Options

Blackout, BBC1&HD 9pm, 2-9-16 Jul

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01klvq6

DS preview http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/interviews/a389830/myanna-buring-blackout-qa-it-has-a-film-noir-edge.html

Terrific cast. Anything with Christopher Ecclestone is wirth a look. Started the thread in case it isn't bumped by Wimbledon!

Comments

• Options
    GravitasGravitas Posts: 1,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah! Someone has put a thread up. Was just going to give heads-up and done a google.

The Mail and MoS gave it 4 stars.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No further play on Centre Court after Djokovic-Troicki match, so no danger this will be bumped for another Murray-a-thon !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's grabbed my attention and made me stop my crossword.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Doctor ramming a woman up the arse... :eek:
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm watching this. It's a bit grim verging toward the manic.
  • Options
    cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wanted to like this, but the shameless infodumping in the first few scenes put me right off! :)
  • Options
    vinnyutd6899vinnyutd6899 Posts: 108
    Forum Member

Thats Alcoholism .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

and that is just the camera work. :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really struggling to stay interested in this.

Moriarty, though. :D
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. The whole point of a psychological thriller is to leave most of the terror in the mind of the viewer and just hint at it. Imagination is much more powerful than blood, gore and guns. This is very in-your-face and doesn't really work because of that.

I don't know what he's supposed to be drinking but it sure isn't booze - considering how coherent his speech is and that he manages to drive in straight lines. :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jy1541 wrote: »
    Really struggling to stay interested in this.

Moriarty, though. :D

It's trying to be very arty and earnest..... I am not that keen at the moment. Staying with it for a bit to see if it improves :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Must have been the world's longest corridor.
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    petely wrote: »
    Yes. The whole point of a psychological thriller is to leave most of the terror in the mind of the viewer and just hint at it. Imagination is much more powerful than blood, gore and guns. This is very in-your-face and doesn't really work because of that.

I don't know what he's supposed to be drinking but it sure isn't booze - considering how coherent his speech is and that he manages to drive in straight lines. :confused:

Vodka probably, he's a functioning alcoholic, there are many of them about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems to rain all the time.
  • Options
    Yorkshire.KingYorkshire.King Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Missed it, dont have iPlayer access at mo, any sign of a repeat?
  • Options
    Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems to rain all the time.

Very Blade-runner-esque
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats Alcoholism .

He's sobered up now he's out of hospital.;)
    and that is just the camera work. :mad:

The camera work reminds me of comic/ graphic novel books. close-up and angled frames. Not really something I like on screen.
    petely wrote: »

Yes, I agree.

I can't work out where they're living. It looks like a made up world.There are shots of Manhattan (America) yet I think it's supposed to be England.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it is raining it must be Manchester!

A good first part. It will be interesting to see how/if it all falls apart for him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christopher Ecclestone is a class actor. It would have been awful with a lesser one. Good enough to watch again next week.
  • Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really liked it but then I'd watch Christopher Ecclestone read out the yellow pages.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't see when it's going to be repeated, but surely they must with something this good.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Can't see when it's going to be repeated, but surely they must with something this good.

Tell us when you find the repeat, missed it, sounds like it's worth a go.
    Otherwise I'll have to download off Iplayer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last time I saw CE do something this good was when he did the impassioned piece with the dalek.
    Damn he's good, and had to be the most passionate Doc ever.

I could easily see him in a remake of Life on Mars, only with bit darker portrayal of Sam Tyler.
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't work out where they're living. It looks like a made up world.There are shots of Manhattan (America) yet I think it's supposed to be England.

I read an article about it which said it is a fantasy city based on Gotham City.

Found the article:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2012/jun/27/christopher-eccleston-blackout-antigone

I don't get why Line of Duty is on BBC2 but this is on BBC1? They seem quite similar to me, apart from the arty direction of this one and all the flashbacks and stuff. Nice to have two decent drama serials on the BBC at the moment, anyway.