AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    [highlight]Weekend Multichannel Ratings[/highlight]

Sunday 10th June
    BBC Three

22:00 - Family Guy: 1.05m (4.9%)

Good rating for Family Guy. I'm hoping the BBC lose the rights soon. The fact they don't show it in HD is annoying and we have to wait so long for the new series that I've seen all but 1 episode online anyway.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly. I skipped over all the Voice discussion on this thread as I got bored of reading about the programme. Simple.

However, I've found the discussions of 80s and 90s programming and ratings fascinating today. The posts have been really interesting. As well as Soldier Soldier, Peak Practice etc. I can remember other dramas such as Bad Girls, Footballers Wives, At Home with the Braithwaites that dominated the ITV schedules. Bad Girls would run for 16 episodes a year, so it would be on for 16 weeks a year (running over 4 months) that would be unthinkable for an ITV drama now.

I get a bit tired with the endless X Factor threads and tend to skip them, but he ho, this is what the forum is for and the nostalgia trip was good. Bad Girls is more recent, but I will admit it was good. Soldier Soldier was another that did the business for ITV and pulled in 16.5 million at its height.
    However, the noughties saw a BBC fightback that is still very strong today and ITV1, while still producing a few drama hits, isn't so strong in the genre if you discount the soaps.
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I get a bit tired with the endless X Factor threads and tend to skip them, but he ho, this is what the forum is for and the nostalgia trip was good. Bad Girls is more recent, but I will admit it was good. Soldier Soldier was another that did the business for ITV and pulled in 16.5 million at its height.
    However, the noughties saw a BBC fightback that is still very strong today and ITV1, while still producing a few drama hits, isn't so strong in the genre if you discount the soaps.

I was too young to remember the likes of Soldier Soldier and London's Burning so it's interesting to read how popular they were! Bad Girls and At Home with the Braithwaites programmes are my early memories of watching ITV1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was too young to remember the likes of Soldier Soldier and London's Burning so it's interesting to read how popular they were! Bad Girls and At Home with the Braithwaites programmes are my early memories of watching ITV1.

You'd have liked ITV in the nineties, but your noughties choices are good and rated well.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,675
    Forum Member
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Good rating for Family Guy. I'm hoping the BBC lose the rights soon. The fact they don't show it in HD is annoying and we have to wait so long for the new series that I've seen all but 1 episode online anyway.
    Didn't they only just recently renew the rights? I think it's safe.

Bit odd that they don't show it in HD. I'm sure they did last season.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think ITV moving News at Ten started the decline of ITV's drama - BBC One quickly took advantage by moving the Nine O'Clock News to ten and suddenly ITV1's 9pm dramas had bigger opposition that previously in new dramas etc.

Of course ITV drama isn't dead but it isn't in such a healthy state as it once was, as has been said.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's life in this show yet and it has been an asset to Channel 4.

You know it has been cancelled? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Seven
    18:00 Seven News: 1.54m
    18:30 Today Tonight: 1.29m
    20:30 Revenge: 1.21m

Nine
    18:00 Nine News: 1.27m
    18:30 A Current Affair: 1.13m
    19:00 The Block: 1.48m
    19:30 The Voice: Semi-Final: 2.15m
    21:30 Tricky Business: 1.09m

Ten
    19:00 MasterChef Australia: 1.08m

Source: Mediaweek.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know it has been cancelled? :confused:

They've got nine years out of it, but yes it's shelf life is up. Must have kept the money rolling in for Teri Hatcher.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    On The Subject of London's Burning wasn't there a rumour that it could come back?
    Highly popular show that ran for Years then ITV ruined it :(
    I still feel ripped off by the final episode aswell. I felt an Iconic show should have had a better ending than that

I still have a gap on Sundays at 9:cry:

I remember a similar programe that replaced it. Riverside Blue or something to that affect? Didn't work though as it was rubbish

Soldier Soldier was also another good programe but then with Robson Green and Co onto other things i doubt it will ever make a come back.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    So Matt Barbet is moving to Daybreak to present the 6am hour. He'll get less viewers there than he does on 5 News at 5 but probably more money.

No surprise given he had a good relationship with the old 5 News editor who now works on Daybreak.

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/pressreleases/programmepressreleases/daybreakranvirsinghandmattbarbet/default.html
    Another reason to watch BBC Breakfast. He's terrible so should fit in just fine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Maybe there should be a "Ratings Thread: Gold", to discuss classic ratings seperately?

