Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

How can we stop Militant Atheists?

Old 22-05-2012, 19:58
Glowbot
Inactive Member

We can only stop them if they actually do something wrong or hurtful. I think by definition an atheist wouldnt be up for that as they are largely humanist.
The idea of a militant atheist is just a phantom that the religious assume is going to take away their superior rights they dont really deserve anyway... Ie the right to persecute others and not do their job properly.
Glowbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 22-05-2012, 19:58
Richard46
Forum Member

,,,. If they just ignored religion, it would go away eventually.,,
May I suggest you have a look at the evidence for the current rise in the number of Faith schools in this country?

http://www.humanism.org.uk/news/view/837

Religion is not going to just go away. Indeed as individuals cease to be religious it appears that religions seek even more institutional power to compensate for their lack of spiritual influence.
Richard46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 20:03
KarlSomething
Forum Member

I don't know about the OP, but I would like to see certain types of atheist stop deriding and insulting anybody who believes in a god. It really makes me angry and I'm not even religious.
So, does it make you angry that I call God imaginary? Or maybe that I call God of the Bible the most evil entity we've ever described?

I generally direct my words at the beliefs and their contents themselves, and not individual persons. It's not really about the one-to-one conversation for me anyway, that's not why I participate on public forums.

I want them to stop making arses of themselves. Atheists don't need manifestos, or organisations, or leaders, or alternative ceremonies.
The majority of people in Britain are atheists not because they have been convinced by the arguments of atheist writers, but because religion has simply lost its place in the modern world. It's not something they need to think about.
And I want them to stop being so rude.
Religion has lost its place because it's being replaced by knowledge that we can see real world results from applying. The beliefs are being challenged. And that's what it seems to me that the OP is unhappy about.

Of course I would be fine with people having their beliefs to themselves, if they actually kept them to themselves.
KarlSomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 20:05
flobadob
Forum Member

With every major religion working hard at recruiting people, attacking education and facts, even working towards turning their countries into theocracies, if they're not already so?
Yes. Obviously the state and religion should be separated, but at the end of the day religion is trying to hold back the tide of reason, and it will not succeed.
The third world is a different proposition. They aren't as clever as us.
flobadob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 20:30
Pretinama

I'm not religious, I'm an Agnostic. I don't know if there's a God.

But Militant Atheists are just as bad as the religious groups they fight.

Forcing their ideals on everyone just like some religious people.

Can it be banned?
I think the phrase "militant atheist" seems to be magiced up my the religious. You cannot be militant about something you don't believe in, I would say. I don't know any non-religious person who has tried to force their lack of religious belief on someone.
Pretinama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 20:32
alan29
Forum Member

Please don't stop them. They are HUGELY entertaining.
alan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 20:44
Richard46
Forum Member

I think the phrase "militant atheist" seems to be magiced up my the religious. You cannot be militant about something you don't believe in, I would say. I don't know any non-religious person who has tried to force their lack of religious belief on someone.
Those militant atheists know no limits. What with their demands for an atheist head of state and and atheists seats in the house of Lords and atheist schools and atheist hospital chaplains and atheist tax exemptions and atheist exemptions from animal slaughter regulations etc.

Actually hang on they have not demanded any of those things have they?
Old 22-05-2012, 20:47
Stiffy78
Forum Member

Those militant atheists know no limits. What with their demands for an atheist head of state and and atheists seats in the house of Lords and atheist schools and atheist hospital chaplains and atheist tax exemptions and atheist exemptions from animal slaughter regulations etc.

Even if there were atheists demanding such things it'd still be a push to call them 'militant'! No believer is classed as militant just for supporting such privileges for religious organisations after all.
Stiffy78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 20:51
2+2=5
Forum Member

You can't win against militant atheists.

They will win in the end. Sadly.
2+2=5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 20:58
flobadob
Forum Member

They want to take over Thought for the Day!

Actually, I would love to hear an atheist Thought for the Day. It should be five minutes of total silence.
flobadob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 21:02
Sofajudge
Forum Member

I find them as irritating as religious zealots. Any individual who refuses to discuss and totally rubbishes another persons belief system, either way, is boorish.
Sofajudge is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 21:05
2+2=5
Forum Member

I find them as irritating as religious zealots. Any individual who refuses to discuss and totally rubbishes another persons belief system, either way, is boorish.
The trouble is, I wonder how many care if people compare them to their religious counterparts. They probably have as poor a view of their critics as they do religious people.
2+2=5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 21:11
Toby_Jugg
Forum Member

The blind belief in something that cannot (currently) be proven one way or another, whichever side of the fence you sit, without even listening to debate and totally discounting the opinions of everybody else is just ridiculous.

I defend everybody's right to believe what they like ... as much as I defend people's rights to question them.
Toby_Jugg is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 21:18
KJ44
Forum Member

Actually, I would love to hear an atheist Thought for the Day. It should be five minutes of total silence.
300 seconds better then.
KJ44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 21:46
Chester666666
Forum Member

Why?
Atheists have beliefs - there's no god belief
Chester666666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 21:55
Sofajudge
Forum Member

The trouble is, I wonder how many care if people compare them to their religious counterparts. They probably have as poor a view of their critics as they do religious people.
I doubt they care a jot. To them they are right, everyone else is wrong. Just like the zealots.

Both are arrogant with their views.
Sofajudge is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 21:56
Thomas007
Forum Member

I'm an atheist and find some of them pretty annoying too.

I largely try to avoid the religious debates, I've been involved in one so far, but its rare.

Let people believe what they want to believe as far as I am concerned.
Thomas007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 22:03
jackthom
Forum Member

It pretty much already is in our household, provided I get to the radio quickly enough.
jackthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 22:04
Chester666666
Forum Member

I'm an atheist and find some of them pretty annoying too.

I largely try to avoid the religious debates, I've been involved in one so far, but its rare.

Let people believe what they want to believe as far as I am concerned.
As long as it doesn't harm or affect others
Chester666666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 22:22
Richard46
Forum Member

Really? personally I am all for keeping Thought for the day religious. A regular dose of Anne Atkins does more for atheism than I could ever do.
Old 22-05-2012, 22:31
SULLA
Forum Member

That's correct
I would not describe most religious groups as bad
DO you really believed that this ' forcing' goes on

atheism can never be a religion or described as militant
I agree with your first statement
SULLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 22:36
Stiffy78
Forum Member

I agree with your first statement
What requirements must be met in your opinion for something, e.g. atheism, to be labelled 'militant'?
Stiffy78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 22:59
SULLA
Forum Member

What requirements must be met in your opinion for something, e.g. atheism, to be labelled 'militant'?
Action.
SULLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 23:06
cherrytreeabc
Forum Member

If there was a rise in atheist attacks on religious people, then those blathering on about 'militant atheism' might have a case, but the harshest actions I've seen by these supposedly aggressive atheists are a few barbed words and some impatience.

Hardly in the same league as the September 11 attacks or the numerous inquisitions of the Catholic Church.
it's a bit naive believe that all the people that use religion for their own purpose (that don't have anything to do with the religion) are real religious people. they are just clever
cherrytreeabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 23:08
Hogzilla
Forum Member

Can it be banned?
God should smite the blighters. He's good at that.
Hogzilla is offline   Reply With Quote