Options

The sorry state of Sky Anytime

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
Forum Member
✭✭
Just cant believe how bad anytime is getting, my content consists of just over a page and is full of skystore and 3D stuff, I think there is only actually 2 programs I could actually watch if I wanted to.

Such a shame that sky are running down this service clearly in favour of people who subscribe to sky broadband and can get anytime +

Comments

• Options
    Kingsd316Kingsd316 Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All ISP's can get Sky anytime Plus
  • Options
    THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,453
    Forum Member
    Just cant believe how bad anytime is getting, my content consists of just over a page and is full of skystore and 3D stuff, I think there is only actually 2 programs I could actually watch if I wanted to.

Such a shame that sky are running down this service clearly in favour of people who subscribe to sky broadband and can get anytime +

You don't have to subscribe to Sky Broadband now to get Anytime+. You now can subscribe to other broadband providers to receive it as well.
    Ian.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So how can you get anytime + using say BT broadband. Does the skybox have a wireless feature?
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Georgielady we have BT Broadband and have been getting Anytime + for months now. It was well covered on here that Sky opened it up as part of a deal to get BBC i player as it was a condition imposed by the beeb that it be accessible to all not just Sky BB customers. Though Sky had always said they intended to make it accessible to all.

You can buy a wireless add on from Sky but on the various threads on here discussing Anytime + since it was opened to BT and others there are various cheaper ways suggested.

We just use the basic wired connection from the Sky box to the BT Hub and it works fine.

Just watched something from the Alibi selection of programming on Anytime + this afternoon and it was playable within two or three seconds. HD movies work too but can take up to 5 minutes before you can watch on our BB which is around 6/7 mbs. :)
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You go onto the Sky website and activate Anytime+.

You then connect your box to your router, as you would have to do if you had a Sky router with Sky BB.

You can either hard wire it with an ethernet cable, use the Sky wireless adaptor (which is designed for total plug and play so anyone can use it), get your own wireless adaptor if you can set such things up (an Edimax is about £18 off Amazon, with 5 ports), or use sometihng like Homeplugs.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So how can you get anytime + using say BT broadband. Does the skybox have a wireless feature?

yes you can buy a wifi stick I think for your box?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Virgin Media here. Had Anytime+ for ages.
  • Options
    user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes you can buy a wifi stick I think for your box?

You can't use a WiFi Stick (usually USB), you need a WiFi Access point that uses a short piece of Ethernet to connect to the Sky boxes Ethernet port. I use the Edimax mentioned above by sodafountain on one of my boxes and an Ethernet cable on the other.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to add that Sky appear to have stopped including HD versions of newly added programmes to Anytime + for some reason. There is a thread discussing this and Sky's strangely worded explanation and it makes it a bit of a problem at the moment if you have been using it to watch something that has always had every HD episode on Anytime + (as most major Sky channel series have done on Anytime + unlike the basic Anytime where they just pump out the first one or two then stop).

Hopefully it is just a temporary glitch.
  • Options
    big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geordielady.... maybe you should get your facts straight before going on one of your anti-Sky rants. As many others have pointed out, Anytime+ has been available to all broadband customers for a few months, and there is a facility for wireless access. You can buy the Sky wireless dongle, or you can seek a (cheaper) alternative...there is a long thread on these very forums discussing the merits of various alternatives.
  • Options
    ShadowlandsShadowlands Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really wouldn't bother with the wireless Anytime+ box. I got one for free from Sky, but since upgrading to Sky fibre broadband, the wireless box will almost never find the wireless signal from the router (Even though the TV, the Apple TV, the PS3, the Xbox 360, my iPhone and my iPad which are all in the same area can..).

Ridiculous.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Geordielady.... maybe you should get your facts straight before going on one of your anti-Sky rants. As many others have pointed out, Anytime+ has been available to all broadband customers for a few months, and there is a facility for wireless access. You can buy the Sky wireless dongle, or you can seek a (cheaper) alternative...there is a long thread on these very forums discussing the merits of various alternatives.

it's obvious that she got bored in the "new epg" thread and has now decided to pick on something else to complain about - in her usual non-fact based way.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps they could give us back the disk space and just get rid of Anytime?
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »

They cannot give it back it was never ever there for the user's own use
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Give BACK? That makes it sound like it was taken from you, and you want them to give it back, whereas it has never been your space to start with, so there is nothing to give back :p
  • Options
    user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Rumours are that Sky are thinking about giving the space allocated to Anytime to the user, the issue holding things up seems to be if the user wants to re-enable Anytime and there is not enough free space. I have given some suggestions as to how to overcome this so hopefully they can implement this in the future :D
  • Options
    methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    Another Sky bashing thread from GL:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • Options
    arrasarras Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Just watched something from the Alibi selection of programming on Anytime + this afternoon and it was playable within two or three seconds. HD movies work too but can take up to 5 minutes before you can watch on our BB which is around 6/7 mbs. :)

I'm on Sky Broadband Unlimited, getting 3.5MB on a wired connection (ethernet), with my HD movies taking over 3 hours. Could 3MB really take off 670%~ downloading time?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    arras wrote: »
    I'm on Sky Broadband Unlimited, getting 3.5MB on a wired connection (ethernet), with my HD movies taking over 3 hours. Could 3MB really take off 670%~ downloading time?

Well, assuming it's a 90 minute film, taking 3 hours to download, if an extra 3MB of speed means it's now only taking 90 minutes to download, then yes, after 5 minutes, it will probably see that you are downloading just quick enough to watch.
  • Options
    arrasarras Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Well, assuming it's a 90 minute film, taking 3 hours to download, if an extra 3MB of speed means it's now only taking 90 minutes to download, then yes, after 5 minutes, it will probably see that you are downloading just quick enough to watch.

I just wish that were the case!
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm resorting to netflix at the moment and even the Playstation store because Anytime has been so dull of late.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Georgielady we have BT Broadband and have been getting Anytime + for months now. It was well covered on here that Sky opened it up as part of a deal to get BBC i player as it was a condition imposed by the beeb that it be accessible to all not just Sky BB customers. Though Sky had always said they intended to make it accessible to all.

You can buy a wireless add on from Sky but on the various threads on here discussing Anytime + since it was opened to BT and others there are various cheaper ways suggested.

We just use the basic wired connection from the Sky box to the BT Hub and it works fine.

So the only option is to pay sky for a wireless adapter or go back in time 5 years and start running cables around my house to get onlne. Its around 30 feet from my hub to my HD box, no way would I do that.
    Even hand held games consoles and kindles have wireless as defualt, sky need to make that default in their boxes not expect people to pay extra or run cables around houses.
    But this is still no excuse for sky running down the standard anytime service to force people into using anytime+
  • Options
    THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,453
    Forum Member
    So the only option is to pay sky for a wireless adapter or go back in time 5 years and start running cables around my house to get onlne. Its around 30 feet from my hub to my HD box, no way would I do that.
    Even hand held games consoles and kindles have wireless as defualt, sky need to make that default in their boxes not expect people to pay extra or run cables around houses.
    But this is still no excuse for sky running down the standard anytime service to force people into using anytime+
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Ian.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you'll be on the phone tomorrow wanting compensation I take it?
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alves wrote: »
    So you'll be on the phone tomorrow wanting compensation I take it?

i'm still waiting to hear about what happened when the engineers visited her about all the problems her box had since it got the new EPG.