I'm sure there's more of a call for a "Ratings Thread: Talent Shows" thread seeing how for the most of the year this place ends up becoming a proxy talent show thread.
  • Options
    allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    dan2008 wrote: »
    On The Subject of London's Burning wasn't there a rumour that it could come back?
    Highly popular show that ran for Years then ITV ruined it :(
    I still feel ripped off by the final episode aswell. I felt an Iconic show should have had a better ending than that

I still have a gap on Sundays at 9:cry:

I remember a similar programe that replaced it. Riverside Blue or something to that affect? Didn't work though as it was rubbish

Soldier Soldier was also another good programe but then with Robson Green and Co onto other things i doubt it will ever make a come back.

Steel River Blues. Didn't really do that well, mind you. I agree, the ending of LB was poor and when I watched it on DMAX a couple of years ago, but they had cut the budget so much and put so many fake CGI fires in there, a far cry from the pyrotechnics which dominated the 90s and early 00 episodes.
    Fudd wrote: »
    I think ITV moving News at Ten started the decline of ITV's drama - BBC One quickly took advantage by moving the Nine O'Clock News to ten and suddenly ITV1's 9pm dramas had bigger opposition that previously in new dramas etc.

Of course ITV drama isn't dead but it isn't in such a healthy state as it once was, as has been said.

That's interesting, because even as early that the 00s, I thought of ITV as the home of drama. It seems moving the 9 o'Clock News seemed to have a good effect and dented ITV drama. There were a few BBC dramas I liked during this period like Down to Earth for example.

On the subject of Australian ratings though, what happened to Masterchef Australia? Overkill or burnout or what? It was getting 2m+ not long ago in Australia. Seemed badly dented by The Voice as it happens but it's been declining slightly for a while.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the subject of Australian ratings though, what happened to Masterchef Australia? Overkill or burnout or what? It was getting 2m+ not long ago in Australia. Seemed badly dented by The Voice as it happens but it's been declining slightly for a while.

There is an article about it on TV Tonight explaining this (http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2012/06/whats-the-problem-with-masterchef.html). Having the show on for six times a week (although Friday is a masterclass and that one typically gets lower than usual ratings) is a big ask for viewers and fans to commit for about 15 weeks. Another reason is the competition. Masterchef is head-to-head with The Block on Nine. The Block typically gets 1.2-1.5m almost every night and that might be the dent cause. Outside broadcast TV, there are also multichannels (esp. with TBBT repeat on GO! constantly doing well) and cable shows as well.

Lots of people have been saying this year's season is much better than last year. The challenges, cast and the whole atmosphere has pretty much lifted its game up, not entirely but getting there. Last year's season pretty much pissed everyone off (including myself), with bullshit immunity challenges, unnecessary drama in judging and the contestants were literally unlikeable. I think I gave up halfway last season and read recaps online for the remainder of its run. So, I think some people are done with the show because of this.

That and also the erosion of it as the season goes by. However, in Masterchef's case, as one commenter mentioned on TV Tonight, if it declines by 200-300k year-by-year, that is typical. However, losing as much as 700k is causing a concern for Ten. Masterchef is still performing strong in key adult demos, but who knows if that will continue in a few years time. Seven should also be nervous about My Kitchen Rules next year as I said before, viewers were very unhappy with this year's season.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone seen any recent ratings for Daybreak v BBC Breakfast, just wondering if the move to Salford has had any effect on the audience. Also does the revamp of Daybreak (yet again) mean the end of Garraway ?
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,026
    Forum Member
    [highlight]Weekend Multichannel Ratings[/highlight]
    Friday 8th June 2012
    BBC Three
    20:30 - FILM: The Accidental Husband: 519k (2.3%)
    22:00 - EastEnders: 716k (3.5%)
    22:30 - Russell Howard's Good News Extra: 610k (3.6%)
    23:15 - Family Guy: 890k (7.1%)
    23:35 - Family Guy: 961k (9.8%)
    24:00 - American Dad: 650k (8.4%)
    24:20 - American Dad: 670k (11.4%)

<snip>

Am I right in thinking in general there is not much difference between BBC3 and C5 ratings?

For example aren't the ratings for Family Guy at 23:15 greater than the new Marco food programme on C5?

With E4 getting regular ratings of around 1.5m and ITV 3 getting over 1m is the shift of viewing habits switching faster now analogue is being switched off?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Link: http://www.ozap.com/actu/euro-2012-jusqu-a-14-millions-de-telespectateurs-pour-france-angleterre/441362

In France, 10.3 million viewers (50.2% share) watched the France vs England match on TF1. It reached 14 million viewers by 7:50pm (France time).

