Options

Ovivo Mobile.. Not so good

danielmeahdanielmeah Posts: 461
Forum Member
After nothing but praise for them, it all changed today. when i found out they terminated my sim for not much of a reason (Also stole my remaining credit) . According to my Calculations i have only used 1.72GB (Which i admit i overused but still that aint nearly 6GB)

They still have my CC number which worries me.

Email they sent--

We have seen some excessive mobile data usage on your mobile account. So far in August, you have used 5.8GB of data.

In line with our Terms and Conditions of Service outlined on our website (specifically section 4.8a regarding usage exceeding reasonable expectations of a standard customer on the tariff in question), we regret to inform you that we are withdrawing your service with immediate effect.

Your SIM card has been deactivated and your will no longer be able to access your account on our website.
Should you wish to appeal this decision, please feel free to write to us at
Ovivo Mobile Communications Limited
65 Walton Street
London
SW3 2HT
Regards,

The Ovivo Mobile Team

Comments

• Options
    scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    Can you not just goto the bank and cancel the DD?
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Calculations need to include download and upload and you don't say how you calculated usage. The plan in not designed for heavy users as it's free, the limit (as a free service) is 1GB, you admit you exceeded that.

Also I bet most of that credit was the free £5 that they give you? I can't see what they've done wrong to be honest.

Step 1: User signs up and agrees to a contract and it's terms.
    Step 2: User breaches those terms
    Step 3: Exactly what it says in the contract happens
    Step 4: User becomes upset.

You have to remember that as an ad funded / free service they don't have the luxury of letting you breach the terms in ignore it like some other operators and give much more leeway. They have to pay Vodafone for the usage of their users, there is very little margin on ad revenue. You were simply trying it on and knowingly so as you admit you went over the 1GB and all Ovivo have done is exactly what is in the agreement, which you breached.
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I ordered a sim from them and it never came! :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Calculations need to include download and upload and you don't say how you calculated usage. The plan in not designed for heavy users as it's free, the limit (as a free service) is 1GB, you admit you exceeded that.

Also I bet most of that credit was the free £5 that they give you? I can't see what they've done wrong to be honest.

Step 1: User signs up and agrees to a contract and it's terms.
    Step 2: User breaches those terms
    Step 3: Exactly what it says in the contract happens
    Step 4: User becomes upset.

You have to remember that as an ad funded / free service they don't have the luxury of letting you breach the terms in ignore it like some other operators and give much more leeway. They have to pay Vodafone for the usage of their users, there is very little margin on ad revenue. You were simply trying it on and knowingly so as you admit you went over the 1GB and all Ovivo have done is exactly what is in the agreement, which you breached.

I had no problem paying for the extra 0.72GB but there data counter doesnt work.
  • Options
    ramzezramzez Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    Can you get in touch with them via tweeter, i am pretty sure you can sort it out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    There is no DD and all payments are taken through the secure payment partner Sage Pay, it's quite clear in T&Cs that large overuse will result in disconnect.

If SIM hasn't arrived you can fill in a form online and will get a new one to you within 2 days.

http://ovivomobile.com/missing-sim-card/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was this their free service? Or were you actually paying for it?

Eitherway, is it worth the hassle for this to risk happen later?

I'd reccommend looking into other companies, I'm with GiffGaff the tariffs are reasonable for pay as you go. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Treble wrote: »
    Was this their free service? Or were you actually paying for it?

Eitherway, is it worth the hassle for this to risk happen later?

I'd reccommend looking into other companies, I'm with GiffGaff the tariffs are reasonable for pay as you go. :)

giffgaff doesn't allow tethering, ovivo does :) plus 200mi/200tx/500mb free with no top up, just watch advert in the browser time to time.

What i don't understand is why if you had credit you were not simply charged for it, extra costs 10p i think per mb or something like that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I hadn't got a great deal from Three I would have signed up with Ovivo - at least then I could use EDGE data sometimes and have better 2G coverage.

(My Three deal equates to £1.67 per month for 12 month contract - 300m, 3000t, 1GB data).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TheBigM wrote: »
    If I hadn't got a great deal from Three I would have signed up with Ovivo - at least then I could use EDGE data sometimes and have better 2G coverage.

(My Three deal equates to £1.67 per month for 12 month contract - 300m, 3000t, 1GB data).

Dam that's a great deal. How you get that? you must have been with them for years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    danielmeah wrote: »
    Dam that's a great deal. How you get that? you must have been with them for years.

Bog standard sim-only price from Three (£10 a month so a year's use - £120) but I got £100 cashback from quidco so total cost of £20 for the year. Hopefully Ovivo is still around when my contract expires and I can join then.
  • Options
    johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no DD and all payments are taken through the secure payment partner Sage Pay, it's quite clear in T&Cs that large overuse will result in disconnect.

If SIM hasn't arrived you can fill in a form online and will get a new one to you within 2 days.

http://ovivomobile.com/missing-sim-card/

Yay and there she is again! I did ask you before if you worked or were connected with Ovivo but for some reason my posts were deleted.

