Options

Recovery Discs error when Verified

TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm trying to make some recovery discs for my Acer Netbook via my External DVD writer, but when the first disc is being verified after burning, I get:

Error code 0x9411 - Verify Failed. Please insert a blank cd/dvd into the optical drive and press ok to continue.

I've tried 3 discs and I get the same message. They are DVD-R discs but surely this shouldn't matter?

From what I've read online, it would have burnt the recovery discs but as it couldn't complete verification, then it could mean they are unreliable.

I am concerned it's my DVD burner. Any ideas? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ignoring this for the moment, u should back up recovery partition soon as possible. i recommend using macrium reflect.

use dvd + r.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    macrium reflect free edition does the burning and verifies. this will tell you if your burner or burning software is faulty.

also make the reflect rescue disk ! needed if windows fails ........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry ..... macrium does the actual burning! uses own software. so will tell you if a problem with the external burner ........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just going to use Acer eRecovery and make a bootable image on a flash drive.

I don't need to do or create anything else do I?
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried DVD+R disks ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    Have you tried DVD+R disks ?

I tried a DVD+RW and that worked fine. I just want to know why it won't verify on a DVD-R?

Don't want to go and spend £8 on a pack of DVD+R discs and for the same thing to happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I've just bought some Verbatim top quality + and - discs.

Both types failed to verify again when creating recovery discs.

I don't get why this is happening? The full error message is:

Disc Type: DVD
    ODD Drive Letter : D
    ODD Name:TSSTcorp CDDVDW SE-208AB
    ODD Type:MA_DVD_WRITE
    Description:
    37905:Successfully,8. This COM exception does not be inclued in the error definition of IMAPI80004005Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component.
    Firmware Version:TS00
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorted - tried some DVD+RW discs which worked. No idea why or how though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have found the solution, so thought I'd post back here incase anyone stumbled across this in the future.

The Acer eRecovery software to burn your recovery discs give you no option on what speed to burn them at.

I tried Ritek DVD-R, Verbatim DVD-R, and Verbatim DVD+R, all failed and all had a max write speed of 8x.

I tried Verbatim DVD+RW which had a max write speed of 4x, and it worked perfectly.

The only explanation is that the data was being written at the discs maximum - 8x - and this was so fast for the Acer eRecovery, therefore using a slower write speed disc of 4x worked perfectly.

Of course, if the Acer eRecovery let you choose the burn speed allowing you to slow it down to 4x, then I believe DVD-R and DVD+R discs that have a max speed of 8x would be fine by slowing it down to 4x.

Just remember, anything like this in the future which doesn't give you a choice of burn speed, then use the slowest discs you have as it will always use the maximum write speed your burner/disc can handle.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although that's a reasonable explanation, it doesn't really sound likely.

Have you successfully burned to one of the same batch of disks that failed with something other than the Acer recovery program?

There's no reason that the Acer program would fail where another burning program would succeed - they are all accessing the same optical subsystem.

It sounds fishy to me that ALL write-once disks failed, and ALL rewriteable disks succeeded, regardless of speed.
  • Options
    Blackjack DavyBlackjack Davy Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had this on my old DVD burner and got through too many coasters, the drive died not long after.. not what you want to hear probably
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loobster wrote: »
    Although that's a reasonable explanation, it doesn't really sound likely.

Have you successfully burned to one of the same batch of disks that failed with something other than the Acer recovery program?

There's no reason that the Acer program would fail where another burning program would succeed - they are all accessing the same optical subsystem.

It sounds fishy to me that ALL write-once disks failed, and ALL rewriteable disks succeeded, regardless of speed.

The DVD-R and DVD+R discs always failed with Acer, but when I use them in imgburn or windows burner, I have no problem at all. Even the same batch of discs.

Only the DVD+RW discs work with Acer recovery. I did more tests and I just can't make a recovery disc with anything other than DVD+RW.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had this on my old DVD burner and got through too many coasters, the drive died not long after.. not what you want to hear probably

My external DVD drive is a brand new Samsung which is highly rated. I really don't think it's the burner as it's written to DVD-R and DVD+R with imgburn with no problems, and that includes verification.

I think the Acer software is using the discs maximum write speed - 8x - and failing as it's being burnt too quick.

It then succeeds with the DVD+RW as the max write speed of those is 4x.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RW discs are supposedly less robust than write-once. Maybe an idea to clone an extra set from them using Imgburn.

I don't trust any of them long term.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RW discs are supposedly less robust than write-once. Maybe an idea to clone an extra set from them using Imgburn.

I don't trust any of them long term.

Yeah I could clone a set and then burn them on DVD-R discs. My main concern is WHY this happened?

I don't really need a second set. If all went wrong, I'd use the recovery partition, and if that wouldn't work, I'd try the recovery discs, and if they wouldn't work, I'd just fresh install Windows 7 from it's disc.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I often get failures above 4x on a small variety of DVDs and drives. I usually don't bother trying for high speed burning anymore. Not that I burn much.

It's also possible the computer couldn't keep the buffer stocked up at your max speed, or a momentary lapse, but it could at 4x.

I also had a spate of burn failures a few years back. Turned out my AV (Avira) was causing the problem. So I always turned it off. Then I forgot after a while and the problems never recurred.