Options

Rhod Sharp Question

mjdj1689mjdj1689 Posts: 3,305
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just wondering if anyone know where on 5 lives up all night show where Rhod Sharp broadcasts his show from , as he is not on the cam for the studio?

Comments

• Options
    RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mjdj1689 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone know where on 5 lives up all night show where Rhod Sharp broadcasts his show from , as he is not on the cam for the studio?
    He broadcasts from his home in the town of Marblehead United States.
    http://www.salemnews.com/lifestyle/x1690078850/And-now-for-a-BBC-reporter-who-is-completely-different

You weren't the only one who didn't know.
  • Options
    able1able1 Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How much longer will his dull, disinterested delivery be allowed?

He sounds like he is purely going through the motions for 90% of the time.

His interview technique appears to be asking a prepared question, and whilst the interviewee gives a detailed response he is reading through his next question and then gives a lazy "hmmm" response before asking that next question.

A camera in the studio would probably reveal him feet up, smoking jacket on and laughing at his bank account total.

Money for old rope.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Recently he did present a programme at the new studios in Salford and did the whole show standing up...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    able1 wrote: »

His interview technique appears to be asking a prepared question, and whilst the interviewee gives a detailed response he is reading through his next question and then gives a lazy "hmmm" response before asking that next question.

A camera in the studio would probably reveal him feet up, smoking jacket on and laughing at his bank account total.

Money for old rope.
    I think you're very much in the minority. Although I'm sure others will come along.
  • Options
    old pilotold pilot Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Money for old rope.

The production team are in Salford where the programme is produced. Research briefs and questions will be delivered via computer link.

Frankly I think it is wrong for a mainstream daily presenter to be thousands of miles from the production team unless there are mitigating circumstances. eg reporting from a major global event.

For example Eddie Mair is an integral part of PM production and it shows.
    Money for old rope.

I think given the choice I'd rather present from Salem than Salford. At least he won't be mugged on the way home.
  • Options
    RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    old pilot wrote: »
    Frankly I think it is wrong for a mainstream daily presenter to be thousands of miles from the production team unless there are mitigating circumstances. eg reporting from a major global event.

He's hardly mainstream being on at 1:00 am .Broadcasting 1000s of miles from the production team is what is loosely called technological 'progress' .

:)

Fascinating link from previous OP about Sharp .I knew he loved the US,but i never realised he lived there.Even went to Princeton -smart guy!
  • Options
    RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's hardly mainstream being on at 1:00 am .Broadcasting 1000s of miles from the production team is what is loosely called technological 'progress' .

:)

Fascinating link from previous OP about Sharp .I knew he loved the US,but i never realised he lived there.Even went to Princeton -smart guy!

Must be odd when the science phone in is on..Rhod in US...Karl in OZ..caller in UK...three different time zones!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The production team are in Salford where the programme is produced. Research briefs and questions will be delivered via computer link.

Old Pilot, Why? Up All Night is a show more or less based around world affairs whilst the UK sleeps. It's occasionally necessary to cover big breaking UK stories, but in this day and age him being in the United States shouldn't be a problem. All a presenter in London or Salford would be doing during a major occurrence is listening to his producer keeping an eye on news channels and his computer.
    For example Eddie Mair is an integral part of PM production and it shows.
    In this day and age it's just as easy to be part of a production meeting from the United States or in Salford. There is an argument as he's not in the Salford/UK media bubble he can bring a fresh perspective on events.
    I think given the choice I'd rather present from Salem than Salford. At least he won't be mugged on the way home.
    Obviously like all presenters, people either like Rhod, don't mind him or dislike him. But if you're working on the basis that most the audience like Rhod, it's better to have him do it from the States than someone the audience don't like from Salford.

I'm a firm believer that it's the sound that comes out of the speakers that count and I think only a moron would think otherwise.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RikScot wrote: »
    Must be odd when the science phone in is on..Rhod in US...Karl in OZ..caller in UK...three different time zones!

YES!! When I discovered this fact a few weeks back, and then listened to Dr Karl, the same thought crossed my mind that the listener, me, the guest Dr Karl, and the presenter Rhod were infact not only in different countries, but entirely different continents too.
    Also at times I'm not even sure Dr Karl is aware Rhod is not in the UK with some of the comments he passes.

