Options

PVR 9200T Hard Disk Error/Switching On And Off

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
Forum Member
I've been reading the forum about this problem and would like to follow the advice in this thread http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=931226&highlight=9200+disk+error but my problem seems slightly different in that the Hummy keeps switching off and reloading every time the disk error message appears which seems to be about every 2 minutes.

I hope one of the gurus out there could tell me if my hard disk is kaput or if I could still go ahead and buy the USB to SATA/IDE cable to hopefully do a recovery first. But how if it keeps switching off every two minutes?

Comments

• Options
    Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doppa wrote: »
    I've been reading the forum about this problem and would like to follow the advice in this thread http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=931226&highlight=9200+disk+error but my problem seems slightly different in that the Hummy keeps switching off and reloading every time the disk error message appears which seems to be about every 2 minutes.
    The hard drive is probably at the end of its life and needs replacing (which isn't difficult).
    if I could still go ahead and buy the USB to SATA/IDE cable to hopefully do a recovery first.
    What are you hoping to do? If you want to download recorded programs then that should be possible but if you were hoping to fix the hard drive then I doubt you will have any luck.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your reply Martin.

I have over 100 recordings that I'd like to save - well maybe some of them could go!

But there has been no warning. Last night it just didn't record anything and only BBC1 was displaying - no other channels so at first I thought it might just be an aerial problem but then the dreaded Hard Disk Error appeared and then it started switching on and off every two minutes. Is that normal for the hard disk just to go completely without warning? All the other posts along these lines seem to suggest a gradual decline - at least with time to salvage the contents.

It is 6 years old but it's too young to die!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have over 100 recordings that I'd like to save - well maybe some of them could go!
    I think you stand a good chance of recovering most of them.
    But there has been no warning. Last night it just didn't record anything and only BBC1 was displaying - no other channels so at first I thought it might just be an aerial problem but then the dreaded Hard Disk Error appeared and then it started switching on and off every two minutes.
    The lack of other channels strikes me as odd. Have you tried doing a reset to default settings?
    Is that normal for the hard disk just to go completely without warning?
    I have known hard drives to fail suddenly but I agree gradual deterioration is more common.
    It is 6 years old but it's too young to die!
    I would have thought six years was a reasonable average life for a hard drive. A replacement from eBay should cost about £20 and give you perhaps 2 or 3 years more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The lack of other channels strikes me as odd. Have you tried doing a reset to default settings?

Yes, that's why I originally thought it could be just a reception problem but because it kept going off I needed to know which recordings were set before I reset the channels - but of course it didn't stay on long enough! I had hoped that maybe today when I switched it on it might have settled down again like others have reported thus giving me more time to consider my options. Alas it was still the same.

I'm not sure I'm techy enough to change the hard drive but if it definitely is kaput then I might have a bash.

Humax Direct have got one on eBay for £150 Grade A refurbished - heck that's not much less than I paid for mine new six years ago!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Now another problem. Yesterday it started switching off and on constantly every 60 seconds, even when it's in standby mode. I've had to switch off altogether to get it to stop. Does it sound like there's any hope?

I was going to reset it but it doesn't stay on long enough to do that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was going to reset it but it doesn't stay on long enough to do that.

This is a known problem, try removing the aerial and see if that gives you control for long enough to do the reset to default settings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks Martin, I'll try that tonight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This is a known problem, try removing the aerial and see if that gives you control for long enough to do the reset to default settings.

Unfortunately, that didn't have any effect. I don't think I can do a reset now as it isn't staying on long enough to get to the menu settings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, that didn't have any effect. I don't think I can do a reset now as it isn't staying on long enough to get to the menu settings.

Unsual. So what exactly happens when you turn it on with the aerial removed?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Unsual. So what exactly happens when you turn it on with the aerial removed?

Sorry, my mistake, it does seem to have cured the constant switching on and off problem (even when in standby) so thanks for that tip.