I wonder how the match performed in the UK last night.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's fair to say there were some hefty multichannel shares over the weekend. Thanks to ITV Media as well as they are the only site I think to provide Top 10's for both charts. :)

Indeed 9% combined share for ITV2/3/4 on Sunday (3.4%; 3.4%; 2.2%)
  • Options
    newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    paltonz wrote: »
    There is an article about it on TV Tonight explaining this (http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2012/06/whats-the-problem-with-masterchef.html). Having the show on for six times a week (although Friday is a masterclass and that one typically gets lower than usual ratings) is a big ask for viewers and fans to commit for about 15 weeks. Another reason is the competition. Masterchef is head-to-head with The Block on Nine. The Block typically gets 1.2-1.5m almost every night and that might be the dent cause. Outside broadcast TV, there are also multichannels (esp. with TBBT repeat on GO! constantly doing well) and cable shows as well.

Lots of people have been saying this year's season is much better than last year. The challenges, cast and the whole atmosphere has pretty much lifted its game up, not entirely but getting there. Last year's season pretty much pissed everyone off (including myself), with bullshit immunity challenges, unnecessary drama in judging and the contestants were literally unlikeable. I think I gave up halfway last season and read recaps online for the remainder of its run. So, I think some people are done with the show because of this.

That and also the erosion of it as the season goes by. However, in Masterchef's case, as one commenter mentioned on TV Tonight, if it declines by 200-300k year-by-year, that is typical. However, losing as much as 700k is causing a concern for Ten. Masterchef is still performing strong in key adult demos, but who knows if that will continue in a few years time. Seven should also be nervous about My Kitchen Rules next year as I said before, viewers were very unhappy with this year's season.

I wonder if last season effected Masterchef and put people off. It was very obvious that the producers had their favourites and kept the likes of Ellie & Dani in until the end. It really annoyed viewers. Also the talent last year was very poor and the challenges, especially the final were lame.

I think constantly increasing the number of episodes is a mistake it's just oo much of a commitment.
  • Options
    rztrzt Posts: 21,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    France v England match peaked with 15.26m (60.4%) at 18:45.

More soon...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rzt wrote: »

Wow, I didn't do too bad.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rzt wrote: »

More soon...

Audience looks healthy, but the percentage share looks quite low for the peak I have to say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Excellent peak. Average could be much lower I feel due to the 4pm hour of buildup. Lots of people still at work etc.
  • Options
    rztrzt Posts: 21,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monday 11th June - Euro 2012 Overnights
    BBC One
    19:00- Match of the Day Live: Ukraine v Sweden: 5.27m (22.4%)
    * match average: 6.37m (26.1%)
    * peak: 7.45m (31.0%) at 21:30

ITV1
    16:00- Euro 2012 Live: France v England: 8.90m (47.1%) , +1: 51k (0.2%)
    * match average: 12.60m (57.7%)
    * peak: 15.26m (60.4%) at 18:45

Euro 2012 Update:
    [b]Date & Time............Teams (Channel).............Broadcast.......Match...........Peak...........[/b]
    Fri 08/6 16:15-19:00...Poland v Greece (BBC1).....4.26m (27.5%)...5.07m (30.1%)...6.54m (32.7%)...
    Fri 08/6 19:15-22:00...Russia v Czech (ITV1)......4.54m (20.5%)...5.40m (23.9%)...5.89m (25.4%)...
    Sat 09/6 16:30-19:10...Holland v Denmark (BBC1)...5.62m (36.2%)...6.29m (38.9%)...7.59m (41.0%)...
    Sat 09/6 19:30-22:00...Germany v Portugal (BBC1)..7.69m (35.1%)...8.48m (38.2%)...9.30m (39.8%)...
    Sun 10/6 16:05-19:00...Spain v Italy (ITV1).......5.83m (32.0%)...7.52m (37.3%)...9.12m (40.4%)...
    Sun 10/6 19:15-22:00...Ireland v Croatia (ITV1)...6.60m (26.7%)...7.73m (30.5%)...8.36m (33.3%)...
    Mon 11/6 16:00-19:30...France v England (ITV1)....8.90m (47.1%)...12.60m (57.7%)..15.26m (60.4%)...
    Mon 11/6 19:00-22:00...Ukraine v Sweden (BBC1)....5.27m (22.4%)...6.37m (26.1%)...7.45m (31.0%)...

• Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Audience looks healthy, but the percentage share looks quite low for the peak I have to say.

Seriously? That's great for a match on a weekday outside primetime. Very impressive.
This discussion has been closed.