How many times can you reheat chilli con carne?

Iggy's BoyIggy's Boy Posts: 3,321
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I made a beef chilli on Thursday, cooled it, put in in the fridge. I reheated it on Friday and ate most of it, then refrigerated it again fairly soon after. It's been in the fridge since then, so can I reheat it once more and eat it safely?

What do you reckon?

Comments

• BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't, it's 5 days since it was made, and since then it's been heated again
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    I have to admit that 'm pretty slapdash when it comes to strictly following food safety guidelines, but I don't think even I would eat any more of it. The problem is that no matter how carefully you've cooked and cooled it, the food will have been exposed to the 'danger' temperature range a couple of times over. You should really only reheat meat once. Plus, at nearly five days old, it will be past its prime anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    ooohh rice is abit dodgy to reheat..if you had rice too..i would bin it
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    In future if you're making a big batch then portion out a bowl full and nuke it, leaving the rest in the fridge.

Or freeze it in portions.

As for your current batch, I would slowly microwave it (5 mins on 50%) and then smell and taste it.

If it seems ok then go for it. ;)
  • Iggy's BoyIggy's Boy Posts: 3,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your replies guys.

Despite the overwhelming advice to the contrary I think I'm gonna go for it.

Will let you know what happens...
  • Beau_SoirBeau_Soir Posts: 1,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iggy's Boy wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies guys.

Despite the overwhelming advice to the contrary I think I'm gonna go for it.

Will let you know what happens...

I've done this loads of times and never once been ill, people go OTT about this stuff these days, go for it!
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would bin it.

The risk comes from the time the food spends in the danger zone. The more times you reheat the amount of danger zone multiplies.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would bin it.

The risk comes from the time the food spends in the danger zone. The more times you reheat the amount of danger zone multiplies.

Too late, I've eaten it! :D
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do check in on DS tomorrow wont you? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update: I'm still alive.
  • 00tommo00tommo Posts: 2,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update: I'm still alive.

For now! :D
  • KodazKodaz Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I made a beef chilli on Thursday, cooled it, put in in the fridge. I reheated it on Friday and ate most of it, then refrigerated it again fairly soon after.

This reminds me of that Craig David song...

Chilli
    Made it fresh from scratch on Tuesday
    Heated it again on Wednesday
    And on Thursday and Friday and Saturday, chilled it on Sunday

Chilli
    Microwaved the rest on Tuesday
    And on Thursday and Friday and Saturday, was rushed into hospital with serious food poisoning early on Sunday morning. :D
  • wavy-davywavy-davy Posts: 7,122
    Forum Member
    Why not just reheat the amount you need in a plastic container in the microwave and freeze the rest?

I normally just do a batch then freeze individual portions in small freezer bags and reheat when required in the microwave. Same with curry or spag bol.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Kodaz wrote: »

Chilli

Chilli
    And on Thursday and Friday and Saturday, was rushed into hospital with serious food poisoning early on Sunday morning. :D

oh my i laughed at that :D
  • fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    Kodaz wrote: »

Chilli

Chilli

What about:

We were chucking up on Wednesday.... and Thursday and Friday and Saturday
  • jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fefster wrote: »
    What about:

We were chucking up on Wednesday.... and Thursday and Friday and Saturday

Pronounced dead on Sunday :eek: :D
  • Robbie_CraigRobbie_Craig Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cook refrigerate 3 day's reheat once are the EHO guidelines. but could stretch to 4 but not after reheating
  • wavy-davywavy-davy Posts: 7,122
    Forum Member
    Cook refrigerate 3 day's reheat once are the EHO guidelines. but could stretch to 4 but not after reheating

How about cook, refrigerate, freeze in portions after 1 day and reheat in microwave as required.
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was young, my mother would make a stew on a Friday.

She would serve herself, me and my brothers, a bowlful, when we got home from school on Friday afternoon, then put the pan (with the lid on) on one of the unlit back rings.

When my father got home from work, she would reheat it, ladle out a bowlful, then return it to the back ring, where it would stand all night, waiting to be reheated for lunch on Saturday.

What remained went onto the back ring again, waiting to be reheated, on Saturday evening.

None of us ever got ill from eating the stew.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would just like to point out that while you're all composing comedy songs about my chilli reheating I am still alive and well.

As the wonderful anecdote above about stew illustrates, I think we in 21st Century Western civilisation have become afraid of food.

It's like we must run home with it from the shops and quickly cook and eat the stuff before it murders us and woe betide if we don't eat it all up in one go because it will turn to poison in minutes and send us to an early grave.:eek:
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something else I remember, from my younger days, is that the grocer used the same slicer, for raw and cooked meats.

If you did that nowadays, the hygiene inspector would shut you down in the wink of an eye.