I think it's only fair if you are connected to a company you should declare it in your username, you only post in threads that mention this company.

Just wonder if this post gets deleted :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    johnathome wrote: »
    Yay and there she is again! I did ask you before if you worked or were connected with Ovivo but for some reason my posts were deleted.

I think it's only fair if you are connected to a company you should declare it in your username, you only post in threads that mention this company.

Just wonder if this post gets deleted :rolleyes:

She is the head of marketing according to this page
    http://ovivomobile.com/ovivo-management-team/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ramzez wrote: »
    giffgaff doesn't allow tethering, ovivo does :) plus 200mi/200tx/500mb free with no top up, just watch advert in the browser time to time.

What i don't understand is why if you had credit you were not simply charged for it, extra costs 10p i think per mb or something like that.

Fair enough, although the OP doesn't mention tethering, so that might not be relevant.

I agree with you on the fact that if there was credit, why it wasn't used to fund the excessive usage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    danielmeah wrote: »
    She is the head of marketing according to this page
    http://ovivomobile.com/ovivo-management-team/

Well there you go, it should say 'Ovivo Management' under the username instead of 'Forum Member'.

Her other posts were in defence of the company so it's only fair that people should know her posts have a bias.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if your sim has been terminated can you still ask for a PAC and get your number?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    johnathome wrote: »
    So if your sim has been terminated can you still ask for a PAC and get your number?

Nope they are refusing to budge.
  • Options
    grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they've switched off your service already, then their systems probably won't be able to port a number. Doesn't the service have to be active for that to happen?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If they've switched off your service already, then their systems probably won't be able to port a number. Doesn't the service have to be active for that to happen?

Not sure. Think i may contact ofcom. And try and get some compensation from ovivo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fair enough, although the OP doesn't mention tethering, so that might not be relevant.

I agree with you on the fact that if there was credit, why it wasn't used to fund the excessive usage.

yes they do mention it http://ovivomobile.com/501/help-centre/help-help/do-you-support-tethering-and-do-you-restrict-the-data-speed-at-all/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ramzez wrote: »

I was reffering to the OP (original post), it doesn't mention whether or not tethering is something they require.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was reffering to the OP (original post), it doesn't mention whether or not tethering is something they require.

No i didnt tether nor did i need to on that account, as i already do that on my t-mobile account (Which by the way is much much faster)
  • Options
    AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use one in my backup phone and tethered it to my Nexus 7 worked ok.But im only using it for browsing and email if you start using it for youtube,tvcatchup etc its bound to be turned off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As i expected. a bait and switch. They changed all there plans and have started "offering" Packs.

http://ovivomobile.com/1379/blog/important-notice-to-customers-changes-in-ovivos-service/

Users now get 50 Mins a month lol!
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A statement from the CEO sent by email to all Ovivo customers.
    Dear All,

As a loyal customer of Ovivo Mobile, I wanted to take the time to personally comment on the changes to our service over the past two weeks and explain to you the reason why we have had to make the changes we have.

Ovivo Mobile was created, to drive about a necessary change in the industry and move away from the traditional method of providing phone service. By giving away the free usage we have each month, we sought to use Advertising to drive revenues and subsidise that which we provided for free, all the while, aiming to provide the best customer service possible.

After three months of operating the business, we have been the target of fraudulent use of our service. Whilst the number of these fraudsters is small, they have sought to attack the core business model that Ovivo practices and undermine our business. Some of these people have used the service excessively, purchased multiple SIM cards, in some cases in different names (swapping these SIM cards between their phones in order to just use the free voice, text and data we offer) and in some cases actively promoting ways in which our advertising systems could be bypassed.

It is personally a huge shame that the greed of a few has undermined a service that so many enjoy fairly. Customers that fraudulently use our service, breaching our terms and conditions and undermining our company’s stability, will not be tolerated and will actively have their service revoked.

We aim to keep providing the service we have to date to the best of our abilities. Our intention is to reintroduce our advertising components over the coming months, so that we can return to the previous model we enjoyed offering, when possible.

It was personally for me a great pleasure to see so many people enjoying the service we offered, however in contrast a huge disappointment to see some actively seeking to take advantage of us. Hence when the action was taken at the end of August I had mixed emotions of regret, but determination to prevent this company from being jeopardised by a small group of fraudulent users.

Going forward, we will continue to identify these users and take action accordingly, whilst still aiming to offer great value and service to our loyal customers.

Many thanks,

Dariush Zand

CEO and Founder

It is a shame that people were using VPNs to try and get around the ads and not playing fair etc. It's the same when people get unlimited phone data and then tether and use massive amounts of data when they are only paying a smaller amount which doesn't include tethering. It's users like this that cause these deals to end, however this was very foreseeable.

I think the way Samba operate whereby you have to watch the ads to earn the credit is a more sustainable one.