Has Rhod ever actually openly come clean to his loyal listeners that he is not "Up All Night" like we are, and that he is merely "Up All Evening". He ought to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regarding the nightly chats with USA Today's Bill Nicholson that have been a fixture for many years now, I've been trying to find a picture of him online without success, does anyone know of one or what he looks like. I'd like to know, and it's a shame that the Up All Night part of 5 Live's website cannot put a pic up of their long running contributors like him.
  • Options
    Peace100Peace100 Posts: 3,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didnt know about this until recently...what I cannot understand is that why was there so much fuss that 5Live presenters had to do their shows from Manchester when Rhod comes from the USA? Surely its content that matters, not studio location....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Regarding the nightly chats with USA Today's Bill Nicholson that have been a fixture for many years now, I've been trying to find a picture of him online without success, does anyone know of one or what he looks like. I'd like to know, and it's a shame that the Up All Night part of 5 Live's website cannot put a pic up of their long running contributors like him.
    It seems he goes under his full name of William F Nicholson. But I can't find you a photo. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peace100 wrote: »
    I didnt know about this until recently...what I cannot understand is that why was there so much fuss that 5Live presenters had to do their shows from Manchester when Rhod comes from the USA? Surely its content that matters, not studio location....

You are right. It is a glaring contradiction. I've listened since the start and only found out about a month back. It didn't notice sound wise (I listen via a headset) and I'm just surprised that I never picked up on the fact or that it was never knowingly openly mentioned.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are right. It is a glaring contradiction. I've listened since the start and only found out about a month back. It didn't notice sound wise (I listen via a headset) and I'm just surprised that I never picked up on the fact or that it was never knowingly openly mentioned.
    I'd love to know the set up used, and whether it's changed technology wise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to know the set up used, and whether it's changed technology wise.

I'd just like to know exactly how long he has been doing the show from the United States. It cannot have been for years and years surely? That would seriously surprise me as a continued listener all through since 1994.
    It must be a fairly recent, like couple of years at most, arrangement. If not, then I am astonished.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old Pilot, Why? Up All Night is a show more or less based around world affairs whilst the UK sleeps. It's occasionally necessary to cover big breaking UK stories, but in this day and age him being in the United States shouldn't be a problem. All a presenter in London or Salford would be doing during a major occurrence is listening to his producer keeping an eye on news channels and his computer.

In this day and age it's just as easy to be part of a production meeting from the United States or in Salford. There is an argument as he's not in the Salford/UK media bubble he can bring a fresh perspective on events.

Obviously like all presenters, people either like Rhod, don't mind him or dislike him. But if you're working on the basis that most the audience like Rhod, it's better to have him do it from the States than someone the audience don't like from Salford.

I'm a firm believer that it's the sound that comes out of the speakers that count and I think only a moron would think otherwise.

As someone who spent a decade in global news tv I agree that the location of the programme does not matter too much.

BBC World and CNN has done it for years. However it has not been disguised from the viewer. If this was the World Service I'd say good idea. However we are talking a UK domestic station here. Apart from the convenience for Rhod I see no benefit for the BBC of having his production team in Manchester when they could also be in the USA.

If he was in Washington or New York then I'd say OK.
    The BBC has plenty of staff journalists who can do the job from the UK and I suspect for very much less than Rhod is paid.

Large numbers of production staff have been to Salford for purely political reasons. They were quite capable of doing the same job from London. Their lives have been disrupted and it's cost the BBC millions. They cannot choose to work from home in a nice location such as the south of France.

Woman's Hour came from London and the regions for decades. Now we are reminded that the programme comes from Salford.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As someone who spent a decade in global news tv I agree that the location of the programme does not matter too much.

BBC World and CNN has done it for years. However it has not been disguised from the viewer. If this was the World Service I'd say good idea. However we are talking a UK domestic station here. Apart from the convenience for Rhod I see no benefit for the BBC of having his production team in Manchester when they could also be in the USA.

If he was in Washington or New York then I'd say OK.

There are many production staff who have been moved to Salford for purely political reasons. They were quite capable of doing the same job from London. Their lives have been disrupted and it's cost the BBC millions. They cannot choose to work from home in a nice location such as the south of France.

Woman's Hour came from London and the regions for decades. Now we are reminded that the programme comes from Salford.

Much as I like Rhod and the show, why do I get this nagging feeling that he would prefer us to think he is in the UK each time he does his show, and not 4000 miles away in North America. Almost like a dirty secret.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much as I like Rhod and the show, why do I get this nagging feeling that he would prefer us to think he is in the UK each time he does his show, and not 4000 miles away in North America. Almost like a dirty secret.

