailer got a good reaction in the cinema when I went to see The Artist, but I thought it looked embarrassingly cliched. The bit where Dev Patel does an It Ain't Half Hot Mum Indian stereotype really put me off. Maybe the trailer does it a disservice.
Pretty much my thoughts....looks extremely predicable as well, kind of like one of those painting by numbers kits you can get.
Muttley76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 14:43
pete137
Forum Member

It looks awful. 4 years on from Slumdog and the only role Dev Patel can get is playing a 'stereotype' Indian (apart from the awful Airbender film).
pete137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 17:47
degsyhufc
Forum Member

I saw a clip on the Graham Norton show last week and it looked as dull as ****. Mind you, so did the clip of The Woman in Black that they showed last night.
degsyhufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 14:40
Sethos Doukas
Inactive Member

I saw a clip on the Graham Norton show last week and it looked as dull as ****. Mind you, so did the clip of The Woman in Black that they showed last night.
Saw both films at private screenings, both are utter pants imop, no wonder cinema attendance's are dropping.
Sethos Doukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 19:00
degsyhufc
Forum Member

Saw both films at private screenings, both are utter pants imop, no wonder cinema attendance's are dropping.
I was wondering if they intentionally gave dull clips to show so there wouldn't be any spoilers, but surely the audience needs some motivation to see a film and the trailer should do that.
I suppose it's better than those trailers that are actually better than the movie
degsyhufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 19:04
JoLuc
Inactive Member

Same old British actors that cannot inspire me to go see it.
Surprised Helena BC isn't in it too.
The sad thing is there are many lower budget British films with fine actors that just don't get the media or DS coverage.
JoLuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 19:40
Sharona68
Forum Member

I can't wait to see it, it has a brilliant cast and I've read the book on which it is based.
Sharona68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 20:33
projectmayhem00
Forum Member

Just seen this. Really funny and charming movie. 8/10
projectmayhem00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 23:58
dillan
Forum Member

Just came back from the cinema. It was probably one of the funniest films I've seen in a while. Loved it! And the acting was great.

9/10.
dillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 07:52
bigalt
Forum Member

It got Judi Dench and Maggie Smith so will watch when it comes out on DVD.
bigalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 12:33
Stansfield
Forum Member

Just seen this. Really funny and charming movie. 8/10
Just came back from the cinema. It was probably one of the funniest films I've seen in a while. Loved it! And the acting was great.
9/10.
Charming & Very Funny....9/10
Loved every minute of this film...a great British OAP cast, in stunning Locations, what more do you want.

And the screening I went to Yesterday was nearly FULL....with the average age, about 72.
Stansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 19:46
lozzerbozzer
Forum Member

Saw this today and really enjoyed it. Maggie Smith stole the movie for me, would give it 8/10.
lozzerbozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 23:05
Hotgossip
Forum Member

Been to see it and I'd score it 8.5 out of 10. I did enjoy it but there were bits I would have done differently and it was a tad predictable. Liked the colour, the noise & hustle & bustle though.

I just love Bill Nighy.
Hotgossip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 21:00
MissDexter
Inactive Member

4/10

Dull, lifeless, full of clichés and hardly a laugh in it.
Sorry to be harsh but it just didn't go anywhere, a wasted opportunity.
MissDexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 21:46
Tallulah121
Forum Member

Saw this earlier with my mum, I'm 25 and was a bit apprehensive about going to see it as I wasn't quite sure about it from the trailer. However, I was pleasantly suprised. I didn't think it was dull or predictable, I actually thought it was very funny, very well directed and brilliantly acted. IMO it wasn't at all cheesy like I expected it to be and even though I'm a bit biased towards Maggie Smith as I think she's wonderful, she truly was brilliant in this film and very witty. Judi Dench and Bill Nighy were also very good and I felt the whole cast worked well together as a unit. I liked it
Tallulah121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 05:28
MissDexter
Inactive Member

Great cast but several of them were wasted in under-developed storylines. We meet Carol once don't see her for an hour then she turns up at the end to say George is moving in with her.

Bad editing too - one scene just appeared from no where and was never explained, to me it was obvious a scene or two was missing which explained the random scene.
Old 28-02-2012, 13:41
wordfromthewise
Forum Member

Not great but not terrible.....Lightweight and 'some things I would have done differently' sums it up perfectly particularly what looked like an implausible and rushed tying up of loose ends at the end of the film.

It would really have struggled without such a strong cast.
wordfromthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 16:35
mrsdaisychain
Forum Member

Been to see this film this week and loved every minute of it. I laughed almost all the way through, some of the one liners were brilliantly funny.
The fabulous cast played each of their roles to perfection and the scenery was lovely too. Just wondering how they got away with a lot what they said in this constricting PC world right now.
It gave the impression that when on location, it was just a matter of get in there and get stuck in. It wasn't as though there were thousands of extras, it didn't appear like that at all, it captured the life there so, so well.
I can't say there was one particular actor/actress that I liked better, they all did well to entertain us in a charming film.
I would recommend this to anyone to go and see.
mrsdaisychain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 00:20
jabegy
Forum Member

Saw it today, wonderful film, came out of the cinema feeling very happy. 9/10
jabegy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 09:11
TVGirl319
Inactive Member

It looks awful. 4 years on from Slumdog and the only role Dev Patel can get is playing a 'stereotype' Indian (apart from the awful Airbender film).
I know!! And yet his girlfriend, Frieda Pinto, who co-starred with him in Slumdog Millionaire, has gone from strength to strength, to do a Woody Allen Film, the latest Planet Of The Apes film and other worthy projects, as well as forging a successful modelling career!!
TVGirl319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 09:55
Paddy C
Forum Member

Dev Patel makes me want to hurt myself, so I shan't be watching this. Even seeing him in the trailer in his horribly cliche'd Indian accent makes me want to throw something at the TV. Which is a pity, the other cast members are all good and worth watching.
Paddy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 10:09
MissDexter
Inactive Member

I know!! And yet his girlfriend, Frieda Pinto, who co-starred with him in Slumdog Millionaire, has gone from strength to strength, to do a Woody Allen Film, the latest Planet Of The Apes film and other worthy projects, as well as forging a successful modelling career!!
In all honesty - they're probably on a par with each other. Woody Allen is hardly the director he once was, The Apes role was pointless and hardly registered. And as for other worthy projects - what?