Options

Sharon needs to be at the 'Heart' of the Square

vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,867
Forum Member
✭✭
Sharon is back and that means she needs to be at the heart of the Square, she needs new friends and ties to families on the Square...

Possible new friendships with Tanya & Denise

A possible new relationship with Jack and the ever present frisson with Phil plus I would like her to have a friendship with Syed of all people - he needs a friend.

Comments

• Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    Sharon is back and that means she needs to be at the heart of the Square, she needs new friends and ties to families on the Square...

Possible new friendships with Tanya & Denise

A possible new relationship with Jack and the ever present frisson with Phil plus I would like her to have a friendship with Syed of all people - he needs a friend.

Nick Clegg has more chance of becoming the next Prime Minister than Syed being allowed to interact much with Sharon - I'd like to be proven wrong but I don't think I will be.

I'm not sure about Sharon and Tanya together but it won't take long for her to form ties with many other residents.
  • Options
    bass55bass55 Posts: 18,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sharon will be at the heart of the show, especially if they put her back in the Vic. Which I suspect they will.

I'd love to see her build new friendships with Denise, Christian, Roxy etc. But not Tanya. Please, keep her away from that judgemental biatch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whatabout Cora? Shall we keep her away from Cora too?
  • Options
    los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    Why does Sharon need to be at the heart of the show? I remember Sharongate (in bits and pieces: I was very young, we only had one TV at the time, and my mother ruled the sitting room so we had to watch it) but I wasn't watching for Sharon's last stint so to me she's just some blonde woman who was with the Mitchell brothers ages ago before leaving. I'm pretty sure she's just some blonde woman to quite a lot of newer viewers too. I don't think I'm happy with some random blonde piece showing up and taking over everything without earning her stripes first. I know she earned them in the past, but the past is the past and this is the present: they can't just put her to the forefront of the show and demand that everyone remember her/like her because she was in it before. It won't work and the character will flop.

Before anyone starts on me, I know that a lot of people here have been watching the show since it's conception, but not everyone has all the history or wants to have it. You can't direct a show as big as Eastenders for a hardcore group of fans; you have to make it inclusive to everyone that watches, and that includes a lot of people who don't know who Sharon is. Put it this way: if Sharon was a big draw, like the hardcore fans and producers think she is, this last week of EE would have gotten huge ratings. But they didn't. The first 4 episodes were behind Corrie in the ratings, and only picked up for the last three. Why is that? The adverts for the week, after all, were all about Sharon. It's almost as though people didn't care about her returning enough to tune in...
  • Options
    ESPIONdansantESPIONdansant Posts: 6,760
    Forum Member
    I've watched it off and on since the start but I don't care about Sharon.

I have to say I don't think Letitia Dean is a very good actress and the notion that Jack would fall for her instantly is ridiculous!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,005
    Forum Member
    los.kav wrote: »
    Why does Sharon need to be at the heart of the show? I remember Sharongate (in bits and pieces: I was very young, we only had one TV at the time, and my mother ruled the sitting room so we had to watch it) but I wasn't watching for Sharon's last stint so to me she's just some blonde woman who was with the Mitchell brothers ages ago before leaving. I'm pretty sure she's just some blonde woman to quite a lot of newer viewers too. I don't think I'm happy with some random blonde piece showing up and taking over everything without earning her stripes first. I know she earned them in the past, but the past is the past and this is the present: they can't just put her to the forefront of the show and demand that everyone remember her/like her because she was in it before. It won't work and the character will flop.

Before anyone starts on me, I know that a lot of people here have been watching the show since it's conception, but not everyone has all the history or wants to have it. You can't direct a show as big as Eastenders for a hardcore group of fans; you have to make it inclusive to everyone that watches, and that includes a lot of people who don't know who Sharon is. Put it this way: if Sharon was a big draw, like the hardcore fans and producers think she is, this last week of EE would have gotten huge ratings. But they didn't. The first 4 episodes were behind Corrie in the ratings, and only picked up for the last three. Why is that? The adverts for the week, after all, were all about Sharon. It's almost as though people didn't care about her returning enough to tune in...

