Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Old 26-02-2013, 07:35
Suzywong 63
Forum Member

I have just given up on A true haunting by Edwin F Becker,i was expecting to be scared to death after reading reviews but I found it just boring,maybe because fictional ghost stories I have read can be much scarier,i have now started Abiding evil by Alison Buck,which I have got into straight away.
Suzywong 63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 26-02-2013, 12:32
Heartache
Forum Member

Just finished Sepulchre by Kate Mosse, loved every minute of it, l always feel sad when l have enjoyed a book so much, to come to the end.
Have to decide who next.
Heartache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 19:51
crazysusan
Forum Member

Just finished Sepulchre by Kate Mosse, loved every minute of it, l always feel sad when l have enjoyed a book so much, to come to the end.
Have to decide who next.
I adored this book, brillant read. I feel the same when a good book ends, its sad.
crazysusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 23:08
TheManInWhite
Forum Member

Got both the following as birthday presents - someone knows me too well - and I had to break the spines on them ASAP. Great, interesting reads so far

- 'Survive!: Essential Skills and Tactics To Get You Out of Anywhere – Alive' – by [Canadian] Les Stroud.

- 'Mud, Sweat And Tears [The Autobiography]' – by Bear Grylls:

“….I thrived on the challenge. I wanted more…. I was exploring my limits and felt alive on that edge. I was never the fastest, the strongest or the best at anything, but that only served to fire me. I had a hunger to push myself, and I found that I could dig very deep when I needed to. I don’t really know where or how this huger came about, but I had it. I call it the ‘fire’.”

Love that extract, like the dude is describing me! Totally one of me heroes is ol’ Bear….
TheManInWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 01:54
slappers r us
Forum Member

Originally Posted by mulderfan;*****106
Close to the bone by Stuart MacBride-very good
Just finished it tonight

I agree that its very good
slappers r us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 06:32
Sue_C
Forum Member

I've just started The Gathering Night by Margaret Elphinstone. This is a story set in Scotland about 8000 years ago in the aftermath of a tsunami. Alaia is a member of a hunter gatherer family. One day her brother goes out hunting and fails to return, leaving the rest of the family struggling to cope with his loss.

It's not really grabbing me so far but I'm only a few pages in so it's early days yet.
Sue_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 13:42
Reddybook
Forum Member

Cupcakes at Carrringtons - Alexandra Brown

Undemanding chic lit about depatment store shenanigans approaching Valentines Day.
Quite a good read, made me lol in a few places.
Reddybook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 14:28
21stCenturyBoy
Forum Member

I got 6 books for under £10 from Amazon and they've been arriving in spits and spats over the past few days.

I'm either going to start on The Bottle Factory Outing by Beryl Bainbridge (an author I've always wanted to try, but never got round too) or The Talk Of The Town by Ardal O'Hanlon.
21stCenturyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 14:56
SilvioDante
Inactive Member

Got both the following as birthday presents - someone knows me too well - and I had to break the spines on them ASAP. Great, interesting reads so far

- 'Survive!: Essential Skills and Tactics To Get You Out of Anywhere – Alive' – by [Canadian] Les Stroud.

- 'Mud, Sweat And Tears [The Autobiography]' – by Bear Grylls:

“….I thrived on the challenge. I wanted more…. I was exploring my limits and felt alive on that edge. I was never the fastest, the strongest or the best at anything, but that only served to fire me. I had a hunger to push myself, and I found that I could dig very deep when I needed to. I don’t really know where or how this huger came about, but I had it. I call it the ‘fire’.”

Love that extract, like the dude is describing me! Totally one of me heroes is ol’ Bear….
Ray Mears kicks ol' bears ass every time.
SilvioDante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 20:09
Snappysnapsnap
Forum Member

The Regulators by Richard Bachman/Stephen King.
Snappysnapsnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 10:49
MissMusique
Forum Member

I'm currently reading Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. It's ok so far - I don't think it'll be my favourite book ever, but it's an enjoyable story with a good pace so far. Leaves you in the dark enough to wonder what's going on without being really infuriating!!
MissMusique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 14:38
the_lostprophet
Forum Member

Ray Mears kicks ol' bears ass every time.
I disagree - Bear is awesome! People do seem to be on one side or the other with these two though.
the_lostprophet is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 15:36
Johnny Clay
Forum Member

Just finished:

The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen: Big, wandering and wonderful. Always good to find out all the fuss and hype was actually warranted.

Three to see the King by Magnus Mills: Lovely, deadpan stuff that builds to a fabulous pay-off. And as always with Mills, far more complex than it first appears.
Johnny Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 22:24
Yvie123
Forum Member

A Game of Thrones by George R R Martin

Not my usual type of genre but I was tempted by all the rave reviews.
I'm only a few chapters into it and so far I love the author's style - vividly descriptive whilst still keeping the story flowing.
I'm hoping it becomes easy to follow all the different characters that are emerging, and how they all relate to each other, though!
Yvie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:38
KT-Williams
Forum Member

A Stolen Life - By Jacee Dugard. Poor little mite, true story of how she was taken by sex offender Phillip Guarrdo at 11 years old, she was kept captive till she was 28.
KT-Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:09
Lizzy11268
Forum Member

I disagree - Bear is awesome! People do seem to be on one side or the other with these two though.
Not me I love both
Lizzy11268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:50
Cellar_Door
Forum Member

Cracked open the fourth book of the fever series last night, Dreamfever by Karen Marie Moning, and up to now I'm enjoying it as much as the previous 3 of the series. I usually find a dud of a book when committing to a series but I've been pleasantly surprised this time around.
Cellar_Door is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 16:32
RecordPlayer
Forum Member

Harriet - Elizabeth Jenkins. A compelling read.
RecordPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 17:08
Lewi26
Forum Member

I got gypsy boy for Christmas but had not read it until this week, what an incredible book! I finished it in 2 days and went straight out to buy gypsy boy on the run which I have just finished. The books are a roller coaster of emotions and I just couldn't put them down. I highly recommend it
Lewi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 19:06
welshsarah
Forum Member

The War Is Over - maureen Lee
welshsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 20:25
Suzywong 63
Forum Member

The War Is Over - maureen Lee
I love Maureen Lee books,so easy to get right into,i havnt read one for ages,i must see if they have any bargains for Kindle.
Suzywong 63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 20:30
GiraffeGirl
Forum Member

I'm currently reading Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. It's ok so far - I don't think it'll be my favourite book ever, but it's an enjoyable story with a good pace so far. Leaves you in the dark enough to wonder what's going on without being really infuriating!!
You've pretty much summed up my thoughts on this book

I'm currently reading Lizzy Harrison Loses Control - it's better than I thought it would be so far.
GiraffeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 21:07
Lizzy11268
Forum Member

I'm reading "Currency" by an author, L Todd Wood, who followed me on Twitter - its his first book and I have to say I'm really enjoying it. I get quite a lot of new authors following me and plugging their books, I tend to give them a go if its not too expensive for the Kindle (mostly they are not) and there have been some totally awful ones, but sometimes there is a little gem. This one is shaping up that way.
Lizzy11268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:25
Beautiful_Harv
Forum Member

Rachel Hore- The Dream House
Beautiful_Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 15:49
susie-4964
Forum Member

JK Rowling's "The Casual Vacancy", and hating it so far. Good story, appalling characterization. Just finished "Gone Girl", which I thought was brilliant.
susie-4964 is offline   Reply With Quote