The hard disk error warning is now appearing almost instantly and thus I don't even have time to get into the menu to do a reset. I was thinking if I did manage to start a reset and the warning came up and it switched off while in the process, surely that would be worse than the position I'm in now?

Would it still be worth buying a USB to SATA IDE converter to try and recover the recordings and/or reset the hard disk that way?:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, my mistake, it does seem to have cured the constant switching on and off problem (even when in standby) so thanks for that tip.

The hard disk error warning is now appearing almost instantly and thus I don't even have time to get into the menu to do a reset. I was thinking if I did manage to start a reset and the warning came up and it switched off while in the process, surely that would be worse than the position I'm in now?
    Safest thing to do would be to open the box, disconnect the two connectors from the hard drive and then replace lid and boot box up without hard drive connected; this will allow you to do the reset. Be very cautious about running the box with the lid off as it is very easy to touch the power supply and destroy it.
    Would it still be worth buying a USB to SATA IDE converter to try and recover the recordings and/or reset the hard disk that way?
    Really hard to know in advance. I think you stand some chance of recovering recordings but little chance of making the hard drive usable. In your position my first priority would be to buy a replacement hard drive. You can then consider what to do about recovering things from the old drive at your leisure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you very much for all your help Martin. You're right, I need to get a replacement first.

Now that I've been looking at alternatives I was wondering whether to go down the HDR-FOX T2 route instead. It seems to be a 9200T with extras. Am I right? If not, then I may just look for another 9200T and/or try and fix the one I've got.

Thanks again!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now that I've been looking at alternatives I was wondering whether to go down the HDR-FOX T2 route instead. It seems to be a 9200T with extras. Am I right?
    Yes the HDR-FOX T2 is a very nice box where things pretty much just work.
    If not, then I may just look for another 9200T and/or try and fix the one I've got.

This is the drive you need Link to eBay. It comes down to whether you want to spend £250 for a very nice box or £30 to fix an adequate box.
  • Options
    MeMe Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was wondering whether to go down the HDR-FOX T2 route instead. It seems to be a 9200T with extras. Am I right?

No I think you're wrong - the HDR machine is, in my opinion, a far superior beast.

Don't get me wrong - I liked the 9200. I had one almost from the start and I was amazed at how Humax managed to keep updating it as the Freeview+ spec appeared. But it got to a point when it was really struggling to do all that was asked of it. And it was always dogged with the disk catalogue corruption problem.

Get the T2 - and even if you can't yet take advantage of HD you won't regret it. It does so much more, better and, as Martin says, it just works.
  • Options
    Old BlueOld Blue Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    Me wrote: »
    Get the T2 - and even if you can't yet take advantage of HD you won't regret it. It does so much more, better and, as Martin says, it just works.

Totally agree, I got a T2 a couple of months ago and it's fantastic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This is the drive you need Link to eBay.

Thanks for the link Martin. I've had a look and I also found a second hand one near to home for £9.99. They say it has been tested and refurbished. Do you think it worth the risk or would you stick to a brand new one? I've also seen some come up in a search that have a slightly different reference number but are they they same?

Me and Old Blue - I'm almost convinced to get one now!

I've seen a Grade A for £189 on Humax-Direct. What do you guys think? I've bought a 9200 Grade A for my other half and that was fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link Martin. I've had a look and I also found a second hand one near to home for £9.99. They say it has been tested and refurbished. Do you think it worth the risk or would you stick to a brand new one?
    It is a difficult call. I am surprised that the seller quoted has found brand new ones; as far as I know they haven't been in production for a year or two. I have had reasoanbly good experience buying from eBay disks that are said to have come from equipment where a larger drive has been fitted. I have also had awful exprience buying direct from reputable companies who have obviously been sold junk. It is a bit of a minefield and you have to be careful.
    I've also seen some come up in a search that have a slightly different reference number but are they they same?
    There are three different versions of the DB35; the one I linked to was (as far as I know) the latest type; others are likely to be older and personally I would avoid them.
    I've seen a Grade A for £189 on Humax-Direct. What do you guys think?
    You get a warranty so if there is anything wrong with it you get it exchanged.
  • Options
    Old BlueOld Blue Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    I've seen a Grade A for £189 on Humax-Direct. What do you guys think? I've bought a 9200 Grade A for my other half and that was fine.

