DS Forums

What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Old 27-07-2015, 21:25
Will2911
Forum Member

Well, I don't hate it as such and have read some Third Person books. But, I can never enjoy them as much as a book written in First Person. I suppose it's the feeling of actually getting inside the narrators head and watching events unfold from their perspective that appeals to me.

So, what do you prefer First or Third? I shan't include Second as I've only read two books with significant portions of second person narrative...
Will2911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 27-07-2015, 21:37
trphil
Forum Member

I started writing mine in the third person but after one chapter I went back and changed to the first person, I thought it worked much better.
trphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 21:37
clm2071
Forum Member

I'm the opposite, much prefer third person over first.

I feel like I get the 'bigger picture' with third person, all down to personal preference I suppose.
clm2071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 09:31
CLL Dodge
Forum Member

Books in the 2nd person are fun.

Though I have only read one, "Molly Zero" by Keith Roberts.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Molly-Wildsi.../dp/1880448629
CLL Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 12:29
luckylila
Forum Member

I like both when they're written in the past tense - no real preference.

I can see what you're saying though, about feeling more 'inside' the action with the first person.

Gosh, it must be very limiting to dislike the third person narrative so much though. Such a lot of novels are written in it.

I've just read 'The Hypnotist's Love Story' by Liane Moriarty, which is written from two of the characters' perspectives, one in the first person and one in the third person. It's an unusual format, but I really enjoyed it.
luckylila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 14:31
pearlsandplums
Forum Member

I much prefer third.
In a first you can only get things form the narators point of view and it can only show things that they have seen.
pearlsandplums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 16:20
Granny McSmith
Forum Member

Books in the 2nd person are fun.

Though I have only read one, "Molly Zero" by Keith Roberts.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Molly-Wildsi.../dp/1880448629
No, that's just annoying.

I like both when they're written in the past tense - no real preference.

I agree about the past tense. A lot of books now seem to be in the present tense, and I really don't like that much.
Granny McSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 18:51
moonlily
Forum Member

I agree about the past tense. A lot of books now seem to be in the present tense, and I really don't like that much.
I hate present tense, I think it's supposed to make the story seem more realistic but for me it has the opposite effect- it grates
moonlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 19:44
Me-Cheetah
Forum Member

First person/present tense has become more popular of late. It puts the reader in the action so it's more immediate and personal. BUT a first person narrator is also known as 'an unreliable narrator' in that you only have their viewpoint, as opposed to a 'god like' third person - and as a writer first person can be restricting or demanding ( writing from a child's POV for example would be a challenge due to their limited vocab, experience and perceptions) Third person givers the writer more scope to build worlds, characters and observations.

Personally, I have no preference - as a writer I enjoy playing with first-third-past-present to see which combination is the best to tell the story.

As a reader, a good story is a story well told and so if I enjoy it, the author must have made the right choice as to how to tell it.
Me-Cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 18:35
Moll Flanders
Forum Member

I can't stand books written in the present tense and avoid them like the plague. I used to be a fan of Phillippa Gregory, until she started writing in the present tense. And I wouldn't read either of Hilary Mantel's two best-sellers, Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies, as they're present tense books, although I would read them otherwise.

I don't know if these present-tense authors realise how many people they're annoying.

As for the third person tense though, I don't mind it at all - although I prefer the first person.
Moll Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote