Options

Dallas on Channel 5

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 250
Forum Member
Any news on when this is likely to air, other than the rumoured date of the Autumn? I know 5 have got Big Brother on just now, but I'd have thought that they would have started the promotional build up by now - TNT were doing it a year ahead of broadcast.

Comments

• Options
    TORPIDO 1TORPIDO 1 Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    somebody said autumn
  • Options
    Martin1Martin1 Posts: 8,334
    Forum Member
    keithl wrote: »
    Any news on when this is likely to air,
    Channel Five will screen the 10-part series in the UK in September
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18421737
  • Options
    Tom123Tom123 Posts: 1,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if there can be anything on tv nowadays WITHOUT John Barrowman
  • Options
    LifeOfBryanLifeOfBryan Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm watching at US pace and of course I will not give anything away but just say that if you liked the original, you will love this. It's great!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup....It's quite good, a lot better than I expected it to be.
  • Options
    5 a day5 a day Posts: 12,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's ok (so far, from what I have seen). But those who are expecting a big-budget, big cast show like the original, may be disappointed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which has more to do with the tv landscape at the time. Dallas was groundbreaking back then. Obviously it isn't anymore.
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 a day wrote: »
    I think it's ok (so far, from what I have seen). But those who are expecting a big-budget, big cast show like the original, may be disappointed.

Dallas never was a big budget, big cast show. Most episodes featured the regular cast and one or two regular additional characters and that was it, and one of the big advantages of the whole Ewing clan living on Southfork is of course they didn't need to build loads of different sets.

The story of the original is there, the big difference is that the production methods of modern TV drama have come leaps and bounds since 1991. One of the big ones being "daylight" lighting of sets and filming exterior scenes on location. Many of the exterior scenes in Dallas were filmed indoors in a mock Southfork exterior set.
  • Options
    LifeOfBryanLifeOfBryan Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 a day wrote: »

Big cast? Well they have got all the originals back who are still alive and added some new young heart throbs.

As for budget, I can't say I've seen any changes. They still sit around and argue in offices, hotel rooms and on the patio at SouthFork. So no change at all.
  • Options
    TheSwordTheSword Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom123 wrote: »

Yes, EURO 2012 :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big cast? Well they have got all the originals back who are still alive and added some new young heart throbs.

As for budget, I can't say I've seen any changes. They still sit around and argue in offices, hotel rooms and on the patio at SouthFork. So no change at all.

If you've ever listened to the DVD commentaries for the infamous episodes like "A House Divided", Patrick Duffy loved taking the piss out of the doors, that were unrealisticly bland and awful for house supposedly as grand as Southfork. :D
  • Options
    rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheSword wrote: »
    Yes, EURO 2012 :)

Don't rule him out, His brother was an international footballer :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More details about the 2 x 30min behind the scenes shows

http://www.easier.com/104395-john-barrowmans-dallas.html
  • Options
    thetvkingthetvking Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    The UK Dallas air date looks like it will be Sunday 2nd September, taking over from Once Upon a Time on Channel 5
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    It starts Wednesday 5th September at 9pm.
  • Options
    thetvkingthetvking Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    The Sunday slot will be JOHN BARROWMAN'S DALLAS form 7:55PM to 9PM
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will watch it just to see if it will be any good.
    I used to watch Dallas on the BBC in the 80s untill it was axed in the early 90s.

Darren
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thetvking wrote: »
    The Sunday slot will be JOHN BARROWMAN'S DALLAS form 7:55PM to 9PM

Is that a repeat of the programme airing on 29th Aug?
  • Options
    leslie123leslie123 Posts: 2,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has it been filmed in HD and will Channel 5 show it in HD?
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leslie123 wrote: »
    Has it been filmed in HD and will Channel 5 show it in HD?

Yes and yes. As long as you've got Sky HD or Virgin HD.
  • Options
    Chabby_BoonaChabby_Boona Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    It starts Wednesday 5th September at 9pm.

This to me makes sense as it was always shown on BBC1 Wednesday evenings, but I think 8pm and not 9pm.

It will be great because it fills the gap for people who missed Dallas characters and like shows such as Desperate Housewives...and I hear the storylines are very good to keep you watching.

I shall watch and see if it lives up to the hype, I hope.
  • Options
    Chabby_BoonaChabby_Boona Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ney wrote: »
    I will watch it just to see if it will be any good.
    I used to watch Dallas on the BBC in the 80s untill it was axed in the early 90s.

Darren

Well Darren, it went crazy and crap. I think this new Dallas will be more like Desperate Housewives with interesting stories that keep you wondering and watching, more mystery stories.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Darren, it went crazy and crap. I think this new Dallas will be more like Desperate Housewives with interesting stories that keep you wondering and watching, more mystery stories.

This definitely isn't crazy and crap Dallas. The storyline of the first series harks right back to the early storylines of first few seasons and even though they are both long dead you can still feel the presence of Jock and Miss Ellie in the show.

Its Dallas at its best, a power struggle for Southfork and the family fortune.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,720
    Forum Member
    Tom123 wrote: »
    I think I can safely state, as fact, that there are more programmes on TV without John Barrowman in them than there with :rolleyes: