Options

Do you get "ASMR"?

ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
Forum Member
ASMR: 'Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response', is described as a tingly feeling, sometimes called a brain orgasm, or brain massage people feel when they watch others perform simple activities, instructional videos or from people with certain softly spoken voices and accents.

It is described as an incredibly pleasant feeling, but is not usually at all sexual. Some feel it on their neck and on or around the back of their heads, others feel it down their back or face.

There are lots of videos on youtube with people trying to help others trigger ASMR. I think until recently, it was a feeling that had no name and has only recently been documented and described.

So, do you have it? :)

Comments

• Options
    MarcellloMarcelllo Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. Its nonsense
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Marcelllo wrote: »
    No. Its nonsense

It's not nonsense, I get it myself :p

It may sound like nonsense to someone who doesn't have it I suppose.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, never heard of it and don't think I've ever experienced it.
  • Options
    Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not heard of it before now but I think I have experienced it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, never heard of it and don't think I've ever experienced it.

I always thought it was just me who got it till I searched google. Actually, the google search itself took a bit of skill- I mean, how do you google something like that? :p It turns out a lot of people have it and there's even a sort of bizarre ASMR community on youtube! And believe me, I'm really not one of those airy fairy, hippy types who believe in all sorts of wacko 'mind expansion' stuff! This is a real phenomenon- a definite strong feeling, no doubt. It is so relaxing if you get it, it's strange, but also excellent :D
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    It's not nonsense, I get it myself :p

It may sound like nonsense to someone who doesn't have it I suppose.

It's "nonsense" because everyone experiences these tingles of pleasure to a greater or lesser degree.

Giving totally normal human experiences a ridiculous quasi-scientific label, acronym and all the research accoutrements that they hope will flow from it, is just part of a need for some people have to define themselves as being somehow special and different from the masses.
  • Options
    adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes - that fuzzy feeling.

EDIT - Buy an Orgasmatron for the nearest physical feeling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    It's "nonsense" because everyone experiences these tingles of pleasure to a greater or lesser degree.

Giving totally normal human experiences a ridiculous quasi-scientific label, acronym and all the research accoutrements that they hope will flow from it, is just part of a need for some people have to define themselves as being somehow special and different from the masses.

Couldn't have put it better myself
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cultureman wrote: »

Giving totally normal human experiences a ridiculous quasi-scientific label, acronym and all the research accoutrements that they hope will flow from it is just part of a need for some people have to define themselves as being somehow special and different from the masses.

Wow, you are very antagonistic.

I would differentiate this from just a tingle, it can be pretty intense and it's triggers are incredibly specific and odd and don't happen with other scenarios. It's nothing about being special or different. I wanted to know if other people here got it.

Whether something is normal or not, it can still be labelled. I don't see a problem with that personally. A label was useful for me in this case as it helped me find out about it and find youtube videos and such.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does this tingle sometimes cause you to feel queasy? ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    epicurian wrote: »
    Does this tingle sometimes cause you to feel queasy? ;)

No?

Am I missing something? :p

epicurian: I would describe it as incredibly relaxing, strong feeling of calm, it does feel like a brain massage :p

Everyone who gets it seems to get it from similar triggers- instructional videos are the main ones, with someone calmly making something.

I find it really quaint myself, but I still get it! It's not like other relaxed feelings and as you can see, the triggers are oddly specific! I think if it was just relaxation like any other relaxation, it would have more normal triggfers- like yoga maybe? :p But this is oddly a lot more intense and from weird triggers like the ones I mentioned :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couldn't have put it better myself

Do you feel the same about déjà vu?
    I think saying that people inventing the term just to feel "special" is a bit harsh. There may well be a scientific explanation for it all.
    I'm sure everyone has experienced déjà vu. There's something distinctly odd about it and I'd be interested in seeing it from a scientific viewpoint.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No?

Am I missing something? :p

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=59293452&postcount=15

Nauseous or antagonistic? :D:p

eta: I'm sure I haven't experienced it, but I believe you when you say it's not an everyday sensation.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Oh no, a trawler!

You were holding a grudge?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh no, a trawler!

You were holding a grudge?

Jeez, it was only yesterday. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jeez, it was only yesterday. :D

Fair enough :p

I just have this mental image of you now angrily waiting at your keyboard for the time you could refer me back to my pukey comment at the American love in :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you feel the same about déjà vu?
    I think saying that people inventing the term just to feel "special" is a bit harsh. There may well be a scientific explanation for it all.
    I'm sure everyone has experienced déjà vu. There's something distinctly odd about it and I'd be interested in seeing it from a scientific viewpoint.

Yes, Sensory Neurons

Nothing odd about it at all
  • Options
    BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the OP was struggling to spell asthma
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair enough :p

I just have this mental image of you now angrily waiting at your keyboard for the time you could refer me back to my pukey comment at the American love in :D

As you wish. :D

Sorry to have derailed your thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, Sensory Neurons

I find it odd. I think Deja Vu is interesting :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, Sensory Neurons

What? :confused::confused:
    So the explanation for this phenomenon is that they are merely detecting a stimulus? Maybe I'm an idiot, but to me that doesn't explain very much.
    And I trust you've done extensive research into the phenomenon in order to arrive at this conclusion?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As you wish. :D

Sorry to have derailed your thread.

It's ok, I know I post the occasional shitty comment, I'm sorry :o

I suppose we are remembered for all the wrong reasons here eh? :D
  • Options
    TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a ridiculous pseudo-sciencey type name, but it's a real feeling. Some people record videos of themself pretending to give someone a haircut and stuff.
  • Options
    potatolegspotatolegs Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    ASMR: 'Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response', is described as a tingly feeling, sometimes called a brain orgasm, or brain massage people feel when they watch others perform simple activities, instructional videos or from people with certain softly spoken voices and accents.

It is described as an incredibly pleasant feeling, but is not usually at all sexual. Some feel it on their neck and on or around the back of their heads, others feel it down their back or face.

There are lots of videos on youtube with people trying to help others trigger ASMR. I think until recently, it was a feeling that had no name and has only recently been documented and described.

OMG I used to get that at work when a lady used to instruct me how to do things.
    She had a really soft voice and it made me go tingly and excited.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How about adverts?