Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

What are you drinking at the moment? (Part 3)

Old Yesterday, 00:20
EternalFlame
Forum Member

Generally, like a lot of people, i highly dislike the taste of alcohol. I only drink socially, but recently have found myself drinking more (no binge drinking or unhealthy amounts, it would still count as less than a lot of young females). I enjoy drinking red wine, and that is now my regular go to drink, but I still have trouble getting it past my lips without inwardly wretching or screwing up my face. How can I get used to the taste of it? I know drinking it regularly or with food would be the obvious solutions, can you guys recommend anything else?
EternalFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old Yesterday, 00:43
Hypnodisc
Forum Member

Generally, like a lot of people, i highly dislike the taste of alcohol. I only drink socially, but recently have found myself drinking more (no binge drinking or unhealthy amounts, it would still count as less than a lot of young females). I enjoy drinking red wine, and that is now my regular go to drink, but I still have trouble getting it past my lips without inwardly wretching or screwing up my face. How can I get used to the taste of it? I know drinking it regularly or with food would be the obvious solutions, can you guys recommend anything else?
I don't really understand what you're asking - your taste buds are what they are. Some people don't enjoy some tastes.

If you don't enjoy the taste of red wine then drink something else?

Or maybe purchase a higher quality red wine that tastes nicer?

I know some people chill red wine or add ice/mixers (unbelievably to me), so maybe this would be another solution of some sort.

Again though, if you have to go to those lengths I don't know why you don't just have something else wine should be enjoyed not forced down
Hypnodisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:04
pearlsandplums
Forum Member

start on rose. its a gateway wine.
when I was a student I wanted to drink beer so started off drinking one pint every night out and worked up to it being my drink of choice
that said ive tried the same with olives and no luck
pearlsandplums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:31
bspace
Forum Member

when I was a student I wanted to drink beer so started off drinking one pint every night out and worked up to it being my drink of choice
maybe try starting off with less than a pint
bspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:36
Volk
Forum Member

I am teetotal and always have been. Just never liked the taste on the scarce occasion I did try alcohol, so I just never started. I believe alcohol to be a legal poison and just another weapon with which the government keeps the masses in control.

My girlfriend's mum loves her wine and I remember I tried a sip once out of the fridge. Never again. Does anyone actually enjoy that stuff?
Volk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:27
Hypnodisc
Forum Member

I am teetotal and always have been. Just never liked the taste on the scarce occasion I did try alcohol, so I just never started. I believe alcohol to be a legal poison and just another weapon with which the government keeps the masses in control.

My girlfriend's mum loves her wine and I remember I tried a sip once out of the fridge. Never again. Does anyone actually enjoy that stuff?
How does that one work then?
Hypnodisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:12
pugamo
Forum Member

Do you really enjoy drinking wine or do you want to be seen drinking wine? If the former, there is no problem. If the latter, be yourself and drink what you like.
pugamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:33
walterwhite
Forum Member

Are you for real?
walterwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:58
fefster
Forum Member

Tin foil hat for Volk please
fefster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 13:26
Menk
Forum Member

This is a good suggestion. Red wine is a bit more of a grown up drink, so I would start with a rose spritzer - you can even spritzer it with lemonade which I've never tried but it will make it sweeter which is maybe what the OP is looking for.

As I'm getting older I find that while I still like wine, I prefer less alcohol content and always add lots of ice (to white or rose) and soda water. I never drink cheap wine (this is possibly a problem if you are drinking in pubs as the wine is usually poor quality) because I can't take the roughness.

But I also agree with finding a drink you do like. There are so many drinks which cater for people who are not keen on traditional drinks (alcopops, fruit ciders etc) that there is no need to be forcing down something you are not yet ready for. Most young females start on 'silly' drinks (martini and lemonade in my day!) so there is no shame in it.
Menk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 19:33
sarahj1986
Forum Member

There's certain things in life we will never like. OP if you don't like it don't drink it!

I was never one for wine, until I had a bottle of White Zinfandel rose and I discovered I was trying the wrong types. Before I'd had dry white wines and I didn't like that, sweeter wines yes I enjoy. Red wine however I will never enjoy

Just try different types you might find one you like, if not then don't drink it
sarahj1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 20:08
moonlily
Forum Member

If you don't like it don't drink it, there are lots of alternative adult type soft drinks, elderflower and similar.
moonlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 23:53
eggplant
Forum Member

This is a good suggestion. Red wine is a bit more of a grown up drink, so I would start with a rose spritzer - you can even spritzer it with lemonade which I've never tried but it will make it sweeter which is maybe what the OP is looking for.

As I'm getting older I find that while I still like wine, I prefer less alcohol content and always add lots of ice (to white or rose) and soda water. I never drink cheap wine (this is possibly a problem if you are drinking in pubs as the wine is usually poor quality) because I can't take the roughness.

But I also agree with finding a drink you do like. There are so many drinks which cater for people who are not keen on traditional drinks (alcopops, fruit ciders etc) that there is no need to be forcing down something you are not yet ready for. Most young females start on 'silly' drinks (martini and lemonade in my day!) so there is no shame in it.
Martini and lemonade We are obviously of the same vintage.
eggplant is offline   Reply With Quote