Bought both my 9200 and T2 as grade A from Humax Direct with no problem. The 9200 is still going strong after 4 yrs daily use.

£189 is a great price (that's what I paid, too) for a great machine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It is a difficult call. I am surprised that the seller quoted has found brand new ones; as far as I know they haven't been in production for a year or two. There are three different versions of the DB35; the one I linked to was (as far as I know) the latest type; others are likely to be older and personally I would avoid them.

Yes Martin, the seller you suggested has them listed as brand new, factory sealed with one year warranty, so this may be the best bet if I do go ahead and fix mine.
    Old Blue wrote: »
    Bought both my 9200 and T2 as grade A from Humax Direct with no problem. The 9200 is still going strong after 4 yrs daily use. £189 is a great price (that's what I paid, too) for a great machine.

Yes Old Blue, I think I might take the plunge and order one on Monday and hopefully I should get it on Tuesday. I paid £199 for my 9200 six years ago so this one is even £10 cheaper!

I will still try and fix my 9200 because I can still use it on another TV if I manage to get it into full swing again.

Does anyone know where I could view a side-by-side comparison chart for the PVR 9200T and HDR-Fox T2 or can I just assume the HDR does everything the PVR does without any of the little foibles - and some more?

Also is it easier to transfer recordings onto your computer with this one?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know where I could view a side-by-side comparison chart for the PVR 9200T and HDR-Fox T2 or can I just assume the HDR does everything the PVR does without any of the little foibles - and some more?
    The only things the 9200 can do that the HDR does not are Picture in Picture (PiP) and there is no modulator to feed additional TVs via the aerial out. Additions include HD, DLNA client and server, portal that gives access to various Internet based services, most usefully BBC IPlayer.
    Also is it easier to transfer recordings onto your computer with this one?

Yes but be aware that all recordings are stored in encrypted format. SD recordings can be decrypted easily but HD recordings are trickier. There is active development of user community additional facilities over at the hummy.tv forum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The only things the 9200 can do that the HDR does not are Picture in Picture (PiP) and there is no modulator to feed additional TVs via the aerial out. Additions include HD, DLNA client and server, portal that gives access to various Internet based services, most usefully BBC IPlayer.

That's a shame about the PiP. I liked that feature although I must admit I didn't use it much.
    Yes but be aware that all recordings are stored in encrypted format. SD recordings can be decrypted easily but HD recordings are trickier. There is active development of user community additional facilities over at the hummy.tv forum.

Well that's some improvement but I don't know why they encrypt them in the first place. I can't see any logical reason; just to be awkward I suppose!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why they encrypt them in the first place. I can't see any logical reason; just to be awkward I suppose!

The reason is that the people who own the copyright to the programs insist on it. Every Freeview+ PVR must implement an encryption system so it is not something that Humax have control over.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The reason is that the people who own the copyright to the programs insist on it. Every Freeview+ PVR must implement an encryption system so it is not something that Humax have control over.

Oh right, I didn't realise that. Presumably that was introduced for digital recordings as they couldn't do anything when we all used videos.

Good news! I took the bull by the horns and decided to try a reset on the 9200 regardless of whether it went off or not while it was in progress and - guess what - it worked!

I know you're all going to tell me that it's still on the way out but at least now I've got some thinking time. I was going to get the HDR FOX T2 tomorrow but now I'm undecided. I may just look for a back up 9200 that I can use when or if it does it again but on the other hand...:D

It's been great having this forum and my thanks to you all, and Martin in particular, for all your help and suggestions.