Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Should X Factor have Live Audience of Closed Auditions?

View Poll Results: Live Audience Auditions or Closed Auditions?
Live Audience 29 11.15%
Closed 231 88.85%
Voters: 260. You can't vote on this poll right now - are you signed in?

Old 27-08-2012, 09:38
PorkchopExpress
Forum Member

My own personal view is that the Live Audience auditions are totally unneccessary and actually less entertaining. I don't know why X Factor persists with it. Is it a revenue stream? I'm not sure how it would be.

What's your view? Poll attached also.
PorkchopExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 27-08-2012, 10:23
Tiggi
Forum Member

Closed.
Tiggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 13:29
WoahOh
Forum Member

Closed.

and the judges and the home audience should see at least ten times as many auditions.
WoahOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 13:45
jackbell
Forum Member

I miss the closed auditions where the judges aren't guided by the crowd and we can't see gurning audience members.
jackbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 13:46
Mr Jazzman
Inactive Member

I voted closed.

For the record though, I found the Voice very dull due to the fact we saw so many auditions and the XFactor has been much easier to watch. We could have seen auditions instead of the staged conversations though - terrible idea that.
Mr Jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 13:52
scamrasc
Forum Member

bit of a no-brainer this one, innit?
scamrasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 13:52
Order
Forum Member

Closed.

YouTube an audition episode from 2004 - 2008 and just look at the difference.

- Acts get, on average, three minutes each, NOT 10
- Dozens of montages per episode
- We got to see so many more acts than we do now. 10 acts through after two episodes? Over two hours worth of auditions and only 10 acts through? Three of those acts were in a montage, too! It's a joke. Would never happen with closed auditions
- Straight to the point. No scripted chats, no filming from home, just very little filler
- Joke acts are hilarious because we don't get 4,000 people chanting "off" and booing them
- The interaction between the judges is great, especially when it comes to the joke acts!

That's just a few points as to why closed auditions are so much better than a live audience.

It really needs to be changed back
Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 13:55
SillyBillyGoat
Forum Member

Closed. The audience is annoying enough in the live shows, nevermind the auditions too.
SillyBillyGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 14:11
dylanpartyon
Forum Member

I liked the open auditions for the first couple times. Would like it to go back now though as Im over it!!
dylanpartyon is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 14:18
Patti-Ann
Forum Member

Definately closed
Patti-Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 14:26
angelofthenight
Forum Member

Closed like in the old days
angelofthenight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 16:25
Nobby Burton
Forum Member

Closed

I detest the audience
Nobby Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 16:33
SWT
Forum Member

I think it depends on the act. Some of them really suit the crowd auditions and it often gives a real feel good vibe around it. But the really bad acts are usually better in the closed auditions because the judges reactions are priceless. We don't really get to hear Louis' mutley laughs anymore!
SWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 17:11
Daigosushi
Forum Member

Oh definitely closed. Going back and watching old clips, its like a different show, a far superior one too.
Daigosushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 22:16
Dreammaster695
Forum Member

closed
Dreammaster695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 22:23
gcmac
Forum Member

I definitely preferred closed auditions, they allowed the judges to have more of a giggle and feel closer to the contestants.
I hate when the audience chant 'off' and when they influence the judges to put through funny but rubbish acts.
I wish even if they keep the audience auditions that they stop doing such a big lead up to the each contestant and then we hardly get to see anyone.
gcmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 22:26
pothuthic
Forum Member

I prefer live
pothuthic is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 22:38
Luke_Fawcett

Ok maybe Closed in the sense we see more, fair point.

But I for one may be Biased when I say I think I prefer live because I actually go to the Auditions BUT I do honestly think its also important to see what the public make of it because half the time when you're there the audience either completely agree or disagree with the Judges and I think for certain contestants (Especially Lucy Spraggan on Saturday) their auditions wouldn't be as powerful + I like the fact they can sing in an earned with a mic/backing track etc.
Luke_Fawcett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 22:56
Nobby Burton
Forum Member

Ok maybe Closed in the sense we see more, fair point.

But I for one may be Biased when I say I think I prefer live because I actually go to the Auditions BUT I do honestly think its also important to see what the public make of it because half the time when you're there the audience either completely agree or disagree with the Judges and I think for certain contestants (Especially Lucy Spraggan on Saturday) their auditions wouldn't be as powerful + I like the fact they can sing in an earned with a mic/backing track etc.
The crowd would respond brilliantly to anyone who could sing in tune
Old 28-08-2012, 10:13
Nobby Burton
Forum Member

The bad auditions were funnier in a closed environment with just the judges
Old 28-08-2012, 10:19
Soppyfan
Forum Member

I prefer live audience cause like someone said it depends on the act. Scott Bruton is a prime example of someone who can audition in a closed room but not do well in front of an audience.
Soppyfan is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 10:24
Mr Hunny Bunny
Inactive Member

Live.

Closed is weird and seedy.
Mr Hunny Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 10:49
SWT
Forum Member

Closed.

YouTube an audition episode from 2004 - 2008 and just look at the difference.

- Acts get, on average, three minutes each, NOT 10
- Dozens of montages per episode
- We got to see so many more acts than we do now. 10 acts through after two episodes? Over two hours worth of auditions and only 10 acts through? Three of those acts were in a montage, too! It's a joke. Would never happen with closed auditions
- Straight to the point. No scripted chats, no filming from home, just very little filler
- Joke acts are hilarious because we don't get 4,000 people chanting "off" and booing them
- The interaction between the judges is great, especially when it comes to the joke acts!

That's just a few points as to why closed auditions are so much better than a live audience.

It really needs to be changed back
I think the lack of contestants now is a reponse to The Voice, but the key difference is they didn't have many more than 40 people auditioning, whereas X Factor has hundreds.

I went to two sets of auditions last year, and at one of the sittings only 3 contestants were shown and they were in montages. That was 17 auditionees I know of that have gone to waste. None were great but weren't bad either, but it could've filled another minute or two in a more entertaining way.
SWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 14:32
intoxication
Forum Member

Closed. With all the changes being made to the show, I'm surprised this one hasn't been made. I suppose it's because they want people to feel like they're involved in the show and a live crowd helps achieve that? But it's not as fun, the judges just openly laugh at the crap people now whereas before it was funny to watch them try and contain themselves. And yes, the 'off off off' chanting is very annoying.

Plus, I liked how it was a build up - closed audition, then boot camp with just the other contestants watching them, then judges houses with their mentor and celebrity guest watching them, and then finally live shows with the audience. Now it's not as special in the live shows because we've already seen them live in the auditions where the venue is bigger and so is the audience
intoxication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 14:36
treme
Inactive Member

Definitely closed. It also adds to the feel of "building up" to something for the contestants. They did the closed audition, then the empty auditorium at boot camp, judges houses, and THEN they were put in front of the live audience after the makeover for the live finals. To use a cliche of the show, it was indeed more of a "journey", and a better show for it.
treme is offline   Reply With Quote