Agree with alot of your points and well written ones too.
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont think she needs to be at the heart of the square, dont want it to become the sharon show, which i fear it will become (under santer it was the stacey/ronnie show, under BK kalfie show)
    I want people like chryed/denise to get SLs
  • Options
    phasersphasers Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well now that she's inevitably pregnant with Jack's baby I'm sure we'll see a lot of her

It only takes one go with Jack Branning!
  • Options
    Bonny1Bonny1 Posts: 8,502
    Forum Member
    I adore the character Sharon... glad to see her back... even with Little Lord Fauntleroy...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EastEnders needs Sharon right now, it needs her complex characterisation and depth. Too many copies of Sharon walking around the Square, but they're not her. She brings a weight of history with her, as well as her son!
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do people actually want her to be living on Arthur's bench in the heart of the square:confused:
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    priscilla wrote: »
    Dont think she needs to be at the heart of the square, dont want it to become the sharon show, which i fear it will become (under santer it was the stacey/ronnie show, under BK kalfie show)
    I want people like chryed/denise to get SLs

Too true. It's always a mistake to try and force a character to the forefront of the show, surely they've learnt something by doing that with Derek since his return.

I think they also need to be careful of how many characters they sacrifice or neglect to accomodate her being there.
    Alfie is still popular even if Kat has been demonized. To have him lose his business may not be the best idea.

We have some great characters and actors and they all need to be used.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is she pregnant with Jack's baby?
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    I've watched it off and on since the start but I don't care about Sharon.

I have to say I don't think Letitia Dean is a very good actress and the notion that Jack would fall for her instantly is ridiculous!

Same here, I've watched from the beggining and I can't stand Sharon, and I never get impressed by Letitia Deans acting abilities.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member

wow, thats quick :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    jarryhack wrote: »
    Same here, I've watched from the beggining and I can't stand Sharon, and I never get impressed by Letitia Deans acting abilities.

oh this goes for me as well lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I am impressed...
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Poor Sharon:eek::o:o
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    Poor Sharon:eek::o:o

Poor baby :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,005
    Forum Member
    vald wrote: »
    Poor baby :(

Poor us. We have to sit through the storyline. :mad:
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    los.kav wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure she's just some blonde woman to quite a lot of newer viewers too. I don't think I'm happy with some random blonde piece showing up and taking over everything without earning her stripes first. I know she earned them in the past, but the past is the past and this is the present: they can't just put her to the forefront of the show and demand that everyone remember her/like her because she was in it before. It won't work and the character will flop.

n...

I agree with this. She hasn't earnt her stripes to be at the front of the show at the moment. While the Mitchell/Hevva business is kicking off she got in the way.

If they dont find a way to integrate her she will be out by Christmas. Being with Jack the lunk is the easy option.

Syeds faghag? No chance. I dont think Syed does **** hags. They tried it with Tania and it didnt work.
  • Options
    bass55bass55 Posts: 18,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with this. She hasn't earnt her stripes to be at the front of the show at the moment. While the Mitchell/Hevva business is kicking off she got in the way.

If they dont find a way to integrate her she will be out by Christmas. Being with Jack the lunk is the easy option.

Syeds faghag? No chance. I dont think Syed does **** hags. They tried it with Tania and it didnt work.

Hasn't earned her stripes? Sharon is an original cast member; she has been part of some of the biggest storylines in the show's history. She's the daughter of Dirty Den and Angie, the wife of Grant Mitchell and Dennis Rickman - She's a soap icon in her own right. Sharon is one of the most important characters in the show because of the history she carries with her.

They would not have brought Sharon back without a long-term plan for her character; Letitia Dean even said it took a year to negotiate her return. There is no way she will be 'out by Christmas'. I'm not saying EastEnders should suddenly become 'the Sharon Watts show', but there's no denying she is an important figure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    as a gay man myself i cant stand the word '****-hag' its horrible...
  • Options
    TesphenTesphen Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatabout Cora? Shall we keep her away from Cora too?

I thought she was Cora's secret daughter?
    :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    did you.....