Because he knows it will not go down too well with BBC bashers such as the Daily Mail. Not exactly up all night when he is in his attic late afternoon.

They may start another witch hunt in Salem.

It annoys me that Robert Peston does his Today contributions from what sounds like his bathroom.
    The acoustics are terrible.
    What is wrong with getting in early and being in the studio?
  • Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Old Pilot, in another thread discussing this, you firstly claimed that the BBC was spending a "fortune" on telephone calls to Rhod. Now you've concded that much can be done by computer.

You've also clearly got a bee in your bonnet about the whole BBC Salford project. As I understand it, crime rates in the neighbourhood closest to Television Centre are more than on a par with those in Salford.

None of which is remotely relevant if, as others have said, the quality of what comes out of the speakers is the same.

Despite your assumption that there are plenty of UK presenters who are both willing and able to take on a regular overnight gig - which has only a fraction of the production support of a daytime show - I'm sure that Five Live are happy with Rhod's performance.

The slimmed down BBC would be quick to get rid if he was costing significantly more than a UK presenter.

You've also repeated the same, entirely irrelevant point about Peston.

Who needs the Daily Mail when DS has its very own ex pat BBC basher?
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It annoys me that Robert Peston does his Today contributions from what sounds like his bathroom.
    The acoustics are terrible.
    What is wrong with getting in early and being in the studio?

He does work pretty long hours and it would be a bit much to expect him to be in the studio for Today at 7 or 8 a.m and still there for the 10 p.m. news on TV.

Unless he went in early for Today and then did the TV in the evening from his bathroom - not sure that would work as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old Pilot, in another thread discussing this, you firstly claimed that the BBC was spending a "fortune" on telephone calls to Rhod. Now you've concded that much can be done by computer.

You've also clearly got a bee in your bonnet about the whole BBC Salford project. As I understand it, crime rates in the neighbourhood closest to Television Centre are more than on a par with those in Salford.

None of which is remotely relevant if, as others have said, the quality of what comes out of the speakers is the same.

Despite your assumption that there are plenty of UK presenters who are both willing and able to take on a regular overnight gig - which has only a fraction of the production support of a daytime show - I'm sure that Five Live are happy with Rhod's performance.

The slimmed down BBC would be quick to get rid if he was costing significantly more than a UK presenter.

You've also repeated the same, entirely irrelevant point about Peston.

Who needs the Daily Mail when DS has its very own ex pat BBC basher?

Yes I do have a 'bee in my bonnet about the whole BBC Salford project.'

In my opinion a total waste of huge sums of money which has forced staff to move north or lose their jobs. Meanwhile those further up the pay scale have found ways to stay down south. If it is so great there why are senior managers not there?

BBC Breakfast is now relegated to being a second class programme. London-based politicians and celebrities are not prepared to travel all the way to Manchester just for an early-morning appearance on the show.

And before you suggest I'm a north basher I'm from that part of the world and did my stint in the region decades ago.. I'd like to hear Mark Radcliffe or Stuart Maconie present Up All Night from Manchester.
  • Options
    Forum Member

And before you suggest I'm a north basher I'm from that part of the world and did my stint in the region decades ago.. I'd like to hear Mark Radcliffe or Stuart Maconie present Up All Night from Manchester.

There's the thing, though. Decades ago. Manchester, and Salford, have changed enormously.

AFAIK Radcliffe and Maconie do their daily 6 Music show from Salford.
  • Options
    CapitalLifeCapitalLife Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to tech op a regular show on a national station that had a presenter speaking from somewhere other than London (where people would think they were as the studios were there). Did it matter to the listener, doubt it as they never knew. Did it change the way I feel about UAN when I heard that he wasn't in this country whilst presenting - no. I don't mind on nationals it doesn't bother me. However it actually used to annoy me when at the end of the Edwina Curry show and indeed during it that she mentioned that the show came from Birmingham. That I'm certain was just the BBC trying to show that they weren't London centric. Local stations I feel it's different and you should say if you're outside the TSA, but for national stations does it really matter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Indeed, the claim that BBC Breakfast is somehow worse off because politicians won't come into the studio any more, is somewhat bogus - since many used to (and still do) do their interviews from Westminster.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed, the claim that BBC Breakfast is somehow worse off because politicians won't come into the studio any more, is somewhat bogus - since many used to (and still do) do their interviews from Westminster.
    I'm not a regular watcher but do catch glimpses of it daily, but I can't think when I've ever seen a politician on it:rolleyes: