Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

silent witness on bbc1 now

Old 09-02-2013, 23:34
Philip_Andrews
Forum Member

I just watched the last episode. I finally screwed up the courage to watch the last scenes. OMG how could they have written him out like that?! They actually have him arguing with a suicide bomber when the normal instinct would have been to run, get as far away as possible as fast as possible...? That scene was so stupid, I was almost shouting at the scriptwiters! At least if he had just been caught up in an explosion it would have made sense. But to have him put himself in harms way so pointlessly... Beggars belief...

OK that's over with. Maybe they ought to reinvent SW as 'Silent Witness: adventures in criminal pathology'. Then they could go anywhere a bit like Medecins sans Frontieres. They could be free lancers working anywhere and in any manner (forensics, police detection, social workers etc) that might have some tnuous connection to pathology. Abit like they have for the past 17 years. Except they wouldn't have the inconvenient pretence of being a formal set up stuck in a lab. They could be the Indiana Jones of pathology etc.

Goodbye Harry and Leo, the old SW. May you RIP.

Last edited by Philip_Andrews : 09-02-2013 at 23:55. Reason: Additional comment
Philip_Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 10-02-2013, 00:09
cassie1984
Forum Member

that was a really sad ending
cassie1984 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 00:14
DavetheScot
Forum Member

Is Sam Ryan dead in the series? If not they should have had Nikki reading a eulogy from her or Harry.
Sam Ryan wasn't killed off, but I doubt if they'd have bothered having her back for the funeral when they didn't even have Harry (who'd worked closely with Leo for years until shortly before his death).
DavetheScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 00:16
DavetheScot
Forum Member

I just watched the last episode. I finally screwed up the courage to watch the last scenes. OMG how could they have written him out like that?! They actually have him arguing with a suicide bomber when the normal instinct would have been to run, get as far away as possible as fast as possible...? That scene was so stupid, I was almost shouting at the scriptwiters! At least if he had just been caught up in an explosion it would have made sense. But to have him put himself in harms way so pointlessly... Beggars belief...
Leo didn't put himself in harms way pointlessly. He was trying to save everyone else there and the water project.
Old 10-02-2013, 00:23
owllover
Forum Member

I just watched the last episode. I finally screwed up the courage to watch the last scenes. OMG how could they have written him out like that?! They actually have him arguing with a suicide bomber when the normal instinct would have been to run, get as far away as possible as fast as possible...? That scene was so stupid, I was almost shouting at the scriptwiters! At least if he had just been caught up in an explosion it would have made sense. But to have him put himself in harms way so pointlessly...
Why did you have to screw up the courage to watch a TV drama on your screen?
owllover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 00:30
shanders
Forum Member

Sam Ryan wasn't killed off, but I doubt if they'd have bothered having her back for the funeral when they didn't even have Harry (who'd worked closely with Leo for years until shortly before his death).
That's why I said eulogy - Nikki could've read a speech of condolence out by Sam or Harry.
I didn't expect them to get the actors back for one scene.
shanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:10
DavetheScot
Forum Member

That's why I said eulogy - Nikki could've read a speech of condolence out by Sam or Harry.
I didn't expect them to get the actors back for one scene.
Ah. Sorry, misunderstood you.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:14
millysshaw
Forum Member

Only just caught up with the second episode, Did not no Leo was leaving

Had worked out the English speaking Taliban soldier was the missing soldier.

Thought Nikki was very quick to blame Nugent and his team for killing one of the prisoners, she jumped to conclusions pretty quickly without any evidence and went off on one. Then when Nugent was murdered never battered an eyelid or said I was wrong.

Hope when it comes back, they have someone new in charge.

Did notice you never seem to see the same police person in more than two episodes.
millysshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:39
Deep Purple
Forum Member

Will there be a new character? According to Wikipedia, Clarissa is 'Dr. Clarissa Mullery', so perhaps we already have our complement of three medical professionals?

Will leave Nikki doing an awful lot of post-mortems, though.
Most Pathologists do far more PMs than the three of them put together ever do. Thier job is Pathology, not Police work, or selective detective work around the world.

This has surely become as far fetched as it possibly can, and maybe a new series should try to show a degree of reality.

Pathologists, Police, Forensic scientists etc tend to work well together, but in tv shows, there is always conflict, with whoever the the show is about, doing all the work, whilst all the others are dimwits.
Deep Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:48
holly berry
Forum Member

The BBC PR machine mentions that Nikki and Jack will be back next year but what about Clarissa? This season has been all about Clarissa for me - what doesn't that woman know lol
holly berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 16:02
roverboy1965
Forum Member

She's got a bit of a gob though.
Believe me, in a place like that the last people you p1ss off are those in charge of looking after you. Nikki has a lot to learn about when not to shout your mouth off !!!!!
roverboy1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 16:54
Pizzatheaction
Forum Member

A bit of shark-jumping in that final story!
Pizzatheaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 16:59
holly berry
Forum Member

Wonder if, with all the forensic scientists joining the crew, it will end up a bit like that turkey from hell - The Body Farm - that wasn't recommissioned? It's not as if SW has ever sought to reflect what goes on in a path lab. I blame Quincy!
holly berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 22:50
DavetheScot
Forum Member

Most Pathologists do far more PMs than the three of them put together ever do. Thier job is Pathology, not Police work, or selective detective work around the world.

This has surely become as far fetched as it possibly can, and maybe a new series should try to show a degree of reality.

Pathologists, Police, Forensic scientists etc tend to work well together, but in tv shows, there is always conflict, with whoever the the show is about, doing all the work, whilst all the others are dimwits.
I don't imagine a drama series centring on pathologists would ever be very realistic - the reality would not make for much of a series. It's always been as unrealistic as this; you either accept it and go with it or you don't.
Old 13-02-2013, 20:39
Philip_Andrews
Forum Member

Why did you have to screw up the courage to watch a TV drama on your screen?
Because if you've watched it and loved it for the 17 years of its life then one of the favourite characters gets killed off like that it can hurt...

And in answer to a previous comment, anyone who thinks they can talk a suicide bomber from blowing themselves up by talking sense to them had better think again. When those people are around, you just run for it... Fanaticism cannot be reasoned with... esp. when its suicidal and murderous.
Philip_Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 20:55
saralund
Forum Member

A bit of shark-jumping in that final story!
Yes, I think the shark was comprehensively jumped!

Nonsense, but entertaining nonsense.
saralund is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 21:33
chloeb
Forum Member

Wonder if, with all the forensic scientists joining the crew, it will end up a bit like that turkey from hell - The Body Farm - that wasn't recommissioned? It's not as if SW has ever sought to reflect what goes on in a path lab. I blame Quincy!
Perhaps they should recruit Sam..he was amazing lol
chloeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 23:03
Applebee
Forum Member

I think that SW has moved into more Waking the Dead territory recently (grittier, gory storylines) trying to fill the void that was left by it.
Applebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 00:16
chloeb
Forum Member

I think that SW has moved into more Waking the Dead territory recently (grittier, gory storylines) trying to fill the void that was left by it.
I love Waking the Dead...mainly because of Trevor Eve : )
But yes certainly the lab areas are much darker & sinister looking like WTD
chloeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 23:55
skp20040
Forum Member

Totally agree - this programme is so unrealistic. They should leave out all the love and romance as well ! Better to have something like Whitechapel, where the police work alongside the forensic team rather than have the pathologists seemingly doing all of it.
Firstly its a drama , dramatic licence , thats what the series is, seondly if it was like Whitechapel people would call for it to be axed claiming the BBC should not be replicating what someone else does ( even if the BBC did it first)
skp20040 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 23:44
Pizzatheaction
Forum Member

An update on bottomgate (sorry!) from a 2012 story:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ariel/21587212
Pizzatheaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 16:00
rtms77
Forum Member

When is the season opening coming on?
rtms77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 16:08
Tourista
Forum Member

When is the season opening coming on?
Jan 2nd rtms, so not long now......
Tourista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 21:13
jojo2008
Forum Member

Emilia Fox looking as stunning as ever
jojo2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 21:18
davidseven
Forum Member

I do wonder what is the point of HDTV when muppet broadcasters decide to soften the image like its been shot through greaseproof paper.
davidseven is offline   Reply With Quote