Options

Since when was Emeli Sande a national treasure?

LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why was she getting so much airtime...? She's been here for five minutes.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd much rather listen to Emeli over Jessie J in all honesty.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    Since Adele was busy, let's be honest.
  • Options
    elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Olympics question. Why did she come back to continue singing the same song?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elasticlove, my interpretation was because the title, 'Read All About It' recalls the newspaper sellers on London streets and is a good segue into the different aspects of London daily life that they were trying to portray. Plus, the inspirational lyrics.
  • Options
    So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Singing at both the opening and at the closing, three seperate times at the later, someone high up clearly is a big fan.

Now I think Emeli is great but it was a bit much wasn't it.
  • Options
    gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waldstein wrote: »
    Elasticlove, my interpretation was because the title, 'Read All About It' is a good segue into the different aspects of London daily life that they were trying to portray. Plus, the inspirational lyrics.

Yeah, I was gonna say the song kinda fit with the themes, I did wonder why they'd split it at first - and re: the title of this thread, I don't think anyone's calling her a 'national treasure' either. She's just a very popular singer, with a good voice who was suitable for the occasion :)
  • Options
    autumnautumn Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least she can sing, and didn't prance about in a leotard.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought she was a bit patchy during the opening this evening but she did a good job all in all. I did wonder why she was so visible in the ceremony though.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'd think Emeli and Jessie J were our only current female singers the amount of times they were wheeled out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'd think Emeli and Jessie J were our only current female singers the amount of times they were wheeled out.

I'm just surprised Will.i.am didn't somehow end up on stage :eek:
  • Options
    konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Have to say we were all wondering if she has some incriminating photos of some members of LOCOG (j/k). She was flipping everywhere, wasn't she? I guess they went for the Adele who said yes :D
  • Options
    StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty sure the featured newer artists in the ceremony were all those who'd broken, been about to break, or are trying to continue a career in America. I know Emeli and Ed Sheeran are aiming at it now, Jessie J has had two top 20 singles stateside, One Direction are touring there and they have an album out, and the songs performed by Tinie Tempah and Taio Cruz were hits on the Billboard Chart.

So not having Adele, these were fairly well-known or up-and-coming names for an international audience.

Were you really expecting Pixie Lott? :P
  • Options
    elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was expecting Alexandra Burke.
    Not.
  • Options
    BunnyfooBunnyfoo Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just surprised Will.i.am didn't somehow end up on stage :eek:

Haha I thought that!
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was rubbish and sang out of tune. Leona or Alexandra would have done an exponentially better job but it appears they're not 'in' with the right people so there you go I guess....I thought all the 'new' British acts they chose were dismal.
  • Options
    Super Roux!Super Roux! Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked her performances, but I was surprised at how much time she got - not that I'm complaining. I'd rather her, than Cheryl Cole get that oppurtunity. :p
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked her performances, but I was surprised at how much time she got - not that I'm complaining. I'd rather her, than Cheryl Cole get that oppurtunity. :p

I was just about to say at least we were spared St Cheryl of Cole.
  • Options
    Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She can sing well. This is probably why she was chosen for the Olympics
  • Options
    Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,184
    Forum Member
    Crikey --- there was a female lead vocal required in the opnening and closibng ceremony ...and she delivered. She was so consistent. Not sure why Leona Lewis wasnt asked as she had the most difficult task at Beiijing. They gave such a time limited and space limited slot and aparantly would not allow access to stadium speakers or rehearsals. She deserved a shinning moment.Looking at the set list - maybe Undoubtedly our best live vocalist.And it was lovely to see Spelbound. Alexandra Burke should have performed with Queen. Jessie J/Tinnie T/Taio was a great complementary set especially with the Bee Gees cover.

Fave Performances of the night
    Annie Lennox - Little Bird (Majestic !!)
    Spice Girls (Uplifting and Epic!)
    Taio Cruz/Jessie J/Tinnie Tempah Medley

Other Goodies; Take That/The Who/PSB/Emeli Sande/Geoerge Michael/ Madness/ Kate Bush Segment
  • Options
    kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should have just had Emeli at the opening ceremony and then Leona on tonight. Run would have been a good choice for the 'emotional montage' section. The UK isn't short of talented young artists, so I don't know why there was such a reliance on Emeli and Jessie J.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    autumn wrote: »
    At least she can sing, and didn't prance about in a leotard.

I dunno...that shapeless, green potato sack did Emeli no favours at all. It looked liked she had midget legs when she was sitting down:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    It looked liked she had midget legs when she was sitting down:o

:eek::D Yeaaaahh.. Had to do a double take.
  • Options
    D*****D***** Posts: 3,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had never even heard of her :eek:
  • Options
    umr3000umr3000 Posts: 1,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emeli Sande is a truly gifted singer/sogwriter and I'm so happy that this year she has gained so much recognition and success...its all been truly well deserved. Also glad to see her perform on such a massive world stage like the olympics and not only that but she performed one of my most favourite songs 'Read All About It Part III' which is a really inspiring and beautifully written song.

More power to Emeli I say!!
  • Options
    sorlosorlo Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    I dunno...that shapeless, green potato sack did Emeli no favours at all. It looked liked she had midget legs when she was sitting down:o
    She did look a bit frumpy. :p