Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Old 29-11-2013, 15:34
the_lostprophet
Forum Member

is this as difficult to read as wolf hall?
I didn't find either difficult to read. On the contrary, I found the almost stream of consciousness style very readable. However if you didn't like the narrative style of Wolf Hall then you won't like Bring Up The Bodies as it is of course similar given that they're part of a trilogy.
the_lostprophet is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 30-11-2013, 01:18
jabegy
Forum Member

I read Wolf Hall a while ago, didn't like the style so didn't bother with Bring Up the Bodies.

I'm reading Gone Girl at the moment.
jabegy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 02:26
Jimmy_McNulty
Forum Member

Metro 2033. Pretty decent so far minus the translation mistakes.
Jimmy_McNulty is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 15:15
Beautiful_Harv
Forum Member

James Craig- Buckingham Palace Blues
Beautiful_Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 23:51
emj
Forum Member

I've just finished The Storyteller - Jodi Picoult. So well written; I was gripped throughout. Would definitely recommend.
emj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:48
timebug
Forum Member

Taking a break from reading all 12 of the Dennis Wheatley 'Roger Brook' series,to read 'The Tooth Tattoo' which is the 13th in the 'Peter Diamond' series by Peter Lovesey.
I have read all the police procedurals and detective novels that have been popular in my life time (and way before!) and I have to say that I find the Diamond series is probably my all time favourite.(Alongside Sherlock Holmes,of course!)
The overweight,balding,grumpy Superintendant from Bath always keeps me guessing,as well as entertained and amused!
timebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 14:59
SuperSpurs
Forum Member

Reading "Ashes" by Ilsa J. Black at the moment. It's pretty good. Young adult but don't let that put you off!

Then I have MaddAddam by Margaret Atwood waiting, can't wait
SuperSpurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 18:03
ack1990
Forum Member

Just finished 'The Perfect Location' by Kate Forster. Perfect if you're looking for something light, I quite enjoyed it.

I'm now attempting to read 'The Time Traveler's Wife' for the 3rd time. I'll see how it goes.
ack1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 21:36
TelevisionUser
Forum Member

His Robot Girlfriend by Allison Wesley set in the future when artificial companions or servants can be ordered at great expense. I'm a couple of chapters in and it's turning out to be an interesting read so far.
TelevisionUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:16
harry*half*pint
Forum Member

I've just finished The Storyteller - Jodi Picoult. So well written; I was gripped throughout. Would definitely recommend.
Reading this at the moment. Certainly a lot better than some of her books I've read in the past and seemingly a divergence from her usual plot lines (at the mo anyway )
harry*half*pint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 13:06
farmer bob
Forum Member

Dominion by C.J. Sansom
farmer bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 14:05
luckylila
Forum Member

Just finished 'The Perfect Location' by Kate Forster. Perfect if you're looking for something light, I quite enjoyed it.

I'm now attempting to read 'The Time Traveler's Wife' for the 3rd time. I'll see how it goes.
I'm in the middle of that now. Quite enjoying it but I'm finding it a bit too drawn out for my taste - I'd have preferred it to be a little shorter.
luckylila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 23:13
Cellar_Door
Forum Member

The Absolutely True Diet Of A Part Time Indian - Alexie Sherman.
Cellar_Door is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:46
kate03
Inactive Member

I've just started that- read first couple of chapters and it's very easy to read

also reading Maddadam- the third in Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake trilogy.
Dominion by C.J. Sansom
Easy read, moonlily? :s I've found the first couple of chapters a bit confusing getting my head around the fact that we've been taken over by the Germans and remembering all the political characters at that time. However, it's becoming an ever-increasing and compelling plot and getting better the more you get into it.

What do you both think of it so far?
kate03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 14:34
Smithy1204
Forum Member

Christmas Magic - Nora Roberts.

Not impressed by it. It's just a cheesy chick-lit book so I didn't exactly have high expectations anyway, but really disappointed in it.
Smithy1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 16:15
Mumof5
Forum Member

Mockingjay - third part of the Hunger Games Trilogy.

I've had the first two books sitting on my "to be read pile for quite a while after watching The Hunger Games last year. I went to See Catching Fire when it came out last Friday and have read all three books in the last 10 days as I loved the second film so much.

Got Crippen by John Boyne (he of The Boy in the Striped Pajamas) lined up next.
Mumof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 17:45
mimicole
Forum Member

I've just finished "Chart Throb" by Ben Elton and just started "Twilight" by Stephenie Meyer. Not the best written book in the world but it's light. Perfect to read of an evening with a cup of tea.
mimicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:02
farmer bob
Forum Member

Easy read, moonlily? :s I've found the first couple of chapters a bit confusing getting my head around the fact that we've been taken over by the Germans and remembering all the political characters at that time. However, it's becoming an ever-increasing and compelling plot and getting better the more you get into it.

What do you both think of it so far?
I've only just picked it up really, looks promising. I'll certainly stick with it.
farmer bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 17:39
LakieLady
Forum Member

I've just finished "The Goldfinch" by Donna Tartt and loved it. I galloped through it to see how it turned out, will read something completely different now, and then read it again.

Great story, complex but believable characters, big themes (love, loss, honesty, unintended consequences) but plenty of humour, wonderfully written, great twist at the end, very little predictable in it - fabulous book.

I heartily recommend it and would love to hear what others think.
LakieLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 18:47
Beautiful_Harv
Forum Member

Mark Watson- The Knot
Beautiful_Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 21:32
Kleist
Forum Member

I am also reading The Goldfinch, half way through 770 pages and never want it to end.
There are so many beauties in it, such a richness of character, people will be reading it in 200 years time.
Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:42
Beecosy
Forum Member

Ice Hunt - James Rollins
Beecosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 13:31
dosanjh1
Forum Member

Citizens Simon Schama - don't know anything about the French Revolution but Mr Schamas writing style is so engaging it doesn't matter.
dosanjh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 21:10
mimicole
Forum Member

Mockingjay - third part of the Hunger Games Trilogy.

I've had the first two books sitting on my "to be read pile for quite a while after watching The Hunger Games last year. I went to See Catching Fire when it came out last Friday and have read all three books in the last 10 days as I loved the second film so much.

Got Crippen by John Boyne (he of The Boy in the Striped Pajamas) lined up next.
I love series of books (I've moved on to "Philosopher's Stone" from the Harry Potter series since finishing the first "Twilight" book this afternoon). I'll probably buy The Hunger Games at some point. I'll be honest though, the first film didn't really grab me. Maybe it would have done if I had read the books previously. Are the books much better than the films?
mimicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 00:38
CLL Dodge
Forum Member

Dodger's Guide to London ~ Terry Pratchett.
CLL Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote